e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
July/August NYC Metro WX Disco

Dark Energy

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure I've said this before... but you really can't use your own station and then compare its readings to normals of somewhere else. Microclimates abound and strongly affect what is really "normal" at each individual site.

Ray, I'm using the normals of Freehold for my station, not any of the urban centers. I just think its interesting to see how some stations are well above normal while other spots near normal for the month.

Ray, I'm using the normals of Freehold for my station, not any of the urban centers. I just think its interesting to see how some stations are well above normal while other spots near normal for the month.

Yeah, I don't think you can take the normals from another station and use them to draw any meaningful comparisons. There's not a single official station within a 500-mile radius of you with departures below about +2F.

The models are currently showing the potential for NW flow severe storms on Monday.They have us near the jet exit region

with good shear and instability.

Agreed...SPC does as well.

day3prob_0730.gif

...NERN STATES TO THE MIDWEST...

LARGE REGION OF POTENTIAL SVR WEATHER WILL UNFOLD ON MONDAY. A

SYNOPTIC MID-LEVEL WAVE WILL BRUSH ACROSS THE NERN STATES MONDAY

AFTN WITH MODEST HEIGHT FALLS/ASCENT. WSW FLOW AHEAD OF THE

ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT WILL ADVECT BOTH STEEP MID LVL LAPSE RATES AND

INCREASING PWATS INTO THE LOWER GREAT LAKES AND NERN STATES.

CONVECTION SHOULD BE ONGOING OVER QUE/SERN ONT AND PSBLY NRN NEW

ENGLAND EARLY IN THE DAY. AMID INCREASING WNW FLOW ALOFT AND

INCREASING MONDAY AFTN INSTABILITY...BANDS OF STORMS WILL

SUBSEQUENTLY INCREASE ALONG THE COLD FRONT AND LEE TROUGH FROM

CNTRL/SRN NEW ENGLAND SWWD INTO PARTS OF NY. WRN PARTS OF THIS

ACTIVITY MAY GRAZE PORTIONS OF PA AND NJ BY EVENING. HIGH

WINDS/LARGE HAIL WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH BOWS AND MULTICELL CLUSTERS.

THE ACTIVITY SHOULD WEAKEN S OF THE MASON-DIXON LINE DURING THE

EVENING HOURS.

Yeah, I don't think you can take the normals from another station and use them to draw any meaningful comparisons. There's not a single official station within a 500-mile radius of you with departures below about +2F.

My temp departures are usually similar to the urban centers, except when good radiational cooling nights dominate, then there's a bit of a disparity.

This year NYC versus IMBY

June NYC: +1.1 IMBY: +0.8

May NYC: +1.9 IMBY: +1.8

April NYC: +1.8 IMBY: +2.6

March NYC: -0.2 IMBY: +0.5

Feb NYC: +1.4 IMBY: +3.4

Jan NYC: -2.4 IMBY: -2.2

I'd say that's fairly close overall. For this month its kind of unfair to compare right now, as we still have 15 days left of the month.

Today is an A-L-E-X day.

WNW flow.

JFK is 4-5 degrees above everyone already, except for Newark.

Torch all you want. I'm headed to the beach today and tomorrow.

It seems to have been like this all summer. This is awesome! This summer is Cano to last year's A-Rod! :)

That still may not be applicable. There can still be microclimatic differences even between your house and Freehold. Take Somerville Airport for example... we all know its a pit that gets extra cool on many radiational nights.

That still may not be applicable. There can still be microclimatic differences even between your house and Freehold. Take Somerville Airport for example... we all know its a pit that gets extra cool on many radiational nights.

There are some really weird nights when Tom's River (KMJX I think?) radiationally cools even better than Westhampton Beach (KFOK)!

True. I tend to be one of the cooler spots in Monmouth county on good radiational cooling nights, that's where the largest difference would be. Daytime differences are negligible as well as overnight's with winds not calm.

The models are currently showing the potential for NW flow severe storms on Monday.They have us near the jet exit region

with good shear and instability.

Monday is legitimate and I wouldn't rule out a low-end moderate risk with this setup; although, I'd like to see the deep layer/speed shear a little stronger for that sort of thing. But I think we can call this a decent EML--not the best EML but decent. What more can be said.

The main thing about Monday is keeping those low level winds from veering too much.

Just a quick note. Been following the longer range once past 7/26 and the gfs and ensembles want to build in the atlantic ridge big time with mroe heat on/around 7/28 after a couple of day cool down between the 26th and 28th.

Just something to watch as another surge of heat and humidity may be in store after a brief reprieve to end July into the start August. Bottom line, it looks very warm and conistently hot the rest of July.

Didn't feel bad outside at all today. That breeze was wonderful. I was sitting in a sidewalk cafe drinking euro type coffee with a friend and felt very comfortable.

I guess we were living in different worlds, lol. Was very hot to me today when I was at work. Though I could definitely go for a fancy strong iced espresso based drink right now.

I guess we were living in different worlds, lol. Was very hot to me today when I was at work. Though I could definitely go for a fancy strong iced espresso based drink right now.

I'm guessing he had a Greek style iced Frappe.

Very dry (humidies below 35%) and a decent breeze most of the day made it feel much more like an 85-86 degree day rather than 88-92.

Indeed. Id rather have low to mid 90s with low humidity and a good breeze than temps in the mid to upper 80's with dews in the high 70's and no wind.

I guess we shouldn't complain though. Minneapolis is at 88F right now with a dew point of 80. And they got up to 93 today.

Newton, IA is at 97 with a dew of 82 and a heat index of 123F. That is pure hell.

A dew of 80 must be hell on Earth. What a disgusting airmass that must be.

Archived