• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
July/August NYC Metro WX Disco

Dark Energy

Indeed. Id rather have low to mid 90s with low humidity and a good breeze than temps in the mid to upper 80's with dews in the high 70's and no wind.

A dew of 80 must be hell on Earth. What a disgusting airmass that must be.

Evapotranspiration from all the agriculture in the Midwest contributes greatly to some of the high end dewpoints there. Here is a good study showing this effect:

http://www.winrockwater.org/docs/Allen_Impact%20of%20Irrigated%20Agriculture.pdf

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evapotranspiration from all the agriculture in the Midwest contributes greatly to some of the high end dewpoints there. Here is a good study showing this effect:

http://www.winrockwa...Agriculture.pdf

Actually that study is about IRRIGATED agriculture in a desert or semi-desert area (Idaho seems to be the main area of the study). The Midwest is *VERY* different.

I've heard corn is extremely efficient at pumping water back into the air... but otherwise, I don't know how much difference there is between the Midwest and the Northeast with regards to the vegetation's ability to put water back into the air...

I knew JFK's winning streak wouldn't last, although you can't even tell the difference between 86 and 89/90. However it better not pull this stunt later this week lol.

Yeah they better get to 100+ later this week or the guy you will be hearing about starting fires on the beach will ME!

I think we could see some mid to upper 90s across the area tomorrow, before convection arrives late in the day The 0z Euro has 20C 850mb temps by tomorrow evening:

The Euro still has 20C 850mb temps. But the blow-off from convection over Upstate NY might prevent us from seeing mid 90s.

I just was in Islip and radar did not do justice to these storms. Second heaviest rainfall rates I have ever seen. Surprised there wasn't at least a flood advisory for this storm.

What storm lol? It was cloudy for awhile but now its bright and sunny again. No sign of any rain at all.

You should have been on Vets highway or the LIE in Suffolk, a literal car wash.

Wow, the second heaviest rain you have ever seen? How much do you think fell there and in how much time? Also, when was the heaviest you have ever seen?

What storm lol? It was cloudy for awhile but now its bright and sunny again. No sign of any rain at all.

Lol same here. I thought it was gonna rain but nothing happened. It sounded intense, wish it happened here too.

The air feel like I'm breathing in air someone just exhaled, not too pleasant. Lol.

Wow, the second heaviest rain you have ever seen? How much do you think fell there and in how much time? Also, when was the heaviest you have ever seen?

The rates had to be approaching 2.00" an hour. Hard to tell how much accumulated as I was driving home from MacArthur Airport. The heaviest I ever saw was about eight years ago driving home from Sunrise Mall when it began to leak in the mall. Unfortunately a wrong turn was made going onto Sunrise Highway and we went under the LIRR underpass adjacent to the mall and the water was at car door level. I want to see the 00Z METAR from KISP to see their six hour total.

Edit: The six-hour precip report is 0.78".

Archived