Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer Thread

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny story about Met-Ed: a friend of mine has them and said yesterday a crew came to trot neighborhood, looked around, then put caution tape around a pole and left, not to be seen since.

I've always heard terrible things about that company. I remember people were without power for 10 days during an icestorn a fee years ago, when PPL had wveryone up after a day or two.

Funny story about Met-Ed: a friend of mine has them and said yesterday a crew came to trot neighborhood, looked around, then put caution tape around a pole and left, not to be seen since.

I've always heard terrible things about that company. I remember people were without power for 10 days during an icestorn a fee years ago, when PPL had wveryone up after a day or two.

I grew up right next to the substation/offices in York, basically between Met-Ed and the Parkway Projects. There are still a lot of people who don't like them based on their horrible, screw-you-it's-none-of-your-business-what's-going-on approach to crisis PR during the TMI accident. We even looked at that as a case study on how NOT to communicate to the public in one of my PR classes in college.

Oh wow. What did they do (or not do)? Never heard about this.

My friend is still without power - she lives in Hummelstowb fir crying out loud.

This is a pretty good outline: http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Magazines/Bulletin/Bull472/htmls/tmi.html

I am surprised it wasn't mentioned but the engineers would be in the press conferences with a sort of nasty attitude toward the public wanting to know what was going on. It made them seem like they were hiding something or didn't care if people were going to die.

A great oppurtunity to use recently installed GR2analyst. You have to turn your head sideways, but this cell really has a classic hook echo signature.

Yup.

It'll probably not last long enough, but it is heading straight for State College. :arrowhead:

Maybe even a little west. It's a right-mover to be sure.

Once you start using it, it's hard to use anything else...

Thats for sure, I've been wanting to use GR2Analyst for quite some time.. I finally was able to upgrade to a laptop capable of easily running it over the summer. At any rate, this storm certainly has a pretty interesting trajectory to it... Moving nearly due south. The decent storm rotation is obvious on the velocity loop, but the velocity hasn't seemed high enough to really scream tornado on the ground via the radar. Wouldn't be surprised if this storm has/had a weak tornado though.

Yup.

It'll probably not last long enough, but it is heading straight for State College. :arrowhead:

Maybe even a little west. It's a right-mover to be sure.

Really starting to weaken now. This was a classic right-mover - was going southeast up in northern Cameron county and now looks south or south-southwest.

Thats for sure, I've been wanting to use GR2Analyst for quite some time.. I finally was able to upgrade to a laptop capable of easily running it over the summer. At any rate, this storm certainly has a pretty interesting trajectory to it... Moving nearly due south. The decent storm rotation is obvious on the velocity loop, but the velocity hasn't seemed high enough to really scream tornado on the ground via the radar. Wouldn't be surprised if this storm has/had a weak tornado though.

Yeah, you would look at the reflectivity and then be surprised at how low the velocities were under the hook even though there was constant broad rotation. On the one reflectivity scan, there was something on the back end of the hook that almost resembled a small debris cloud, but that could have been a lot of things.

Really starting to weaken now. This was a classic right-mover - was going southeast up in northern Cameron county and now looks south or south-southwest.

Yeah, you would look at the reflectivity and then be surprised at how low the velocities were under the hook even though there was constant broad rotation. On the one reflectivity scan, there was something on the back end of the hook that almost resembled a small debris cloud, but that could have been a lot of things.

Think it will hold together at all by the time it gets down here?

Archived