• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA Summer Thread

And to think you were considering heading east to catch the storm a couple days ago and Irene ended up just bringing the insanity to you and a good part of the Sus Valley. I figured it'd be windy especially with the storm managing to stay a little bit further west but with what I'm reading from you guys this morning it has really kicked some butt windwise. It's something that has apparently translated up from VA and DC where some of the highest winds came pretty late in the storm even after most of the rain had ended. Whenever it's safe to do so you guys should take some pics to share on the thread.

They downgraded the storm just prior to landfall this morning when they couldn't find any winds supportive of maintaining minimal hurricane status. The region that had been containing such winds was actually well to the east of the center off the southern New England coastline. It's a tough situation with a storm like this, with the very deep pressure but winds that aren't what they traditionally would be (See Hurricane Ike). One of the reasons was Irene had issues effectively translating winds down to the surface throughout a good part of it's duration north of the islands as it never seemed to really establish a tight inner core. So instead we had a very large strong wind field that had decent winds, but def not the winds there could have been. But with how large of an area the major impacts spanned and the region this occurred in, it can be about as bad or even worse than a more localized compact storm with winds that "match" the pressure....Unless of course the more localized compact storm was right on target hitting a susceptible area.

F

So I guess what i'm saying is I do think that the way we rate these hurricanes should get looked at.. but any changes would need to be such that the public and media can easily interpret them. And getting the people to understand can sometimes be harder than making the forecast.

Texting this from my phone so forgive the errors.

Still without power. Met Ed has to be swamped.Haven't seen a truck come to repair the main line that is

Down. The wires are still freely swinging. This is on a main road.

This is the second worst wind event that I lived through in this area since 1989. Only the early fal microburst event topped the destruction I have seen today.

Going to try to upload a pic off the phone. Would like some wind estimations.

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, i can finally report in. I lost power at home yesterday the 1st time around 3am, then off at at 430am and din't come back until 830pm. I have no way to tell wind speed or gusts, but it was above 46. Much damage in my town with various damage. As most of you know 2 weeks ago i took a hit and the restoration still isn't done. well, now i have a second insurance claim :( . I had soffit and Facia blown off. More roof damage as well as a window blown out on my 3rd floor. I window which has withstood for 60 years and seen many storms..completely blown out. We were definitly getting the wrap around winds being on the west side. it was awesome to watch the cloud movement. i would say between 5-6 am was really bad. The high winds paused and probably had 20-30 steady until around 8 when it picked back up with the higher gusts.

My work also had 2 large trees fall on their building. Crew is here now with a crane removing them. as well as a restoration company drying everything up from the rain

well, i can finally report in. I lost power at home yesterday the 1st time around 3am, then off at at 430am and din't come back until 830pm. I have no way to tell wind speed or gusts, but it was above 46. Much damage in my town with various damage. As most of you know 2 weeks ago i took a hit and the restoration still isn't done. well, now i have a second insurance claim :( . I had soffit and Facia blown off. More roof damage as well as a window blown out on my 3rd floor. I window which has withstood for 60 years and seen many storms..completely blown out. We were definitly getting the wrap around winds being on the west side. it was awesome to watch the cloud movement. i would say between 5-6 am was really bad. The high winds paused and probably had 20-30 steady until around 8 when it picked back up with the higher gusts.

My work also had 2 large trees fall on their building. Crew is here now with a crane removing them. as well as a restoration company drying everything up from the rain

Sorry man...you've had a rough couple of weeks. Here's hoping for a long stretch of nice weather so you can get on the road to recovery.

I feel very fortunate here in Maytown. Never lost power, no damage...honestly, this probably ranked around 4th or 5th in intensity for storms this year in my parts. I had been preparing for conditions like Isabel, but it was nothing like that one. My entire family slept through the whole thing for the entire night. Very uneventful here, which i am most grateful for.

