Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
June 2011 general discussion/obs thread

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys really think we'll see big heat this summer? I believe this is the wettest year on record for the lower 48. It would be unprecedented. It's even wetter than either '03 and '04, and many areas failed to hit 90 even once in those summers.

Here is my July forecast outlook.

:popcorn:

Latest run of the GFS showing H85 temps up 28-29C in southern MN next Thursday and 27C at International Falls. If that verifies, who knows how hot it will be. Would probably mix well too with a fairly potent low pressure off to the northwest.

I'm surprised this is getting more play time here. Looks to be potentially record setting heat coming up. And this isn't just an isolated model run showing this... lots of support for a heat wave.

Perfect natural AC day. Rocking the MSU Sparty hooded sweatshirt. Maybe a while before I wear this essential Michigan wardrobe. Football season and fall still a couple months out. For now I'll dream of the smell of fallen leaves and the wood burning stove. Death Ridge and heat reminds us of what season is in charge. Here's to Summer. Bring it on!

Storms were something else on Tuesday, we lost electricity, and my neighborhood sustained some heavy tree damage, with light damage to some houses.

We finally got power back last night, after 48 hours without it.

The tree in the photo just missed the house that it was in front of. Not sure how fast the straight line winds were that came through, (in excess of 70mph?) But, this was one of about 2 dozen trees that were either completely knocked over, or large portions of them knocked over. We were fortunate as the wind did not affect the old maple tree in our back yard... We got some wind, but a huge part of the damage is from about 100 fee north of my house, extending 4 blocks north from there, and beyond, actually.

There were two confirmed EF-1 tornadoes as well. One in Mount Prospect, the other in Downer's Grove.

post-2790-0-31046000-1308928924.jpg

Unless there's a 2 degree intra hour bump, today will be the first sub 70º high at LAF since June 3, 2009. Using the last 10 days of June, the first sub 70º high since June 23, 2007. Granted that's not long ago for either, but it evens out having to put up with the 97º on the 4th of this June. :guitar:

EDIT: 68º it is.

Unless there's a 2 degree intra hour bump, today will be the first sub 70º high at LAF since June 3, 2009. Using the last 10 days of June, the first sub 70º high since June 23, 2007. Granted that's not long ago for either, but it evens out having to put up with the 97º on the 4th of this June. :guitar:

EDIT: 68º it is.

It's actually a little too cool in my opinion.

Not sure about the heat...

By next weekend,and the July 4th Holiday, temps are progged for the 90's... but after that, is it a long term (10+ days) heat wave, or is it 2-3 hot days, then 2-3 cooler days and back to the heat? Kind of confusing at this point.

All I know is, I do not need a repeat of last July... my electric bill was astronomical..

Having a tough time getting real heat this far north again this year. The MCS train has set up just south of this area again, just like the last several years. This is keeping the real heat and the best shot for severe just to our south. We haven't had a good old fashioned heat wave here since I think 2006. That's the last time we broke the century mark. I can live without the heat, but the overall lack of severe is getting annoying. Missouri and the southern half of Illinois are continually barraged, while we to the north get the debris clouds and anvil rains lol. :axe:

Having a tough time getting real heat this far north again this year. The MCS train has set up just south of this area again, just like the last several years. This is keeping the real heat and the best shot for severe just to our south. We haven't had a good old fashioned heat wave here since I think 2006. That's the last time we broke the century mark. I can live without the heat, but the overall lack of severe is getting annoying. Missouri and the southern half of Illinois are continually barraged, while we to the north get the debris clouds and anvil rains lol. :axe:

I've gotten some nice storms over heretongue.gif

Yeah, cycone, we are stuck in the 60s yet again today because yet another big MCS is traversing southern Iowa and northern Missouri. At the very least we get clouds all day. It looks like the rain may hold together and drop a bit here and no doubt that will knock us down to the low 60s again. We've had only two partly sunny days in the last 2+ weeks largely because of the MCS train to the south. My heat and sun-loving plants are not liking all the clouds and cool temps.

I also don't think there has been a widespread severe weather event in eastern Iowa this year.

Archived