• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 25th Severe weather thread

ehh, could hold. shear is solid out there. but sooner or later,t hey'll run into weaker instability. SO while they might reach you, they shouldn't be as severe. or widespread severe*

Thanks, and that is really fine with me.

I am NOT a severe fan, and live in the middle of the woods. Every time there is a strong storm I get the feeling something is going to fall on me.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm under the gun now.... I'm actually becoming more concerned about flooding than wind at this point.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LOUISVILLE HAS ISSUED A * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... ANDERSON COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL KENTUCKY... FRANKLIN COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL KENTUCKY... THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF FRANKFORT... NORTHERN MERCER COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL KENTUCKY... WOODFORD COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL KENTUCKY... SOUTHEASTERN HENRY COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY... NORTHEASTERN NELSON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY... EASTERN SHELBY COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY... EASTERN SPENCER COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY... NORTHEASTERN WASHINGTON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY...

today.gif

Some people may consider that a bust for today. But I'm thankful. Sorry that some places got hit hard (Bedford, IN), but super happy that no more Tuscaloosa's or Joplin's have been reported!

Also I wouldn't consider this a bust if for no reason other than the California tornado report! LOL

Some people may consider that a bust for today. But I'm thankful. Sorry that some places got hit hard (Bedford, IN), but super happy that no more Tuscaloosa's or Joplin's have been reported!

Also I wouldn't consider this a bust if for no reason other than the California tornado report! LOL

Agreed, some people might consider that a bust today as well, although some places got hit hard. I think we can all say that the way this year has gone, we can use some major busts where nobody gets hit hard.

Still not hearing much from the Bloomington area other than "deaths suspected."

Do we know if there are deaths, or was the reference to multiple casualties referring to injuries? They could be using "casualty" in the military sense, which could be multiple injuries.

I'm hoping they just meant injuries....

Do we know if there are deaths, or was the reference to multiple casualties referring to injuries? They could be using "casualty" in the military sense, which could be multiple injuries.

I'm hoping they just meant injuries....

I'm not sure. Crews are apparently having a tough time getting in there.

ALC083-260500-

/O.CON.KHUN.TO.W.0121.000000T0000Z-110526T0500Z/

LIMESTONE AL-

1148 PM CDT WED MAY 25 2011

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT CDT FOR CENTRAL

LIMESTONE COUNTY...

AT 1144 PM CDT...THE PUBLIC REPORTED A TORNADO. THIS TORNADO WAS

LOCATED NEAR COXEY...OR ABOUT 9 MILES WEST OF ATHENS...MOVING EAST AT

55 MPH.

OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

CARTWRIGHT...FRENCH MILL AND CAPSHAW.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX

1155 PM CDT WED MAY 25 2011

TXC291-339-260515-

/O.CON.KHGX.TO.W.0015.000000T0000Z-110526T0515Z/

MONTGOMERY TX-LIBERTY TX-

1155 PM CDT WED MAY 25 2011

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1215 AM CDT FOR LIBERTY

AND MONTGOMERY COUNTIES...

AT 1149 PM CDT...THE PUBLIC REPORTED A TORNADO. THIS TORNADO WAS

LOCATED 7 MILES NORTH OF PLUM GROVE...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

ON ITS CURRENT TRACK THIS TORNADO SHOULD PASS JUST EAST OF PLUM

GROVE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

HAIL UP TO GOLFBALL SIZE IN DIAMETER HAS BEEN REPORTED IN WITH THIS

STORM.

Wow, that's a sweet pic.

The aerial shots are fairly impressive...houses which look to be heavily damaged or destroyed and a car laying on its side near a tree. Thankfully appears there were only a dozen injuries and no fatalities there.

It's safe to say we all dodged a bullet by storms firing too early. Had a cap been in place we woulda seen large tornadoes from Toledo to the Mississippi and down to the GOM easily. I mean honestly every cell up here was rotating, just no CAPE wouldn't let the numerous funnel clouds hit the ground. If it stays clear all day and then explodes at 4 we would of had easily 10 tornadoes in NW Ohio and probably all large ones. I'd say we all lucked out that this system didn't live up to the full potential

It's safe to say we all dodged a bullet by storms firing too early. Had a cap been in place we woulda seen large tornadoes from Toledo to the Mississippi and down to the GOM easily. I mean honestly every cell up here was rotating, just no CAPE wouldn't let the numerous funnel clouds hit the ground. If it stays clear all day and then explodes at 4 we would of had easily 10 tornadoes in NW Ohio and probably all large ones. I'd say we all lucked out that this system didn't live up to the full potential

I'd argue that the veered surface flow and relatively straight hodographs precluded any one from becoming dominantly supercellular in the presence of strong forcing (they were supercellular, but not dominantly so as you would see in major tornado outbreaks), and it didnt take long for storm interactions/mergers to make QLCS the dominant storm mode. Additionally, RUC analysis earlier in the morning indicated a strong back-veer-back profile, and the boundary leftover from morning storms diverted and decelerated the LLJ.

