EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Dog days continue, summer days those summer nights

Ginx snewx

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question guys. I want to move to Adams, Massachusetts eventually, hopefully within the next 2 years. I'm a huge elevation weather nerd, so I'm wondering how is the weather there? All I really know about the area is the elevation is 3,400ft and it's a quaint little town. How many inches of snowfall a year is the average? and what is the average summer time temperatures there? Any input would be much appreciated, I can't wait to actually witness the heart of a Nor' Easter instead of always being on the edge.

The town of Adams is at 800' in a deep valley with Mt. Greylock just to the west and the Hoosac Range (~2,500') to the east. As such, it downslopes brutally in most situations. It's a beautiful town scenically though with the mountains around. Areas to just to E like Florida, Peru, Windsor, and Savoy are much, much better for snow. In fact, even I average a bit more snow than Adams does at 1,150' in Lenox (about 20 miles to the S of Adams). For the best snow in this area, I'd recommend Woodford, VT (just E of Bennington on Rte. 9) at about 2,300'. It's upslope snow haven, and is a major jealously spot for me.

guarantee NW CT sees less than last year

That could be said about most places with a pretty good degree of certainty.

Meanwhile what a nice, crisp, clean airmass we have had in place. Just brought the dog out before bed and this has to be the coolest night so far this summer. Could see my breath and it doesn't just disappear as soon as it comes out. Its nights like this that let you know the best season is not far away and that this summer is losing its grip, its not ready to completely let go yet, but its running out of time.

If only the full moon wasn't out it would have been great weather for the meteor shower. Maybe the orionids in late october might be the next best shot at seeing more than usual as it the moon looks to be a quarter full. On a clear night with the kids I have seen about 10-15 an hour without any sort of meteor shower event but its much better when you can see upwards of 75 an hour during some of the more active showers.

A two bunner?!! Why? It's true grasshopper. Not nearly as many birds singing at dawn now. In May and June there is a din at this time of day. Right now all I hear are crows and Bluejays. You city people are completely detached.

LOL, just make sure you don't get mauled by a bear looking for some grub before the winter. God forbid you have to call that meat stretcher of an ambulance company for some medical attention. Might as well swallow a shotgun.

LOL, just make sure you don't get mauled by a bear looking for some grub before the winter. God forbid you have to call the meat stretcher of an ambulance company for some medical attention. Might as well swallow a shotgun.

What a lovely post. I know you are somewhat objective so I'm sure you can agree this August is not going the way the Torch fetishists envisioned. It's going to go in the books as cool and wet.

This takes us through 2/3 of August. Just about perfect. So great to cruise through the dog days of summer uncathed by heat. Love not getting out of the 60's on an August day.

Sunday: Rain likely, mainly after 4pm. Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 72. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Sunday Night: Rain. Patchy fog. Low around 63. Light south wind. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Monday: Rain. Patchy fog. High near 67. East wind between 6 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Monday Night: Showers likely, mainly before 8pm. Patchy fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 60. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 72.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 74.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 73.

Thursday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 69. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

What a lovely post. I know you are somewhat objective so I'm sure you can agree this August is not going the way the Torch fetishists envisioned. It's going to go in the books as cool and wet.

I'm just kidding.

My guess is that August does come in above normal overall, however it will likely be on the wetside as well. I still don't see any crazy torches for the forseable future, but I can envsion a few swampazz days coming up.

The whole Dog Days of August thing really doesn't apply to Upstate NY or NE. Most years the worst heat is done after the first week of the month. Yeah we get an occasional heatwave again in some years, but not the long grinding heat/humidity of the so called Dog Days. I'm not sure where the term originated..maybe somewhere in the Heartland or the South.

Once again a low of 50F. Have to wait till the next cool shot for 40's here.

47/47, just loving these brutally hot summer nights. The early morning birdsong has already much more quiet than it was even a month ago. Fewer voices in the choir. Better get busy prepping for Winter, its on the way.

A two bunner?!! Why? It's true grasshopper. Not nearly as many birds singing at dawn now. In May and June there is a din at this time of day. Right now all I hear are crows and Bluejays. You city people are completely detached.

Yup....the transition has begun. I really noticed it yesterday morning when I was cold walking the dog (new puppy!) at 6am. Typical August up here...the mornings start to be cold. Unlike you I'd like some warm sunny days to ripen up the melons and the rest of the tamaters, a gorgeous warm September and then an early snow in late October. And then off to the races...

I'm just kidding.

My guess is that August does come in above normal overall, however it will likely be on the wetside as well. I still don't see any crazy torches for the forseable future, but I can envsion a few swampazz days coming up.

I know.lol It's been pretty cool here, if it comes in above normal I'd be surprised. If it does it won't be by much.

The whole Dog Days of August thing really doesn't apply to Upstate NY or NE. Most years the worst heat is done after the first week of the month. Yeah we get an occasional heatwave again in some years, but not the long grinding heat/humidity of the so called Dog Days. I'm not sure where the term originated..maybe somewhere in the Heartland or the South.

Once again a low of 50F. Have to wait till the next cool shot for 40's here.

Yup, the worst has passed. It has been an enjoyable summer, just not much in the way of HHH weather.

