mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
DC/MD/VA/WV General Obs/Disc: mid-July - end of August

Ellinwood

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most damage from a thunderstorm in this area since June '08. Lots of trees broken or down. Also brought down two downspouts, one of the a blades off an outdoor ceiling fan, and the kids' trampoline pulled up anchor and got thrown more than a hundred feet into a nearby tree.

My Davis recorded a wind gust to 53 at 10m. Earlier today it registered a HI of 120. Picked up 1.23" of rain. Now at 5.63" for July, the fourth month of the last five over 5.00"

Most damage from a thunderstorm in this area since June '08. Lots of trees broken or down. Also brought down two downspouts, one of the a blades off an outdoor ceiling fan, and the kids' trampoline pulled up anchor and got thrown more than a hundred feet into a nearby tree.

My Davis recorded a wind gust to 53 at 10m. Earlier today it registered a HI of 120. Picked up 1.23" of rain. Now at 5.63" for July, the fourth month of the last five over 5.00"

Wow...hate to see the damage though. It's rumbling around here from all directions it seems and the sun is still out...developing storms close by.

Wow...hate to see the damage though. It's rumbling around here from all directions it seems and the sun is still out...developing storms close by.

Minor, pain-in-the-neck stuff that will require me to be cleaning up in the heat this weekend. Some folks nearby had it worse. A majestic weeping willow that I pass each day got ripped up pretty good in a neighbor's yard.:(

It's been stormy in this part of the state today with tropical like downpours popping up and then dying. It rained hard while we were in the Huntington mall. We came out just as it ended with the sun baking the pavement making it rather steamy. Then a few minutes later it was raining hard again. At home it rained only 0.15". No heat here today...

did your power come back on.

while out and about today saw a bunch of big branches down on our street and cross street, and whole trees down around town.

thunder has begun just as we were thinking of heading up to Hagerstown...so we'll just wait for the storms to pass, given the prevalence of fallen branches and trees.

Power was back after the storms passed yesterday, so no harm done. Leaving my neighborhood, headed toward Spring Mills, there is a rise in elevation to a crest at the top of Tice Rd. (Pretty good panoramic view there.) Saw the most damage in that area. Trees uprooted. Pretty elaborate kids' play set in a yard there smashed and scattered. Another home, where an older woman is always seen landscaping and keeps a beautiful yard, had the shingles peeled back on part of her roof, and some heavy water damage by the looks of it. I escaped pretty well unscathed. SE winds don't do too much damage with my layout.

Picked up 0.03" and a brief drop in temps from the earlier storm today.

Archived