Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
June 2011 general discussion/obs thread

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOT is already going with a high of 94F for Friday.

BY FRIDAY...HOWEVER...850MB TEMPS ARE

FORECAST TO SURGE INTO THE +25C OR HIGHER RANGE ACROSS MUCH OF THE

WESTERN LAKES/MIDWEST. 12Z ECMWF SHOWING +28C AT 850MB ACROSS MUCH

NORTHWEST IL AND MUCH OF WI BY 00Z SATURDAY. MEDIUM RANGE MODELS

HAVE BEEN SHOWING THIS WARM UP FOR SEVERAL RUNS NOW AND HAVE

BUMPED TEMPS INTO THE MID 90S MOST AREAS FOR FRIDAY. WITH

DEWPOINTS POSSIBLY INTO THE LOW/MID 70S...PEAK HEAT INDICES

POSSIBLY IN THE 105 RANGE

Had off an on light rain and sprinkles much of the afternoon from the dying anvil rains of the storms passing well south. Temps dropped back into the 60s during the afternoon. Pathetic.

We have been stuck in the 60s eight days this June, far above the norm. June '09 had four days in the 60s and other years only had 0 to 2 days. Pathetic is right.

With the Texas panhandle record dry heat, I got to wondering, how rare are 100+ degree temps in the US with dewpoints above 75?

Also what is the hottest temp recorded in the US with a dewpoint higher than 75?

With the Texas panhandle record dry heat, I got to wondering, how rare are 100+ degree temps in the US with dewpoints above 75?

Also what is the hottest temp recorded in the US with a dewpoint higher than 75?

Good questions. In the cornbelt of IA and IL, you can get incredibly high dewpoints due to evapotranspiration. Combined with moist ground and a capped heat dome, you can get some ridiculous heat indices. I've seen 102/80 on occasion in IA before. It doesn't occur very often...but it's not as rare as you'd think.

Also, Laredo TX can get some intense heat and dewpoints in the summer, almost on a daily basis. It may not quite be 100/75...but most days in JJA they see 100/70 or close to it.

In mid-July 1995, Midway Airport (Chicago) saw 106/80 (I think)...a Heat Index in the 120s.

Good questions. In the cornbelt of IA and IL, you can get incredibly high dewpoints due to evapotranspiration. Combined with moist ground and a capped heat dome, you can get some ridiculous heat indices. I've seen 102/80 on occasion in IA before. It doesn't occur very often...but it's not as rare as you'd think.

Also, Laredo TX can get some intense heat and dewpoints in the summer, almost on a daily basis. It may not quite be 100/75...but most days in JJA they see 100/70 or close to it.

In mid-July 1995, Midway Airport (Chicago) saw 106/80 (I think)...a Heat Index in the 120s.

July 13, 1995 at Midway

12PM: 98/81 (120 HX)

1PM: 100/80 (121)

2PM: 103/79 (124)

3PM: 104/78 (123)

4PM: 105/76 (121)

5PM: 106/76 (123)

6PM: 105/74 (118)

7PM: 103/78 (122)

8PM: 101/78 (119)

9PM: 97/79 (115)

July 13, 1995 at Midway

12PM: 98/81 (120 HX)

1PM: 100/80 (121)

2PM: 103/79 (124)

3PM: 104/78 (123)

4PM: 105/76 (121)

5PM: 106/76 (123)

6PM: 105/74 (118)

7PM: 103/78 (122)

8PM: 101/78 (119)

9PM: 97/79 (115)

Oh how i hated that. That managed to make it's way all the way to the coast where i was living. I remember a couple of days a slew of businesses ( at the beach mind you ) closing shop because so many ended up in the hospital because of the heat. Mine unfortunately was not one of them and being a restaurant it roasted like hell in the kitchen ( I was the Chef ) which just had one small window and exhaust fans and was it was a small kitchen. Even the AC in the dinning area did zero to help but thankfully it was dead as many just stayed in or on the beach and in the ocean. That sucked.

Oh how i hated that. That managed to make it's way all the way to the coast where i was living. I remember a couple of days a slew of businesses ( at the beach mind you ) closing shop because so many ended up in the hospital because of the heat. Mine unfortunately was not one of them and being a restaurant it roasted like hell in the kitchen ( I was the Chef ) which just had one small window and exhaust fans and was it was a small kitchen. Even the AC in the dinning area did zero to help but thankfully it was dead as many just stayed in or on the beach and in the ocean. That sucked.

I was working in a detail shop that summer. In a garage, no AC or fans...nothing. I remember having to get inside cars to shampoo the carpet, etc during that stretch and it was horrendous. Hell on earth truly.

I was working in a detail shop that summer. In a garage, no AC or fans...nothing. I remember having to get inside cars to shampoo the carpet, etc during that stretch and it was horrendous. Hell on earth truly.

I missed the hottest day as I was in Nevada, but I remember hearing about it. Did catch the tail end of that heat wave. I remember the pilot announcing it was 99 as we approached Midway in the early evening.

I kept a bucket of ice water and kept drenching myself to stay cool. lol Heck just in the few short seconds it took me to get from the house to the car i was soaked in sweat. It was pouring on me when i got into that kitchen. ugh

I missed the hottest day as I was in Nevada, but I remember hearing about it. Did catch the tail end of that heat wave. I remember the pilot announcing it was 99 as we approached Midway in the early evening.

Lucky you.

I kept a bucket of ice water and kept drenching myself to stay cool. lol Heck just in the few short seconds it took me to get from the house to the car i was soaked in sweat. It was pouring on me when i got into that kitchen. ugh

I have no idea how much h2o and gatorade I went through that day, and week for that matter, but I'm sure it was a crap load.

Up in Vilas county this past weekend for a graduation party.. Lake temps in the mid 60's was no fun getting use to but at least there was sun up there for once I was told and temps rose fast from the mid-40's to the mid to upper 70's by 11am to make it a gorgeous weekend on the lake for all. So looking forward to spending next week up there in gods country.. Sure is hard coming home to the city but my oh my if we weren't so tired from the weekend and drive home it is an absolutely gorgeous 12am in the 70's to sit out and enjoy a few adult beverages under the stars.

With no chance of rain before the end of the month, this will be the driest June in 65 years and third driest on record at Toledo with just 0.51" of rain.

The driest Junes on record are:

1876 0.12

1946 0.27

2011 0.51

1902 0.51

1888 0.97

Archived