• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer Thread

the HRRR has nailed this event so far...so tomorrow morning we should know how the threat is.

The big thing, specifically in central and western PA , is going to be timing of the front and whether or not the cap currently in place will be easily busted. CAPE's still are and will remain very high overnight. Actually, instability parameters are pretty ridiculous right now (MUCAPE's in excess of 4-5k, etc). Pretty much some of the highest CAPE values you'll see in our region.

A problem for the aformentioned central/west could be that frontal passage may occur a bit too early to allow for good daytime surface heating and thus limit the ability for storms to bust the cap and fire. Obviously the further east one goes, the longer its going to get a chance to heat up. I'd say whatever fires up today will easily have the ability to contain both damaging winds and large hail.

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just up in State College looking at Penn State yesterday...wow it was brutal. This coming from a southerner :P

Quick question (for anyone in this thread really)-how are temps around Labor Day? I'd think that by then there would be fronts moving through pretty regularly, but I've been up to Pittsburgh around that time of year and it is a toss of the dice IMO.

Speaking of cold fronts-enjoy the one you guys are about to get (right after I left, figures). Probably won't get one down here for a few more months :sun:

Was just up in State College looking at Penn State yesterday...wow it was brutal. This coming from a southerner :P

Quick question (for anyone in this thread really)-how are temps around Labor Day? I'd think that by then there would be fronts moving through pretty regularly, but I've been up to Pittsburgh around that time of year and it is a toss of the dice IMO.

Speaking of cold fronts-enjoy the one you guys are about to get (right after I left, figures). Probably won't get one down here for a few more months :sun:

labor day is usually still warm...upper 70's to low 80's but it can get to mid 90's...just depends on the pattern.

Those interested in severe weather potential during the afternoon and evening should be watching this satellite image: http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/satellite/displaySat.php?region=BWI&itype=vis&size=large&endDate=20110601&endTime=-1&duration=0

Watch for initiation of convection across the ridges and pray they don't downslope off the mountains, although that all but always happens.

warnings issued for these areas

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHEASTERN CUMBERLAND COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

SOUTHERN DAUPHIN COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

NORTH CENTRAL LANCASTER COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

SOUTHERN LEBANON COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

EAST CENTRAL PERRY COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

warnings issued for these areas

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHEASTERN CUMBERLAND COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

SOUTHERN DAUPHIN COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

NORTH CENTRAL LANCASTER COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

SOUTHERN LEBANON COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

EAST CENTRAL PERRY COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

FAIL! laugh.gif

Storms apparently fell apart as they reached my end of Lebanon County yesterday...only few drops of rain at home...a few tenths would have been nice. Ended up being the hottest day of the heatwave at 94.6°. Pretty impressive highs for the last days of May and first day of June: 91.4° on 5/30...94.3° on 5/31...94.6° on 6/1.

What a beautiful day out today, certainly in great contrast to last few days of brutal mid summer weather. There was alot left on the table yesterday with regards to severe potential, as the cap was not really effectively busted thus making for the storms that did fire in the east not really sustaining themselves. Things pretty much evolved as I figured they would with the west and central not really seeing much with the somewhat early frontal passage. Thought we'd see a few more good storms in the Sus valley tho. Pretty much if the front were to have lagged back several hours we would've likely been dealing with a much different situation in central PA yesterday.

Also, CTP seems to have gotten caught up with logging onto the website all the recent tornado survey's they've had to do as they are now in the headlines section. May 26th should be a day of interest for all the Sus Valley folks.. 6 tornadoes confirmed that day. Most of those were prob associated with that major line that had consolidated near H-burg.

Heads up 2001kx! I'm sure your probably already aware.. but:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDSEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA121 PM EDT SAT JUN 4 2011THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA HAS ISSUED A* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... CAMERON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA... NORTHERN CLEARFIELD COUNTY IN CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA... EASTERN ELK COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...* UNTIL 200 PM EDT* AT 118 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS. THESE SEVERE STORMS EXTENDED FROM ELK RIVER TO PORTLAND MILLS TO BROCKWAY...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 55 MPH. THESE STORMS ARE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH.

Anyone getting this MCS that is dropping SE? Totally unexpected, has some severe weather also.

I saw the radar about an hour or so ago and it didn't really look all that threatening. I was getting ready to do some house painting and then my friend texts me to look at the radar and I see what we have now. Needless to say i've put the painting on hold axesmiley.png. Not really sure how well this is going to hold together as it continues to move into the State College, Altoona, and Johnstown areas. In terms of parameters I don't see a single one supporting the existence of this severe line. No CAPE, no lift, no shear, nada. It's gonna make a run at us though, and this line is flying. Given the speed and how dry it is (dewpoints in the 40s) could be quite breezy with this.

Archived