• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Looking ahead to Winter 2011-2012?

Ji

Berk's forecast is fairly NINA climo around here with the colder DEC, warm up then late spring

interestingly, last year was different than this and unusual for a NINA in the MA (not that it meant a lot more snow than a typical NINA!)

on a related topic, NINA seems to be waning a bit; probably temporary, but I'll take any hits to the NINA we can get before the New Year

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northeast and Mid-Atlantic: equal chances for above-, near-, or below-normal temperatures and precipitation. Winter weather for these regions is often driven not by La Niña but by the Arctic Oscillation. If enough cold air and moisture are in place, areas north of the Ohio Valley and into the Northeast could see above-average snow;

http://www.noaanews....teroutlook.html

The last couple of years have certainly shown folks that seasonal forecasting has a long way to go before being all that credible. Granted, we already knew that to a degree, but we've had a couple of seasons that have thrown many for a loop, most mets included, and still we are grasping for explanations as to the "whys". I know solar stuff is the bandwagon thing to blame for last winter's blocking, and there likely is something to it, but no one has yet accounted for how it works. They just run behind it because there is nothing else evident.

I know that's a lot of random gibberish, but been on my mind a lot the last couple of weeks.

The last couple of years have certainly shown folks that seasonal forecasting has a long way to go before being all that credible. Granted, we already knew that to a degree, but we've had a couple of seasons that have thrown many for a loop, most mets included, and still we are grasping for explanations as to the "whys". I know solar stuff is the bandwagon thing to blame for last winter's blocking, and there likely is something to it, but no one has yet accounted for how it works. They just run behind it because there is nothing else evident.

I know that's a lot of random gibberish, but been on my mind a lot the last couple of weeks.

I agree though I think most thought 2009-2010 would be snowy in the mid atlantic and thought there was a good chance for a KU storm or two. Last years blocking was more surprising to me even with a low solar. This year, I can totally understand the CPC equal chances across the mid Altantic area into the northeast. Most long range forecasts are educated guesses. When I make one it's a WAG.

I agree though I think most thought 2009-2010 would be snowy in the mid atlantic and thought there was a good chance for a KU storm or two. Last years blocking was more surprising to me even with a low solar. This year, I can totally understand the CPC equal chances across the mid Altantic area into the northeast. Most long range forecasts are educated guesses. When I make one it's a WAG.

Yeah 09-10 doesn't really fit in as much as last winter. 09-10 made some sense (not saying I would have ever forecasted record blocking though lol, but a blocky winter wasn't a shock). Really more winter 2010-11 and this summer that flew in the face of most forecasts that were out there from the preseason (mine included, admittedly).

we saw how we did last winter with massive blocking and no southern stream.....unless you don't think ENSO will be a factor, I don't know how you go for big snow in our region.....the whole point imo of a seasonal outlook is to broad brush with the most probabilistic solution.......

There is really never any reason to go with big snow in DC.

we saw how we did last winter with massive blocking and no southern stream.....unless you don't think ENSO will be a factor, I don't know how you go for big snow in our region.....the whole point imo of a seasonal outlook is to broad brush with the most probabilistic solution.......

Still flukish because the south got alot of snow as did the NE including Philly. I would take my chances again on alot of blocking and no southern stream. It was an everyone but us and state college winter

Still flukish because the south got alot of snow as did the NE including Philly. I would take my chances again on alot of blocking and no southern stream. It was an everyone but us and state college winter

it only takes 1 storm to get the south to at or above climo......we missed the DEC storm but that was never going to be more than 3-6"......I think the chances of getting a true KU storm that hits us flush are pretty low.... I think it is much more likely that if there is a KU or 2 this winter, that we get a piece of it....I think the last 25 years have shown us that unless we have a KU that hits us pretty flush, we don't go more than 100-125% of climo......I just don't see how we get to a big winter (150%+ of climo) without a southern stream unless we get super lucky.....and why would anyone predict that from months out?......you have a better chance than me to go above normal, but it would have to happen imo in an early or late season event....they usually mix for me....but sometimes you can get a more unconventional/non-nina storm track early or late....