I feel very fortunate here in Maytown. Never lost power, no damage...honestly, this probably ranked around 4th or 5th in intensity for storms this year in my parts. I had been preparing for conditions like Isabel, but it was nothing like that one. My entire family slept through the whole thing for the entire night. Very uneventful here, which i am most grateful for.

5:10-5:15 a.m. - that's when it was downright harrowing here. Our fellow Camp Hiller was posting and can confirm (though I'm certain he's still without power).

I wasn't looking at radar on my phone, but whatever band that was that hit the immediate around around that time was one of the more nasty storm bands you'll ever see that doesn't contain thunder and lightning. Wind was kicked up to another level completely for about 40 minutes around then.

Sorry about the house; at least you guys are all OK. And, hey, at least you weren't camping in a tent ...

Sorry man...you've had a rough couple of weeks. Here's hoping for a long stretch of nice weather so you can get on the road to recovery.

I'm glad you faired out well with no damage. At this point i'm not sure which was more intense, The Tornado in may ofr Irene. Both from a weather stand point were unique and offered up some intersting things (from a weather junkie view) Though i had damage, it was an awesome experience hanging in our big garage watching it all unfold, with my nephews, sister and brother in-law etc. It will be a day to remember, especially for my Nephews kids. And we succesfully drank all the beer in the fridge before it turned warm :drunk::beer:

5:10-5:15 a.m. - that's when it was downright harrowing here. Our fellow Camp Hiller was posting and can confirm (though I'm certain he's still without power).

I wasn't looking at radar on my phone, but whatever band that was that hit the immediate around around that time was one of the more nasty storm bands you'll ever see that doesn't contain thunder and lightning. Wind was kicked up to another level completely for about 40 minutes around then.

Sorry about the house; at least you guys are all OK. And, hey, at least you weren't camping in a tent ...

yeah, what the heck were they thinking?

i think you're right about camp Hil, they even called school off over there...

Hope you can get all the damage fixed in a timely manner.

And canderson/sauss, the camping death is just bizarre.

Thanks, i think it'll take me 2 days.

they either had a death wish, or they are just plain dumb. i mean, come on, this thing was so well advertised, everyone and their brother knew.

Still no power. Met ed showed up, wrapped caution tap around the area n left lol.

No wind estimations from my pic?

i looked into SPC's EF scale site which has a bunch of thresholds for degrees of damage on certain things. When it comes to snapped wooden poles in the electical transmission lines section (Source), the lower bound wind value to do that is 98mph, with an expected wind value of 118 mph. Considering the trees and house nearby don't look all that screwed up, I can't imagine a wind gust anywhere near that high. I did notice the inside of that wooden pole looked like it may have seen better days, and perhaps might've been weakened enough for a lower wind speed to do it. Regardless, it certainly isn't easy to straight up snap a wooden telephone pole with nothing really on it for the wind to press if it was actually the wind itself that did it. I'm going to go conservative and say 60-70mph.

Beautiful day today and another great night to have the windows open. Dropped to 48.4° this morning for our 3rd sub-50 reading of the month. Looks like we'll finish August with 8.62" of rain...which is seemingly one of the lower totals in the eastern half of PA for the month...arrowheadsmiley.png

I was surprised at just how much tree damage there was around Lebanon County. Many are still without power and several roads near my house just reopened this afternoon or evening. Guess it has been awhile since we've had widespread 50-60mph gusts with fully leafed out trees.

I still have co-workers without power around the Harrisburg area. They are being told Thursday Sept. 1st.

Excellent sleeping weather, i had 60 this am at 530.

Still over 6300 customers without power in Lebanon County, mostly in the northern and southern thirds where there are more wooded areas.

Still over 6300 customers without power in Lebanon County, mostly in the northern and southern thirds where there are more wooded areas.

Ran for a generator from my bud yesterday.

any schools affected?

Northern Leb had been turned into a Red Cross shelter and had been closed yesterday. They decided to just close off the gym and hold classes today. Those that are still cut off obviously won't be attending.

Archived