mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
July/August NYC Metro WX Disco

Dark Energy

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I combined a few different exposures since some parts weren't as bright and wanted to get the full rainbow.

Is that you house in the middle, Ben? It looks like the sun is shining right on it-- the apex of the rainbow must be right over it lol.

Idk Metsfan,

It looks very hot days 7-11. Has the 850's close to 25c into NYC. Yes, after this period the heat breaks down, but its still hot days 7-11.

So 5 days of heat perhaps 100+? We were between 20-25C on the 850s last year in early July.

You may be right re August as I am a bit worried about my cooler look in the Northeast. It's difficult to get an analog to work for more than 2 consecutive seasons. With that said, I still would be impressed to see all 3 summer months come in above normal temp wise in NYC.

Actually, I was referring more to the country as a whole, given the exceptional drought conditions. I do agree that ultimately the trough in the East becomes more sustained. However, I think the beginning to middle part of August will not be quite as chilly as 2008, but there will probably be some sort of below normal area nearby (perhaps more seasonable near the coastal plain?). Although, I like the idea that as the month goes on and we move into September, the anomalous warmth returns again. In late August 2008, the MJO surged into phase 2 and Fay and Gustav brought a lot of rainfall to the southern-tier. This brought widespread wetter/cooler than normal readings for areas such as Texas; which at this stage, would he hard to pinpoint. Having said that, it appears the next surge of MJO activity into the El Niño phases would be late August. :whistle:

NAM is advertising low to mid 90's for Sunday and Monday.

This is before the heat wave that the global models are advertising for next Wednesday, lasting a few days.

12z NAM cooled slightly for Sunday. Has 90% of the area into the upper 80's and a small area into the low 90's.

Monday is low to mid 90's for all.

Radiational cooling once again creating a huge differential b/t here and NYC urban stations for July temp departures.

I'm at -0.2 for July thus far and finished +0.8 for June, so overall a pretty comfortable, average summer. That will change by next week.

After a low of 60 its 82 now with pleasant humidity, a bit too September like for my taste.

went fishing this morning and it was really chilly and unsummerlike..Not that i dont like that weather but i prefer it in the fall.. Then after a few hrs i roasted, lol.

Radiational cooling once again creating a huge differential b/t here and NYC urban stations for July temp departures.

I'm at -0.2 for July thus far and finished +0.8 for June, so overall a pretty comfortable, average summer. That will change by next week.

What statin are you using?

Heres how the main stations are stacking up in this very warm July

DCA +3.6

NYC +2.2

EWR: +4.1

TTN: +3.4

ACY: +4.2

BOS +3.4

DCA +3.6

NYC +2.2

BOS +3.4

Tony, I believe JFK is almost +5 for the month after being +3.5 in June!

2pm roundup. Newark will most likely hit 90 between 2 and 3pm:

EWR: 89

JFK: 84

LGA: 82

NYC: 87

Wow, that's a weird alignment lol-- usually JFK is up there with EWR and LGA and NYC are similar...... 5 degree difference?!

I'm curious about the new norms, that thing they released was impossible to interpret. Are these departures actually closer to normal than they appear?

TWC also referred to 90 as "seasonal" which is odd coming from them. It is seasonal but still....lol.

Depends on how you are looking at it. A day in the 90s is above average but "seasonably hot" (i.e., not abnormally hot).

DCA +3.6

NYC +2.2

BOS +3.4

Tony, I'm using my davis pro 2 IMBY. NYC's mean min for July thus far is 69.6F versus my mean min of 65.4F. High temps have been pretty much near normal overall.

Tony, I'm using my davis pro 2 IMBY. NYC's mean min for July thus far is 69.6F versus my mean min of 65.4F. High temps have been pretty much near normal overall.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before... but you really can't use your own station and then compare its readings to normals of somewhere else. Microclimates abound and strongly affect what is really "normal" at each individual site.

Archived