• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
July/August NYC Metro WX Disco

Dark Energy

Yup, and its been discussed at length across the board that the very very quiet sun (Isotherm is all over this) and the posibility of a decadal -NAO bodes extremely well for continued blocking as we have seen this summer.

Yeah, but at this point its going to be difficult to go for anything more than a normal snowfall winter based on my above post.... it may be a case of having a generally cold winter with several minor to moderate events, like we did in 2008-09. We already did something historic last winter when we had back to back 50" snowfall seasons, something that hasn't happened since the 1910s. Could it happen again-- sure-- anything is possible. But it's not something you should try to predict 6 months in advance because the chances are so low.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but at this point its going to be difficult to go for anything more than a normal snowfall winter based on my above post.... it may be a case of having a generally cold winter with several minor to moderate events, like we did in 2008-09. We already did something historic last winter when we had back to back 50" snowfall seasons, something that hasn't happened since the 1910s. Could it happen again-- sure-- anything is possible. But it's not something you should try to predict 6 months in advance because the chances are so low.

Taking out the snow, the past 2 years, weren't both winters above normal temps?

Give me 93-94 cold and the decent snows of that year. 21 events.

Inside Shinecock bay water temps are 75-77.

Just outside the inlet in the ocean, the temps are 70-73. 40-50 miles offshore, the temps are 74-77.

I know this beacause, I've been fishing a boat from Shinecock for the past 3 weeks.

Its even warmer a little further out (80-90 miles); the Gulf stream has penetrated that area and we read up to 78-80 degrees in some spots. The Tuna and other pelagic fish are all over it (Mahi, Marlin, Tuna of all species, etc.)

Thanks-- when do the temps peak, early September? It has to be somewhere between late August and early September I think. Have you ever encountered 80 degree SST near the shore? I imagine a summer with a high amount of onshore winds (like 2005 perhaps) would have the highest SST close to the beaches.

Inside Shinecock bay water temps are 75-77.

Just outside the inlet in the ocean, the temps are 70-73. 40-50 miles offshore, the temps are 74-77.

I know this beacause, I've been fishing a boat from Shinecock for the past 3 weeks.

Its even warmer a little further out (80-90 miles); the Gulf stream has penetrated that area and we read up to 78-80 degrees in some spots. The Tuna and other pelagic fish are all over it (Mahi, Marlin, Tuna of all species, etc.)

I feel like its been like this the past three summers I fish near fire island inlet in the bay or out a few miles and the temps now are pushing 75 and for the third year in the row in the evening been seeing bottlenose dolphins jumping as I'm anchored fishing in the evening off the fire island inlet, really cool since we live in new york not florida

Yeah, but we were just trying to compare summer to winter patterns in terms of going from heat to snowfall lol. Was last winter above normal in temps? I know we were very cold in December, January and the first part of February, that's why we had all that snowcover that lasted for so long.

I feel like its been like this the past three summers I fish near fire island inlet in the bay or out a few miles and the temps now are pushing 75 and for the third year in the row in the evening been seeing bottlenose dolphins jumping as I'm anchored fishing in the evening off the fire island inlet, really cool since we live in new york not florida

Yeah, and we've also seen a proliferation of sharks lol. The other thing that above normal SST does is result in brown algae blooms-- it actually makes the water look pretty grisly, although from what AG has said, we haven't seen much in the way of algae blooms this year so far?

The entire south shore from Shinecock to Rockaways is INFESTED with large thresher sharks. Even a couple Great Whites.

And I'm talking in water only 1/2 mile from shore.

Several Threshers of over 500 pounds were caught last week. All within 1 mile of beach.

The threshers are so shallow for 3 reasons.

a- Spawning

b- Warm temps

c- Gigantic schools of bunker (Menhaden) all over the south shore

Last week I saw pilot whales, thresher sharks, mako sharks and dolphins crashing schools of bunker, 1 mile off of Rockaway beach. An incredible site.

2 friends of mine saw 2 great whites 1/2 mile off of Robert Moses beach on Saturday.

Here's a 530 pound thresher shark caught 1 mile off of Long Beach on July 4th:

211875.jpg

Here's a 500 pound thresher caught in same area on July 5th:

211877.jpg

Stop eating so much mercury tainted fish. Both past winters were below normal temp wise, this past winter markedly so.

The entire south shore from Shinecock to Rockaways is INFESTED with large thresher sharks. Even a couple Great Whites.

And I'm talking in water only 1/2 mile from shore.

Several Threshers of over 500 pounds were caught last week. All within 1 mile of beach.

The threshers are so shallow for 3 reasons.

a- Spawning

b- Warm temps

c- Gigantic schools of bunker (Menhaden) all over the south shore

Last week I saw pilot whales, thresher sharks, mako sharks and dolphins crashing schools of bunker, 1 mile off of Rockaway beach. An incredible site.

2 friends of mine saw 2 great whites 1/2 mile off of Robert Moses beach on Saturday.

Here's a 530 pound thresher shark caught 1 mile off of Long Beach on July 4th:

211875.jpg

Here's a 500 pound thresher caught in same area on July 5th:

211877.jpg

I was trying to look for comparisons to summer time coastal sst's for the past 5 years compared to the5 years before that span because to me the water temps for the summer have for sure increased to almost 80 degrees every summer hence the types of fish that have been spotted so close to the coast that normally aren't normally around this area or further offshore

The remnant MCV form the Great Lakes MCS is forecast to still be intact as it crosses the area tonight.

The MCV should trigger storms over area later tonight into very early Tuesday as it moves through.

I think this our best chance of seeing of convection through tomorrow night. The 12z NAM and GFS have the cold front washing out tomorrow afternoon over us. Better shear and forcing arrives too late as well.

The end of the 12z euro run brings the heat into the east.....guess its somthing to watch as it has been hinting at it, but we have been down this road before.

93.3 here right now...:devilsmiley:

12z gfs was wc - ridge / ec -trough a complete reversal from prior run. IT'll be interesting to see.

I seriously doubt we will see any activity later tonight, that MCS will move well south of the region, unless more storms fire up later on....we shall see.

There is a severe line in NW PA that has a chance of making it here. Figure its 6-8 hours away so that gets it here around 10-11pm tonight. There is about 1000-2000 J/KG of SBCAPE in place and that should be enough to sustain activity once the sun goes down

86.7 here before the sea breeze picked up.

Think you'll hit 90 tomorrow before it comes in?

A SW wind for us isnt that bad because it only has about an 8 mile journey across the water.... basically it comes off of Sandy Hook.... for the Hamptons it's more like a 200+ mile fetch over the Ocean.

Archived