• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA Summer Thread

As a side note, I wonder if NHC will consider making changes to the Saffir-Simpson scale. ABC7 in NY reported that the storm made landfall at Coney Island as a tropical storm with peak winds of 65mph. So from a historic standpoint it won't even go on record as a hurricane that made landfall in NYC, but it appears to be at least as impactful, if not more so, than previous hurricanes which passed near the city. It certainly appears to have done more wind damage in our area than you might typically excpect from a Cat 1 passing off the Jersey shore. The mets on WABC were saying that central pressure is more important than where the storm falls on the scale, and in this particular case the central pressure was equivalent to a Cat 2 hurricane.

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the daylight, I see my apple tree has been ravaged. :(

Winds far exceeded anything the local mets predicted. 35mph constant wind for 9 hours can mess trees up, as evidence of my apple trees, the trees I see blocking 3rd St completely. We lost power a few times buy never more than 5 minutes, I thinknwe're about thr only people in Dauphin County with power.

PPL has about 190,000 homes without power in PA. Cumberland, Dauphin, and Lancaster counties make up about 100,00. Lancaster County is just insane with 41,000 still without power, not including the 15,000 that were just resolved recently

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

PPL has about 190,000 homes without power in PA. Cumberland, Dauphin, and Lancaster counties make up about 100,00. Lancaster County is just insane with 41,000 still without power, not including the 15,000 that were just resolved recently

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Even crazier: Dauphin has 32k without power and that DOESNT include Harrisburg itself.

Just drove through Camp Hill. It's a mess. Big tree down on the bypass just past 21st St. A lot of businesses without power and traffic lights out. Multiple trees down in the old neighborhoods in the borough. I didn't see many problems in HBG itself. Some branches down. Downtown had your typical light Sunday traffic. Roxy's was packed with diners who said they went there because they had no power at home.

Based on some of the stuff I am seeing online, this must not be true because the forecasters messed this up and no one got anything bad.

It seems to me that people will always complain about the forecast being wrong even when it's right. Irene took almost the exact track that has been discussed since early last week. The intensity was less than forecast, but judging by the damage, it was still pretty bad.

Without power since roughly 9. Winds are horrible and the trees keeping breaking. Was able to mske it to perkains, who have power.

And to think you were considering heading east to catch the storm a couple days ago and Irene ended up just bringing the insanity to you and a good part of the Sus Valley. I figured it'd be windy especially with the storm managing to stay a little bit further west but with what I'm reading from you guys this morning it has really kicked some butt windwise. It's something that has apparently translated up from VA and DC where some of the highest winds came pretty late in the storm even after most of the rain had ended. Whenever it's safe to do so you guys should take some pics to share on the thread.

As a side note, I wonder if NHC will consider making changes to the Saffir-Simpson scale. ABC7 in NY reported that the storm made landfall at Coney Island as a tropical storm with peak winds of 65mph. So from a historic standpoint it won't even go on record as a hurricane that made landfall in NYC, but it appears to be at least as impactful, if not more so, than previous hurricanes which passed near the city. It certainly appears to have done more wind damage in our area than you might typically excpect from a Cat 1 passing off the Jersey shore. The mets on WABC were saying that central pressure is more important than where the storm falls on the scale, and in this particular case the central pressure was equivalent to a Cat 2 hurricane.

They downgraded the storm just prior to landfall this morning when they couldn't find any winds supportive of maintaining minimal hurricane status. The region that had been containing such winds was actually well to the east of the center off the southern New England coastline. It's a tough situation with a storm like this, with the very deep pressure but winds that aren't what they traditionally would be (See Hurricane Ike). One of the reasons was Irene had issues effectively translating winds down to the surface throughout a good part of it's duration north of the islands as it never seemed to really establish a tight inner core. So instead we had a very large strong wind field that had decent winds, but def not the winds there could have been. But with how large of an area the major impacts spanned and the region this occurred in, it can be about as bad or even worse than a more localized compact storm with winds that "match" the pressure....Unless of course the more localized compact storm was right on target hitting a susceptible area.

So I guess what i'm saying is I do think that the way we rate these hurricanes should get looked at.. but any changes would need to be such that the public and media can easily interpret them. And getting the people to understand can sometimes be harder than making the forecast.

What's interesting to me is this was a T'S that hit us. My brother stayed through Ike south of Houston on the gulf - I can't imagine the hell he went through overnight.

He always said it was beyond intense, I can't fathom it for so long of a duration.

The span of Ike's damaging winds from there all the way across the midwest into western PA etc was something else as well. That storm was a beast.

For PA, this is the event I wish my local area had more info about. After what some of you guys went through overnight, could you imagine this? From landfall to Central PA in 12 hours.

post-1507-0-57497400-1314554994.gif

The span of Ike's damaging winds from there all the way across the midwest into western PA etc was something else as well. That storm was a beast.

For PA, this is the event I wish my local area had more info about. After what some of you guys went through overnight, could you imagine this? From landfall to Central PA in 12 hours.

post-1507-0-57497400-1314554994.gif

My dad talked about Hazel until he died. He was a cop in Windsor, PA, a small town se of York. There are no official reports in York County but surrounding areas had 100 mpg gusts, and my father believed it. Told me never experienced anything like it.

Archived