• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event?

Chicago Storm

GFS continues to get better for Iowa with each run. The storm doesn't really wrap up until it gets a bit east of Iowa, but the 12z breaks out widespread good snow across the state. It has also moved the storm up about a day compared to runs a day or two ago. The 12z has it snowing by Saturday morning. I really hope we can get good snow during the daylight hours.

QPF doesnt match the low strength pattern, but it would certainly be a great hit for a lot of us, and if we can get that northern piece to phase quicker, things could explode.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meh, I'm wondeing if the gfs is telegraphing another northern shift in the globals coming up. The nogaps out to 120 has the low over central IA and the 850 0 line from central MI to the IA/MN border.....so it's gone significantly north.

The GGEM and Euro were N last night.

meh, I'm wondeing if the gfs is telegraphing another northern shift in the globals coming up. The nogaps out to 120 has the low over central IA and the 850 0 line from central MI to the IA/MN border.....so it's gone significantly north.

Yes, the model has been playing "catch-up" the last three runs, so this wouldn't shock me if the next 2 runs trying to show this thing being a MSN or MSP special with everyone to the south going to mixing or rain. One problem I have with a solution too far north is the placement of the PV and the western ridge, which is going to make it really tough for this thing to try and cut west of the lakes, or even ORD for that matter.

Yes, the model has been playing "catch-up" the last three runs, so this wouldn't shock me if the next 2 runs trying to show this thing being a MSN or MSP special with everyone to the south going to mixing or rain. One problem I have with a solution too far north is the placement of the PV and the western ridge, which is going to make it really tough for this thing to try and cut west of the lakes, or even ORD for that matter.

Exactly plus the East based weak -NAO to add into the mix. I could see a left progression in the models only to correct itself back right some as we move along.

Taken from the main forum:

the 12z UKMET has a very similar look to the GFS at 144 hours...primary low of 998mb over SW Ohio but with a stronger suggestion of a secondary redevelopment near the SC/NC border. There is bit more suppression over the North Atlantic than the GFS...a 50N/42W low instead of a 50N/40W low on the GFS...and the slightly stronger lead shortwave beating down 500mb heights to 540 dm instead of 548 dm over western Nova Scotia.

I have a feeling that the 12Z Euro will end up coming at least a little south of its 00z run, based on the way its 00z ensembles were behaving. However, if it stays or moves further north, that could be a sign that the deterministic solution (and the members that agree with it) are on the right track.

same boat as Ohio sadly :(

then of course the trough will dig in and we'll get brutal cold for a few days with nothing but flurries.....until the next pacific storm pumps the ridge ahead, we warm, we rain, ......wash rinse repeat. If this keeps up the anticipated January blowtorch can't come soon enough.

ok...i'm done whining

Archived