Despite more veered surface winds, the forcing was a bit weaker further south, so we were able to see more discrete supercells, but south of the Bootheel, LCLs were too high for strong/violent tornadoes.

We got a big severe weather outbreak, but thankfully for many we lucked out on the tornado part, aside from a few communities. But Id argue that things just didn't line up right today.

I'd argue that the veered surface flow and relatively straight hodographs precluded any one from becoming dominantly supercellular in the presence of strong forcing (they were supercellular, but not dominantly so as you would see in major tornado outbreaks), and it didnt take long for storm interactions/mergers to make QLCS the dominant storm mode. Additionally, RUC analysis earlier in the morning indicated a strong back-veer-back profile, and the boundary leftover from morning storms diverted and decelerated the LLJ.

Despite more veered surface winds, the forcing was a bit weaker further south, so we were able to see more discrete supercells, but south of the Bootheel, LCLs were too high for strong/violent tornadoes.

We got a big severe weather outbreak, but thankfully for many we lucked out on the tornado part, aside from a few communities. But Id argue that things just didn't line up right today.

There isn't much more to say on this, as it was a good post. Shear was a bit marginal, but we had plenty of instability. We got lucky in Memphis that the LCLs were too high, though I think there was sufficient low-level shear at least in Memphis prior to the storms arriving. One thing I noticed in the late afternoon before the storms arrived was that the dew point dropped a little bit (from 68, 69 deg F to 67 deg F) as we headed into the evening and the temperature jumped up into the upper 80s, producing the high LCLs. I remember seeing on the mesoanalysis a huge area of drier air not far south of Memphis. At the time, I wasn't sure what it pointed to, but in retrospect it looked like moisture transport was somewhat compromised in the late afternoon.

Had the dew point instead increased into the lower 70s deg F, the temperature likely would not have jumped as high south of the bootheel, staying in the mid-80s deg F at most, and we could have been looking at a whole different event.

We dodged a big bullet yesterday, because those were some otherwise powerful supercells.

I think something happened east of here. Hearing about possible injuries and numerous high voltage towers blown down.

Like I said to you last night, based off radar and the uptick in winds at my place, I was guessing something may have happened to our east as that last line passed through. Granted it was a little further SE than I originally thought. Also watching the Indy morning news channels, sounds like some injuries from Bloomington but no deaths as was reported as a possibility on WISH last night.

1028 PM TSTM WND DMG FRANKFORT 40.28N 86.51W

05/25/2011 CLINTON IN LAW ENFORCEMENT

TWENTY HIGH VOLTAGE TOWERS IN A ROW WERE TWISTED OR

KNOCKED TO THE GROUND 1900 WEST BARNER STREET...JUST

NORTH OF STATE ROUTE 28 AND JUST OUTSIDE OF THE BUSINESS

PARK. TIME APPROXIMATE.

1149 PM NON-TSTM WND DMG E COLFAX 40.19N 86.67W

05/25/2011 CLINTON IN FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

LINE OF TREES AND POLES DOWN FROM COLFAX EAST TO

FRANKFORT AREA.

Some of our pics from the Columbus, IN/Greensburg, IN storm

Those are some great pics!

The first tornado-warned cell we had come through yesterday showed the strongest rotation I've seen in a storm in NW Ohio since the 11/10/02 EF4 that hit Van Wert. Most impressive.

Problem with the tornado in those pictures...

Real

1223hl01.jpg

Not so real...

348062680-25183715.jpg

Apparently either Australia and California have the same exact scenery or its a fake.

Actually, parts of CA are indistinguishable from parts of Australia all of the way down to types of trees. However, you are probably right though the damage shot suggests a stronger than average CA tornado-this pix may not be of it.

'Csnavywx' and myself were down in S. Illinois chasing this event.

We initially were playing the OFB around STL, left over from morning activity. Nothing that developed around it was that great looking. We did make a play on one of the first cell that developed along it, but it quickly fell apart. We then made a play on a tor warned cell or two around STL, but they also quickly fell apart. We then made one final attempt on a tor warned cell which was riding up towards the southeast side of STL(the one which produced softball size hail in the city). We saw a nice lowering and a needle funnel, but the cell was quickly overtaken by the developing QCLS. Our final play on the day was a developing cell in SE. Illinois. We raced down I-64 and intercepted it near Carmi, IL. It feaured a nice lowering, and we followed it to around Mount Carmel, essentially driving under the meso the whole time. We sat in Mount Carmel as the main line moved through, which featured winds around 60mph which broke small tree branches and knocked out the power in the portion of Mount Carmel we were in.

Archived