EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
May General Banter Thread

jrips27

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe it's May already.Doesn't seem too long ago when we were tracking winter weather.Now we are tracking storms.Amazing how time flies.Anywhoo, got a bucket of fresh picked strawberries today.Going to enjoy after dinner with some yummy whipped cream.:thumbsup:

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well. Is anyone else about to lose their mind from all the noise the cicada bugs are making??????? And canker worms are bad as well.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these pests?????????

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well. Is anyone else about to lose their mind from all the noise the cicada bugs are making??????? And canker worms are bad as well.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these pests?????????

I've read a lot about this allegedly huge batch of cicadas, but I haven't heard the first one yet. I don't remember any from the big crop that was supposed to come around a few years ago either.

We've got a log home. Carpenter bees are nastier than termites and harder to control. Hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em.

Cicadas haven't been an issue here, they get a bit noisy at night but I'm used to it. One of the neat things of living in the woods is falling asleep to the sounds of the various peepers, crickets, and other night critters. The brain learns to filter them out after a while and by the time the cicadas add their noise to the mix, it's more soothing than annoying.

What's cool is the blending of the different species' noises. By June we'll have some in the hardwoods chirping at one pitch and interval, a different species mostly in the grassy clearing with another interval, a third group to the right where the pines and blackberry patches with their own rhythm and pitch. Each is virtually a "block" of sound, and they weave in and out of each other, sometimes in sync for a few chirps before the faster ones start rushing ahead, then slipping out of sync for a while. Then there's a "crack" of a twig as some large critter charges through and one section of the chorus goes silent, then slowly starts up again, stumbling around for several bars before getting back into their groove as one sync'd block of chirp.

I like to think of it as Nature's own percussion jam.

We've got a log home. Carpenter bees are nastier than termites and harder to control. Hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em.

Cicadas haven't been an issue here, they get a bit noisy at night but I'm used to it. One of the neat things of living in the woods is falling asleep to the sounds of the various peepers, crickets, and other night critters. The brain learns to filter them out after a while and by the time the cicadas add their noise to the mix, it's more soothing than annoying.

What's cool is the blending of the different species' noises. By June we'll have some in the hardwoods chirping at one pitch and interval, a different species mostly in the grassy clearing with another interval, a third group to the right where the pines and blackberry patches with their own rhythm and pitch. Each is virtually a "block" of sound, and they weave in and out of each other, sometimes in sync for a few chirps before the faster ones start rushing ahead, then slipping out of sync for a while. Then there's a "crack" of a twig as some large critter charges through and one section of the chorus goes silent, then slowly starts up again, stumbling around for several bars before getting back into their groove as one sync'd block of chirp.

You should be a writer.......... Nice description,

its been pretty boring around the se lately so it was nice to see in the may wx thread some storms may be in the works this week :) since i havent been following things much lately i couldnt add anything to the other thread so came here instead :lol: we need some active wx before the summer doldrums set in

Hey Gang,

Hope all is well , I am so mad I can no longer access this forum from my computer at work . Had a new filter" put in this weekend and unless it is work related we are unable to use the internet. I guess it would be a good time to learn how to use my blackberry huh ? I hope everyone stays safe tomorrow.

Very descriptive, Sharon. I enjoyed reading that! Tony

I'm tired of looking for the remote to turn on the gas logs. It's May, damn it.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for you, Joe, what with you getting a million inches of snow each year, and getting to complain about the cold in May while it is 90 down here, and I'm getting sun burned where I don't have ticks attached. Try to have a more Zen like outlook...soon it will be time for your big kegger with the super models, and this will all be forgotten. And after that you get to chase down Flipper and toss him on the Bar B. I want to be you, Joe, and I expect I'm not the only one!

Meanwhile, it is hot and dry, and when we do get weather these days, it is ultra severe. Your cold mtns look better all the time. T

Hey Gang,

Hope all is well , I am so mad I can no longer access this forum from my computer at work . Had a new filter" put in this weekend and unless it is work related we are unable to use the internet. I guess it would be a good time to learn how to use my blackberry huh ? I hope everyone stays safe tomorrow.

Hey, Kennedy! How is your back doing? Hope you are all better. Tony

Figured foothills might be interested in this. This link is from the main forum..an analysis of precip trends for the past 115 years. Pretty interesting.

http://blog.chron.co...itation-trends/

thanks, I never would have seen this otherwise probably. Anyway just read his blog and study, but its very generalized. I think taking missing data and interpolating in between stations isn't going to work all the time. Generally its probably good or ok, but where I'm at, it would be amazingly different. I have the last 10+ years of monthly rains at several stations in and around Cleveland County and immediate adjacent areas for example, and if you were to go by his method for example using COOP data to fill in what happened at shelby2NNE and say KFQD (rutherfordton) or KAKH it wouldn't be accurate at all. The local effects of course of the fundamental Summer flow pattern , which I showed a couple years ago, are the primary culprit. Its what made this part of the county have over a 140" negative departure now since 1999, but the way he uses his adjustments by using "climate divisions" obviously wont' show extreme local changes, that can be very real.

thanks, I never would have seen this otherwise probably. Anyway just read his blog and study, but its very generalized. I think taking missing data and interpolating in between stations isn't going to work all the time. Generally its probably good or ok, but where I'm at, it would be amazingly different. I have the last 10+ years of monthly rains at several stations in and around Cleveland County and immediate adjacent areas for example, and if you were to go by his method for example using COOP data to fill in what happened at shelby2NNE and say KFQD (rutherfordton) or KAKH it wouldn't be accurate at all. The local effects of course of the fundamental Summer flow pattern , which I showed a couple years ago, are the primary culprit. Its what made this part of the county have over a 140" negative departure now since 1999, but the way he uses his adjustments by using "climate divisions" obviously wont' show extreme local changes, that can be very real.

So, unless I'm reading this incorrectly, the Texas/Oklahoma/Nebraska region over the past century has become wetter... though it witnessed one of the greatest catastrophes in our nation's agricultural history in the 1930s. Southern Nevada - must have had a thunderstorm skew that data. I found the data for Yellowstone pretty interesting. It has gotten much drier there. Many of the glaciers have gotten smaller in that region. I wonder if it might be caused by drought?

Looking for some predictions for my backyard (Asheboro, in central NC) for Wednesday morning. My school is having a graduation ceremony at 10 am and it's scheduled for outside. I'm thinking that we need to move it indoors. Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

At this point, I'm thinking by Wednesday things may start to become more showery, but the one thing you might want to prepare for is it being rather chilly. Upper 40's are not going to feel too nice to sit around in without some sort of jacket.

Thanks for the information, Phil. Congratulations on your degree! I think moving indoors is the best bet right now. Practice is tomorrow at 9am and it looks even less promising than Wednesday.

Well if its anything like my graduation... they won't move it indoors unless something life threatening could occur like severe weather... at this point, I just see a potentially dreary day shaping up.

Well if its anything like my graduation... they won't move it indoors unless something life threatening could occur like severe weather... at this point, I just see a potentially dreary day shaping up.

Well, in this case, I am on staff and have a hand in the decision. I know that the ground will be pretty wet and the ceremony is on the front lawn of the school. I am trying to gather all possible scenarios before making my recommendation. Thanks again!

:lol: Are you tired of your winter paradise? :lol:

By this time of year I'm sick of it. It's only been 70 twice with wind on both of those days. I'm ready for flip flops and tank tops. It didn't get out of the 40's today. Cloudy and dreary. I'm sitting here by the fire. It's the middle of MAY !!!!!:gun_bandana:

BTW..... 5 days, 14 hours, 12 min, 33 sec. :sun:

Archived