• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
May 25th Severe weather thread

The Indiana offices must be the worst when it comes to severe weather. Why put out a tornado warning for an entire line of thunderstorms? IWX pulled this same crap June 5 or 6 of last year, right after the F4 went by south of Toledo. It looked like a wall of tornadoes was coming again, but it really was nothing but a squall line. When the storms hit CLE's CWA, all the warnings magically shifted to Severe Thunderstorm Warnings. LOL.

Even if there is an isolated tornado, this is not a situation that will produce strong tornadoes. Any tornado damage won't be much worse than the widespread straightline wind damage (or any embedded microbursts). This is just going to make people less likely to take cover when the tornado sirens sound, because it's going to be percieved as a false alarm for 99.9% of the warning area.

Last year when they did this, they ended up verifying several tornadoes, and they did this again earlier this year, and verified scores of tornadoes. I don't see an issue with this if there is a situation that warrants it, such as tonight.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year when they did this, they ended up verifying several tornadoes, and they did this again earlier this year, and verified scores of tornadoes. I don't see an issue with this if there is a situation that warrants it, such as tonight.

Most of the tornadoes last year were supercells ahead of that squall line that came through late in the evening. It may have produced a few tornadoes, but they were generally weaker, and didn't warrant 4 or 5 counties at a time being broadbrushed under a warning. A strongly worded SVR warning mentioning damaging straight line winds and that doppler radar indicated weak rotation and that, while not immediately likely, a tornado may still form would have been sufficient. Any areas of stronger rotation could have been pinpointed with a TOR warning.

This seems to be the approach IND is taking for counties east of Indianapolis / Marion County.

The blanket warnings worked well on 4/19...if you had told me there would be 26 tornadoes in Indiana out of this linear mess, I probably would've bet you $100 that you'd be wrong.

post-14-0-80543400-1306379754.gif

I can see how it causes people to let their guard down, when the vast majority of the area will just see strait line winds that may or may not be severe. I was watching the WISH feed live from Indy when the line went through, were trying to play up 30MPH wind gusts in downtown because the whole line was tornado warned.

However, I do have a feeling IND will verify a number of tornadoes as there have been occasional hooks/brief couplettes showing up within the line (especially earlier) that as many others have mentioned, would be very hard to warn for individually.

The blanket warnings worked well on 4/19...if you had told me there would be 26 tornadoes in Indiana out of this linear mess, I probably would've bet you $100 that you'd be wrong.

I don't mean to turn this into a debate, but I'm curious as to what the velocity scans looked like on 4/19. Frankly, I'm not seeing a whole lot of evidence of rotation with this line on radar... just looks like a well-defined windshift with the squall line.

Yeah I forgot the date, but this is the one from this year.

PRELIMINARY Damage Survey Plans ... Thu - Team 1 Ripley & Carter co MO; Team 2 - Wayne Co toward Perry Co MO; Team 3;: Massac Co & Jefferson Co IL; Friday

PRELIMINARY Damage Survey Plans ...Friday - Team 1: Vanderburgh-Gibson co IN. Team 2 OWB KY-Rockport IN & Areas South

We saw that Perry County, MO storm rolling through. Saw the funnel cloud from that one. Can't find any news on possible damage.

:lmao:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOUISVILLE KY

1019 PM CDT WED MAY 25 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LOUISVILLE HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

BRECKINRIDGE COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY...

HARDIN COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY...

WESTERN LARUE COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY...

MEADE COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY...

WESTERN NELSON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY...

SOUTHEASTERN HANCOCK COUNTY IN NORTHWEST KENTUCKY...

OHIO COUNTY IN NORTHWEST KENTUCKY...

NORTHERN BUTLER COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY...

GRAYSON COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY...

NORTHERN HART COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY...

* UNTIL 1045 PM CDT/1145 PM EDT/

* AT 1014 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE WINDS

IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE

EXTENDING FROM CLIFTON MILLS TO WYSOX...MOVING EAST AT 135 MPH.

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL ALSO IMPACT...

LEITCHFIELD...

HODGENVILLE...

HARTFORD...

HARDINSBURG...

ELIZABETHTOWN...

WINDYVILLE AND VERTREES...

WHITE MILLS JUNCTION AND WEST CLIFTY...

ADDINGTON FIELD AIRPORT AND INDIAN HILLS...

BOSTON AND TONIEVILLE...

There were also a few times in July I think (Chicago Derecho) where the entire line was tornado warned for brief rain-wrapped tornadoes, and it verified good enough. There's nothing wrong with that when there is some rotation within the storm.

I don't mean to turn this into a debate, but I'm curious as to what the velocity scans looked like on 4/19. Frankly, I'm not seeing a whole lot of evidence of rotation with this line on radar... just looks like a well-defined windshift with the squall line.

There's nothing wrong with issuing blanket warnings like that, if people are paying attention to the warnings, as they should be, they would see that they are TW's for brief tornadoes on the leading edge of the line, which happens a lot of times. Usually they are there for one scan, and gone. And I wonder if you would also then be complaining that no warning was issued at all.

that's such a great regional radar shot...love the sine wave look

There were some well-defined couplets but a lot of weaker ones or nothing at all from what I could tell. The threat of long track strong/violent tornadoes gets reduced but you can occasionally get brief, strong tornadoes to spin up as we did last month.

seriously? Someone had to have made an error in typing this puppy out.

It was hilarious when WAVE3 had an OEM from where this warning is on the phone when that warning came out. The 2 mets looked at each other like they had been shot, and said, that can't be right.

This is from one of the blanket tornado warning areas

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  
1118 PM EDT WED MAY 25 2011     

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     
.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                
..REMARKS..    

1045 PM     TSTM WND DMG     LEBANON                 40.05N 86.47W   
05/25/2011                   BOONE              IN   AMATEUR RADIO                   

SR 39 AND SR 32. PLY WOOD ON STREET. ROOF OFF APARTMENT BUILDING.    

Parts of East Nashville were absolutely nailed yesterday morning, and here it comes again.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN

1027 PM CDT WED MAY 25 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NASHVILLE HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHEASTERN HICKMAN COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...

NORTHWESTERN WILLIAMSON COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...

DICKSON COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...

WESTERN DAVIDSON COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...

CHEATHAM COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...

MONTGOMERY COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...

ROBERTSON COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...

* UNTIL 1100 PM CDT

* AT 1024 PM CDT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE WINDS

IN EXCESS OF 80 MPH. THESE SEVERE STORMS EXTENDED FROM OAK GROVE TO

LYLES...AND WERE MOVING NORTHEAST AT 65 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

BELLE MEADE...

NASHVILLE...

RIDGETOP...

SPRINGFIELD

So, being not a severe weather expert at all, what are the chances of this line holding together into western PA? My guess is not very good, as they are still at least 5 hours away from the Pittsburgh area?

ehh, could hold. shear is solid out there. but sooner or later,t hey'll run into weaker instability. SO while they might reach you, they shouldn't be as severe. or widespread severe*

Cell ahead of the line approaching Nashville has me worried...KSstorm posted the EHI of Hermitage of 5.1 earlier, so I anticipate a close call here in Hermitage if something does end up touching down ahead of that line...

you should be fine, it is still a relatively sloppy cell

Archived