EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Dog days continue, summer days those summer nights

Ginx snewx

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many a Nina autumn starts warm. I don't see a huge reason that this one will be any different. September 2010, 2008, and 2007 were all torches and happened in La Nina, the cooler Septembers of 2009 and 2006 were El Nino Septembers.

If and when the NAO goes positive after this upcoming storm, we should definitely see a warmer regime.

I don't think the NAO will have much affect on us over the next month unless its quite potent....when we transition from early summer to late summer and autumn, the NAO becomes its least influential out of the year. That said, if you get a perfect block close by, then it can be of large influence.

Just as an example, last year we had a -NAO in September and torched, while in 2009 we had one of the few big +NAO months recently and it was cool. In October, the NAO really begins affecting us again.

I don't think the NAO will have much affect on us over the next month unless its quite potent....when we transition from early summer to late summer and autumn, the NAO becomes its least influential out of the year. That said, if you get a perfect block close by, then it can be of large influence.

Just as an example, last year we had a -NAO in September and torched, while in 2009 we had one of the few big +NAO months recently and it was cool. In October, the NAO really begins affecting us again.

It really hasn't influenced the summer-time troughing that some were hoping for, but that's probably because of the nuclear ridge that we've had over the last two summers. At least this year, we've had fronts penetrate into SNE, but last year had so many of those 85-90 post fropa airmasses, near sea level. I think there is a correlaition to the AMO and ridging across the southeast into Atlantic...although the AMO is lower than is was last year.

He is old and senile... He forgets things

Pete will claim it has been cool all summer

It certainly hasn't been an exceptionally warm summer. Yet another cool August day here @ 2k. Very Very nice. Where is all the heat and humidity these warministas having been touting. Hot August phail, Dry August phail.lol

It certainly hasn't been an exceptionally warm summer. Yet another cool August day here @ 2k. Very Very nice. Where is all the heat and humidity these warministas having been touting. Hot August phail, Dry August phail.lol

I can't wait for winter to get here that way everybody wants it to be below normal so that it can snow early. All this denying of the cool and wet summer is starting to take its toll. Ill admit there seems to have been more days above the normal average but it has not been anything that will be remembered as a hot summer it will be remembered as that average wet summer with a week or so of very hot temps with the century mark being cracked a few times. I just dont see this summer as anything more than warm at best. Torch fail, dry fail...

I can't wait for winter to get here that way everybody wants it to be below normal so that it can snow early. All this denying of the cool and wet summer is starting to take its toll. Ill admit there seems to have been more days above the normal average but it has not been anything that will be remembered as a hot summer it will be remembered as that average wet summer with a week or so of very hot temps with the century mark being cracked a few times. I just dont see this summer as anything more than warm at best. Torch fail, dry fail...

Mostly true, though "wet" doesn't apply to slightly droughty central Maine (and doesn't suffice for N.Maine, where "drowned" might be a better fit. They've had enough rain to float Vim Toot's tugboat.) June, and so far in August, haven't been that abnormal for temp, but that "week or so of very hot temps" combined with a scarcity of cool wx (few strong arctic highs, no rainy cool spells) to give many NE/MA locations a top 10 July for temp. For PWM it was #1.

1st frost IMBY has been in Sept. 13 straight years, and has ranged from 1st to 30th, avg is 17th. In Farmington, the median date is 9/19. They've had 1st frost in Sept in 90% of yrs 1893 on, Oct. 7%, August 3%.

My memory has gone down the toilet the past 5 years or so... maybe having kids does it to you???

Had not looked much at the Wachusett site, but that is good to hear. How is the patio thing going? (Deck?)

Still working on it. Time has not been on my side.:thumbsdown:

Digging is not fun.

Hopefully i can get a full day on it tomorrow.:thumbsup:

Mostly true, though "wet" doesn't apply to slightly droughty central Maine (and doesn't suffice for N.Maine, where "drowned" might be a better fit. They've had enough rain to float Vim Toot's tugboat.) June, and so far in August, haven't been that abnormal for temp, but that "week or so of very hot temps" combined with a scarcity of cool wx (few strong arctic highs, no rainy cool spells) to give many NE/MA locations a top 10 July for temp. For PWM it was #1.

1st frost IMBY has been in Sept. 13 straight years, and has ranged from 1st to 30th, avg is 17th. In Farmington, the median date is 9/19. They've had 1st frost in Sept in 90% of yrs 1893 on, Oct. 7%, August 3%.

Lucky for you guys up in Maine.

Defining frost as 36F and lower (using NCDC standards), the 1981-2010 average for BDR is Oct. 17 with 1-in-10 years not reaching that temperature until November. Only three times since 1948 (9/21/56, 9/24/63, and 9/28/57) has BDR had its first frost before October.

Lucky for you guys up in Maine.

Defining frost as 36F and lower (using NCDC standards), the 1981-2010 average for BDR is Oct. 17 with 1-in-10 years not reaching that temperature until November. Only three times since 1948 (9/21/56, 9/24/63, and 9/28/57) has BDR had its first frost before October.

Not to be picky, but that defintiion applies more to rural areas where they radiate much better. Chances are at BDR..if they are 36, the ground level temp won't be too far from there.

Not to be picky, but that defintiion applies more to rural areas where the radiate much better. Chances are at BDR..if they are 36, the ground level temp won't be too far from there.

Agreed, and I initially used 35 as the threshold, just to be on the safe side, but I figured I might as well stick with the official thresholds since the occurrence of frost isn't recorded as part of the climate record. Using 35F as the frost threshold, the average date moves up from 10/17 to 10/20. If I use 34F, the average date increases to 10/23, so it's about a three day increase in the average date of first occurrence per degree.

Agreed, and I initially used 35 as the threshold, just to be on the safe side, but I figured I might as well stick with the official thresholds since the occurrence of frost isn't recorded as part of the climate record. Using 35F as the frost threshold, the average date moves up from 10/17 to 10/20. If I use 34F, the average date increases to 10/23, so it's about a three day increase in the average date of first occurrence per degree.

I just keep it simple and go 32F. If you start getting all cute with this, then it becomes more confusing and variable from location to location. I do understand how you can be like 35F at the shelter level, and 32 at ground level.

I just keep it simple and go 32F. If you start getting all cute with this, then it becomes more confusing and variable from location to location. I do understand how you can be like 35F at the shelter level, and 32 at ground level.

Just to be clear, the data I quoted for Farmington and MBY is all based on 32F at the instrument. KISS principle.

Just to be clear, the data I quoted for Farmington and MBY is all based on 32F at the instrument. KISS principle.

But isn't that a freeze? How do you define frost which can occur at 2-meter temperatures above 32? If you're the NWS running a frost/freeze program, how do you differentiate a frost from a freeze for those with agricultural interests?

Do they issue frost warnings at 36F and freeze at 32?

Not sure. Don't think it's a hard and fast rule, but frost advisories seem to start when lows are forecast in the mid-30s. NCDC also uses the 36/32/28 thresholds when publishing frost/freeze probabilities which I assume is their frost/freeze/hard freeze levels.

It really is.lol Where are the record highs? Where are the heat advisories and ozone alerts?lol There was a predictable warm spell at the end of July but other than 2-3 days there has been nothing even remarkable. There'll be a last hurrah around Labor Day and then game over. That's my take on things at least. Meanwhile, another beautiful day in the low 70's with low dp's goes in the record book as we move closer and closer to our snowy fate.

Archived