• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
July/August NYC Metro WX Disco

Dark Energy

Think you'll hit 90 tomorrow before it comes in?

A SW wind for us isnt that bad because it only has about an 8 mile journey across the water.... basically it comes off of Sandy Hook.... for the Hamptons it's more like a 200+ mile fetch over the Ocean.

I think we all easily hit 90 tomorrow.

And Newark and area flirts with 100.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The entire south shore from Shinecock to Rockaways is INFESTED with large thresher sharks. Even a couple Great Whites.

And I'm talking in water only 1/2 mile from shore.

Several Threshers of over 500 pounds were caught last week. All within 1 mile of beach.

The threshers are so shallow for 3 reasons.

a- Spawning

b- Warm temps

c- Gigantic schools of bunker (Menhaden) all over the south shore

Last week I saw pilot whales, thresher sharks, mako sharks and dolphins crashing schools of bunker, 1 mile off of Rockaway beach. An incredible site.

2 friends of mine saw 2 great whites 1/2 mile off of Robert Moses beach on Saturday.

Here's a 530 pound thresher shark caught 1 mile off of Long Beach on July 4th:

211875.jpg

Here's a 500 pound thresher caught in same area on July 5th:

211877.jpg

Great pix. Funny thing is the past two years after returning from Cape Cod, Chatham Mass has been on the news about great white sightings. Just this morning I saw a news report of large sharks spotted in Chatham harbor, near a ton of seals, the exact location I was kayacking only a week ago. A couple of my family members think I'm an idiot for kayacking in shark waters around seals. Most years sharks don't become numerous until July/Aug as SST's warm, but this year they've arrived in June.

My forecasted high for tomorrow is 95. Uggggh, thank god I have work and will be in the A.C.

Forecast high for Dobbs Ferry is 97F, unreal heat.

As of 12:45am, I'm sitting at 81.8/75, one of the most sultry nights I've experienced. It almost feels as if the Santa Anas are blowing with the incessantly warm wind making it even more uncomfortable.

Do you not have any A/C in your place? The bedrooms in my house are the only rooms that are air-conditioned, feels nice in here at a crisp 71F.

Forecast high for Dobbs Ferry is 97F, unreal heat.

As of 12:45am, I'm sitting at 81.8/75, one of the most sultry nights I've experienced. It almost feels as if the Santa Anas are blowing with the incessantly warm wind making it even more uncomfortable.

Do you not have any A/C in your place? The bedrooms in my house are the only rooms that are air-conditioned, feels nice in here at a crisp 71F.

97 Meh-- I want a triple digit special-- it sucks we only get that every few years. The Santa Anas would be AWESOME around here as they are a dry hot downsloping wind :)

Tuesday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 99. Heat index values as high as 103. West wind between 9 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

:blink:

EWR is going to hit 100F tomorrow, easily. I think 850s are a tad low for 105F, just around 19-20C, but it's going to be a close call.

Still 83/71 there now, more clouds down there than here too.

EWR is going to hit 100F tomorrow, easily. I think 850s are a tad low for 105F, just around 19-20C, but it's going to be a close call.

Still 83/71 there now, more clouds down there than here too.

Still not a historical day :( You would have really enjoyed that mega heatwave in 1993-- I still remember fine details of it 18 years later lol.

81 at EWR as of 7am. I think with little if any convection now expected, they should easily get to 100 today. Also the 6z WRF has pretty strong W-NW flow developing this afternoon, that will keep sea-breezes at the coast down. Places like JFK, FRG, and ISP could see highs 95+.

The last few runs it has shown it. Granted it has done this before and took it away, its somthing to watch.

Also like yesterday, the 6z gfs has the heat as well. Lets see if its subsequent runs maintain it today, same for the ecm.

Suspect we do see another surge of heat on/around the 19th, perhaps more sustained.

Archived