i could see DC getting an event if the alaskan vortex retrogrades west and a de facto split flow develops

we saw that on the models last winter and it never really took effect.....even if we get something fluky that nails us (March 1999), a perfectly timed phase (Jan2000), or something more conventional in an ideal blocking pattern (Dec 31 1970), we still probably only get 80-125% of snow climo. just like we did in those winters....2nd and 3rd years of multi year nina events are not counterfeit...they are legit....Nina is real

we saw that on the models last winter and it never really took effect.....even if we get something fluky that nails us (March 1999), a perfectly timed phase (Jan2000), or something more conventional in an ideal blocking pattern (Dec 31 1970), we still probably only get 80-125% of snow climo. just like we did in those winters....2nd and 3rd years of multi year nina events are not counterfeit...they are legit....Nina is real

the nina polar jet probably kept dec 2010 from cutting west

good luck...it is hard not to go normal or below with the new norms....where is the positive precip anomaly over the Ohio Valley?

Cold/dry periods will compete with cool/wet periods in the Ohio Valley, which I expect to average out to near normal.

And yes, the new anomalies make it a lot easier to get belows.

it's consistent with your point about ninas in dc. progressive is almost always bad for dc

Its sometimes why the Carolinas and SE VA can cash in...they'll grab the NW side of some of those progressive systems before they exit stage right.

DC is definitely more reliant on the STJ than those other areas to get above normal snow...esp since they also average an amount of snow that one storm won't make or break them as zwyts already mentioned. SE VA catches one good storm and they make climo.

I think the best pattern for DC would be a Jan 1996 type pattern where the polar jet splits enough to create a southern stream that is viable for getting snow events that far south. That or a flukish STJ like Feb '96 saw, but that is unlikely given we are in a 2nd year Nina and its likely going to be moderate. Huge +PNA ridges too...root for those in DC...that's how to try and get the polar jet far enough south (ala 1/26 last year) for snow events without worrying about Miller B redevelopment or a southwest flow event.

Its sometimes why the Carolinas and SE VA can cash in...they'll grab the NW side of some of those progressive systems before they exit stage right.

DC is definitely more reliant on the STJ than those other areas to get above normal snow...esp since they also average an amount of snow that one storm won't make or break them as zwyts already mentioned. SE VA catches one good storm and they make climo.

I think the best pattern for DC would be a Jan 1996 type pattern where the polar jet splits enough to create a southern stream that is viable for getting snow events that far south. That or a flukish STJ like Feb '96 saw, but that is unlikely given we are in a 2nd year Nina and its likely going to be moderate. Huge +PNA ridges too...root for those in DC...that's how to try and get the polar jet far enough south (ala 1/26 last year) for snow events without worrying about Miller B redevelopment or a southwest flow event.

Has the STJ been a bit more heavy handed this fall? Not saying it would mean anything for winter, and definitely still weaker than our recent Ninos, but it definitely seems like there has been more punch to it thus far.

Has the STJ been a bit more heavy handed this fall? Not saying it would mean anything for winter, and definitely still weaker than our recent Ninos, but it definitely seems like there has been more punch to it thus far.

It looks like its been dead this month. It really hasn't been a factor since spring of 2010.

compday6618977100292184.gif

Oh, am I mis-attributing the stormier conditions in the south & east this fall versus last fall? The cut-off lows phasing/passing to the SW doesn't register with me I guess.

The storms this autumn haven't been associated with an active STJ. You do not want to read too much into that stuff because the polar jet is much further north and weaker in the autumn and it will look different come winter. Its more common to get cutoff lows on either side of winter since the flow tends to be less progressive with weaker jet. So we've seen some of these troughs dig down and cutoff this autumn. The PJ has actually been stronger than normal coming off the PAC NW this fall.

Detailed video discussion on the "2011-2012 WinterOutlook" at spam.com (under "SeasonalForecasts" at right) with a breakdown of the major factors including -PDO,-NAO, LaNina (weak, east-based), low solar activity and high current NorthernHemisphere snow cover extent. Itincludes specific forecasts for DC to Boston (snowier and colder relative tonormal as one goes up the coast).

Archived