Yup....the transition has begun. I really noticed it yesterday morning when I was cold walking the dog (new puppy!) at 6am. Typical August up here...the mornings start to be cold. Unlike you I'd like some warm sunny days to ripen up the melons and the rest of the tamaters, a gorgeous warm September and then an early snow in late October. And then off to the races...

HAHA! another sign of the return of cool weather. Mahk making posts. I've been in the 40's the last couple of mornings and it has felt so good. I get so much energy from cold air. Our tomato plants didn't do so well this year. They had a rough start with the rain in June and just never did much. The pumpkins are doing well though. Hope all is well with you. Looking forward to another fun Winter season here on the boards.

Well vaca is over. Heading home today sadly. Did a 10 mile run this morning with temps near 50. Swampazz comes back tomorrow and beyond so hope everyone enjoyed the mild down

You can try to spin it anyway you want but the fact remains it's going to be cool and wet for the balance of the next 7-10 days. Your August torch has been mercilessly extinguished. At least you had a chance to get out into the mountains. Now it's back to the BDL tarmac for you.lol

I know.lol It's been pretty cool here, if it comes in above normal I'd be surprised. If it does it won't be by much.

Yup, the worst has passed. It has been an enjoyable summer, just not much in the way of HHH weather.

HAHA! another sign of the return of cool weather. Mahk making posts. I've been in the 40's the last couple of mornings and it has felt so good. I get so much energy from cold air. Our tomato plants didn't do so well this year. They had a rough start with the rain in June and just never did much. The pumpkins are doing well though. Hope all is well with you. Looking forward to another fun Winter season here on the boards.

51 this am and that seems to flip a switch in me and I'm back on the board. I haven't had enough beach time yet. The tomatoes have been fantastic here....it has been pretty hot out this way compared to you. My Brandywine heirlooms are just coming in...enormous and unbelievably sweet. Just put in some mustard greens, kale, lettuce, beets, carrots and chard for the fall. This week of rainy cool weather should really help them. My tomatoes should go into mid September...I'll be canning and freezing like crazy. Please remind me during the first big stahm that I should go pull out some tomato vegetable soup.

All is well here. We lost our old dog Zoe in early June. She was a golden who made it to 14. Now we have Sophie a little 12 week old blond golden. Life is good, business is great. We are pondering building a Yankee Barns home on nice piece of land....or buying a condo in Philly as a second home. 200 a square foot is what I'm thinking...

You are well it seems?

51 this am and that seems to flip a switch in me and I'm back on the board. I haven't had enough beach time yet. The tomatoes have been fantastic here....it has been pretty hot out this way compared to you. My Brandywine heirlooms are just coming in...enormous and unbelievably sweet. Just put in some mustard greens, kale, lettuce, beets, carrots and chard for the fall. This week of rainy cool weather should really help them. My tomatoes should go into mid September...I'll be canning and freezing like crazy. Please remind me during the first big stahm that I should go pull out some tomato vegetable soup.

All is well here. We lost our old dog Zoe in early June. She was a golden who made it to 14. Now we have Sophie a little 12 week old blond golden. Life is good, business is great. We are pondering building a Yankee Barns home on nice piece of land....or buying a condo in Philly as a second home. 200 a square foot is what I'm thinking...

You are well it seems?

Checkout Timberpeg, I've built about 20 of them and they're high quality. I've heard mixed reports about Yankee Barns. I've never put one up myself. 200sq/ft might be a little optimistic. 225-250 sq/ft is probably more like it. Be careful when getting sq/ft quotes because it is easy to massage the numbers and omit certain things to keep the number low. If you have questions about any proposals submitted to you please feel free to PM me as I'd be happy to help out. Life here is very good, we have a new member of the family and are enjoying her very much. Business is very good right now but the market spasms have us worried about some big projects we have in the final planning stages. We don't want to be left at the altar. The last time the market crashed we had about 3 mil in projects evaporate over night. Some of those clients have just come back to the table and we are worried they will get cold feet again. Building a house can be a great experience if you get involved with good people. Check references,any GC worth dealing with will have a long list of references. The most important obne is probably the person they are currently working with. A few shots of Timberpeg. See more at Timberpeg.com

You can try to spin it anyway you want but the fact remains it's going to be cool and wet for the balance of the next 7-10 days. Your August torch has been mercilessly extinguished. At least you had a chance to get out into the mountains. Now it's back to the BDL tarmac for you.lol

It's not going to be cool. Humid and 74 is not cool. Not even close. It's muggy and uncomfortable. Sorry

Ok, let's get this straight. You are contending that mid 70's with elevated DP's = equals uncomfortable summer weather? Let's see who agrees that this weather is something to complain about. I vote no.

LOL yea just brutal, planning on running the hose over the house to keep it from roasting, also am making extra precautions to prevent heat related stress to the dogs. Searing just searing.

LOL yea just brutal, planning on running the hose over the house to keep it from roasting, also am making extra precautions to prevent heat related stress to the dogs. Searing just searing.

LOL, I almost feel sorry for Kevin. Hopefully this weather will speed up the transformation from torchapillar to Blizzerfly. So far 2-1.

Archived