Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer Thread

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I would post a link to an album of some of the storm pictures I took close to and in downtown Carlisle.

http://jns182.imgur.com/carlisle_storm_pictures__52611

Observations:

As the storm was rolling in there was a definite greenish tint to the sky, that I don't feel the pictures captured very well. We we clipped a couple of times with storms developing out ahead of the main cell. It seemed as if they were developing along some sort of boundary line running wsw to ene. The two biggest cells out to our west seemed to merge on us, or very close out near Newville. Not sure if that would enhance the rotation within the cell structure itself. The updraft winds before the cell arrived were strong. The clouds coming in were very low, and seemed to be much lower then they probably were. It appeared like they were less than 100 ft from the ground and moving fast. The thunder and lighting were spectacular, yet I swear I heard those straight lines winds coming a few seconds before they arrived. When they hit I mostly heard the trees hitting the roof of the house I was in. The flash flooding was another eye opening experience. Apparently debris blocked the drainage and I don't think I ever saw water rise that fast on the street. Anyways, if anyone has any questions on the pictures or my observations, I would be happy to answer.

Jon

I thought I would post a link to an album of some of the storm pictures I took close to and in downtown Carlisle.

http://jns182.imgur....pictures__52611

Observations:

As the storm was rolling in there was a definite greenish tint to the sky, that I don't feel the pictures captured very well. We we clipped a couple of times with storms developing out ahead of the main cell. It seemed as if they were developing along some sort of boundary line running wsw to ene. The two biggest cells out to our west seemed to merge on us, or very close out near Newville. Not sure if that would enhance the rotation within the cell structure itself. The updraft winds before the cell arrived were strong. The clouds coming in were very low, and seemed to be much lower then they probably were. It appeared like they were less than 100 ft from the ground and moving fast. The thunder and lighting were spectacular, yet I swear I heard those straight lines winds coming a few seconds before they arrived. When they hit I mostly heard the trees hitting the roof of the house I was in. The flash flooding was another eye opening experience. Apparently debris blocked the drainage and I don't think I ever saw water rise that fast on the street. Anyways, if anyone has any questions on the pictures or my observations, I would be happy to answer.

Jon

wow very impressive pics...thanks for sharing. looks like winds were like 70 mph with the amount of damage. were you without power until now?

Nice summery day today. Went for a 20+ mile bike ride from 11-1PM, stopped in Mt. Gretna at the Jigger Shop for ice cream, and sat outside and read for awhile. Just over 91° for a high today...dewpoint was 67-70°. Tomorrow looks a bit warmer, and then probably 90° again Wednesday before the front and hopefully a storm comes through.

wow very impressive pics...thanks for sharing. looks like winds were like 70 mph with the amount of damage. were you without power until now?

My side of the street block never lost power. The other side of street and most blocks around me where in the dark till Friday afternoon or Saturday. What helped our side was the wind direction hitting the back of our houses along with a densely small wooded area right behind us. Power lines in the front were sheltered along with the young short trees next to them. But I have no idea about the robustness and complexities of power grids. That roar of the incoming wind as it toppled tree after tree will stay with me for awhile. Just happy I was able to relax today after 3 long days of chainsaws and helping neighbors. The end of may has not been kind to Carlisle the last two years. Last year it was the golfball size hail interacting with solid winds that did the damage. This year much worse. Is it just me or do these storms seem to fire near the edge of the mountains then explode as the make it to the valley areas? Just curious what kind of setup increased the probability of this occurring.

Thanks,

Jon

Very nice pic's everyone. After my leat post on friday the 27th, we lost internet and cable at home, as well as power on Saturday night. Some areas in our Township in Cumberland County Still do not have power. my brother hasn't had power since friday the 27th. I heard, but haven't confirmed that it was in fact a Tornado that came through on Thursday. That it orignially touched down near mechanicsburg then zig zagged through other areas (including mine) Can anyone confirm this?

Yep, this weekend was hot. I spent 3 days at softball fields, i roasted!

My side of the street block never lost power. The other side of street and most blocks around me where in the dark till Friday afternoon or Saturday. What helped our side was the wind direction hitting the back of our houses along with a densely small wooded area right behind us. Power lines in the front were sheltered along with the young short trees next to them. But I have no idea about the robustness and complexities of power grids. That roar of the incoming wind as it toppled tree after tree will stay with me for awhile. Just happy I was able to relax today after 3 long days of chainsaws and helping neighbors. The end of may has not been kind to Carlisle the last two years. Last year it was the golfball size hail interacting with solid winds that did the damage. This year much worse. Is it just me or do these storms seem to fire near the edge of the mountains then explode as the make it to the valley areas? Just curious what kind of setup increased the probability of this occurring.

Thanks,

Jon

yeah the timing of the storms have been just about perfect this year for central pa...we've had days of long sunshine then convection firing west of the mountains, hitting the high instability and exploding through the valley. unfortunately, tomorrow looks like another severe day; however areas hit hard over the last week should be where convection fires tomorrow and areas east look to bear the brunt of all the instability built up. Lancaster and Lebanon are two areas that have a great chance to be hammered tomorrow because of how well the timing sets up. storms should initiate near your area but you guys should be spared the worst.

Very nice pic's everyone. After my leat post on friday the 27th, we lost internet and cable at home, as well as power on Saturday night. Some areas in our Township in Cumberland County Still do not have power. my brother hasn't had power since friday the 27th. I heard, but haven't confirmed that it was in fact a Tornado that came through on Thursday. That it orignially touched down near mechanicsburg then zig zagged through other areas (including mine) Can anyone confirm this?

Yep, this weekend was hot. I spent 3 days at softball fields, i roasted!

there was a couplet in the storm that went right through the area that you describe but I haven't checked if it was confirmed but my guess is a yes because of the defined couplet on radar.

I haven't read any real prognosis of what summer is supposed to bring? Is it still supposedly set to be cooler than last year?

i think it will be cooler...but last summer was one of the hottest on record so another one back to back would be remarkable. with la nina weakening, i think it will still be warmer than average but cooler than last year.

Should make lawn mowing fun later.

I mowed my grass this morning. In fact it was still a little wet.

91.4 °F Feels Like 101.4 °F currently

We sure have had a mixed bag of weather in May. With to many tornado's.

I have been checking the board, just been to busy to post latley. Last weekend kayaked 60 miles in 3 days.

I mowed my grass this morning. In fact it was still a little wet.

91.4 °F Feels Like 101.4 °F currently

We sure have had a mixed bag of weather in May. With to many tornado's.

I have been checking the board, just been to busy to post latley. Last weekend kayaked 60 miles in 3 days.

very awesome! probably really good conditions this year.

yeah the timing of the storms have been just about perfect this year for central pa...we've had days of long sunshine then convection firing west of the mountains, hitting the high instability and exploding through the valley. unfortunately, tomorrow looks like another severe day; however areas hit hard over the last week should be where convection fires tomorrow and areas east look to bear the brunt of all the instability built up. Lancaster and Lebanon are two areas that have a great chance to be hammered tomorrow because of how well the timing sets up. storms should initiate near your area but you guys should be spared the worst.

What kind of timing are we looking at here? Mid-afternoon?

Hot here today, 94.3° was the high. Now its stagnant and very muggy. 82/74 here at the house currently. Fort Indiantown Gap is reporting a dewpoint of 81°...laugh.gif I think that's a bit overdone...but 75-76° would not be out of the question...its pretty nasty out there...even the breeze from riding my bike for a bit was not refreshing in the least.

Archived