CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
SNE May-hem

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be heading out I-90 to I-91N. That's the quickest route. I guess I could stop in North Hampton for some brews. :beer:

There's a million restaurants in Northampton... If you want to eat there, it really all depends on what you're in the mood for.

If you're in the center of Greenfield for lunch, I recommend Hope and Olive, The Greenfield Grille, China Gourmet, Thai Blue Ginger, or maybe Taylor's Tavern.

My lilacs still look dormant, different world.

Haha, it still looks like November here in the mountains, sticks and old, dead leaves. I was down in the Champlain Valley last night and this morning, leaves are breaking out quickly down there and it actually looks like spring.

Euro has days and days of 70's and sun days 5-10...with the cutoff well ofshore and nice high pressure protectig us.

More like low 60s given cold mid-level temps as that high pressure protecting us is a maritime Canadian high. Its out in la-la land anyway, but verbatim, that is not 70s and sun for days.

Yeah I don't see how someone at 1000' could reach the 70s with 850s of +1-2C...

Well with Kevin you have to moderate cooler in the summer season and go warmer/less snowy than he says in the winter season. Usually if the valley floor in SW CT can maybe touch 70F in a pattern, then he will say it shows 70s for everyone...and when N ORH county above 1000 feet could see some accumulating snow in the winter, its an advisory event for SNE away from the coast.

Well with Kevin you have to moderate cooler in the summer season and go warmer/less snowy than he says in the winter season. Usually if the valley floor in SW CT can maybe touch 70F in a pattern, then he will say it shows 70s for everyone...and when N ORH county above 1000 feet could see some accumulating snow in the winter, its an advisory event for SNE away from the coast.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Got it, Will!

I mean the 12z ECM probably doesn't give 70s for days on end here in Westchester, even. Day 5 and 8 have 850s around 1C.

I got a road trip coming up on Thursday. I am heading out to a site in Greenfield, MA. 2 hour drive, one -way. Anyone know of any good place to stop for a bite to eat? Should be there around noon time.

You can go to the People's Pint in the center of Greenfield. Better yet just stop in Northampton and choose from many great restaurant's.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Got it, Will!

I mean the 12z ECM probably doesn't give 70s for days on end here in Westchester, even. Day 5 and 8 have 850s around 1C.

Its definitely a blocked pattern that is keeping the heat out of the northeast but there is also a lot of warmth building into the center of the country on the Euro...so if the block was less impressive or oriented a little differently and we got a piece of that, then we could definitely be a lot warmer. Verbatim though the 12z Euro is not warm weather though...rather seasonably cool weather. Doesn;t mean there can't be some nice days in there, but I would never expect 75 and sun from a nosing Maritime high pressure with 850 temps of +2 or +3C.

Its definitely a blocked pattern that is keeping the heat out of the northeast but there is also a lot of warmth building into the center of the country on the Euro...so if the block was less impressive or oriented a little differently and we got a piece of that, then we could definitely be a lot warmer. Verbatim though the 12z Euro is not warm weather though...rather seasonably cool weather. Doesn;t mean there can't be some nice days in there, but I would never expect 75 and sun from a nosing Maritime high pressure with 850 temps of +2 or +3C.

Both the ECM and GFS really do have a bit of a "Sonoran ridge" look in the longer-range (Day 7) with intense heat (~30C at 850mb) building into the Southern Plains and bubbling to the Southeast. Neither model shows it moving into the Northeast but given the trend for everything to be a bit warmer than expected this spring since the 3/31 storm, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple of nice days thrown in with temps climbing into the 70s down here. Just look at this week: we originally thought that it might be 40s and rain for all of us, and now with the cut-off being a bit farther west we get 65-70 for two days before the cooler weather arrives. I hope the models lose that Nor'easter coming up the coast around Day 10, that does look pretty ugly and appears in some form on the Euro and GFS 12z runs.

It is in CT..carbon copies of this past Sunday

So you might get the valley floor in CT threatening to barely touch 70F. That was with roughly +5C 850 temps under full sun.

Euro is low to mid 60s for everyone else if its sunny...lower if there is cloud contamination. It will probably look different next run anyway.

Both the ECM and GFS really do have a bit of a "Sonoran ridge" look in the longer-range (Day 7) with intense heat (~30C at 850mb) building into the Southern Plains and bubbling to the Southeast. Neither model shows it moving into the Northeast but given the trend for everything to be a bit warmer than expected this spring since the 3/31 storm, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple of nice days thrown in with temps climbing into the 70s down here. Just look at this week: we originally thought that it might be 40s and rain for all of us, and now with the cut-off being a bit farther west we get 65-70 for two days before the cooler weather arrives. I hope the models lose that Nor'easter coming up the coast around Day 10, that does look pretty ugly and appears in some form on the Euro and GFS 12z runs.

Be careful of what you wish for. We certainly don't want a dry Spring going into the summer. A soaking nor'easter will probably be welcomed in the next couple of weeks.

Be careful of what you wish for. We certainly don't want a dry Spring going into the summer. A soaking nor'easter will probably be welcomed in the next couple of weeks.

As long as we don't get a lot of torches in the summer, I'm happy. I'd love a summer like 2004. Cool but not rain all the time like 2009.

Why don't we want a dry spring?

My heirloom tomatoes and eggplants like a TORCH devilsmiley.gif

100+ every day, baby, dry and dusty. Bring it!

yes. this. was just thinking about this general idea. it doesn't take long once we get leaf out to really start sucking the soil moisture up fast. euro is basically a .2-.5 type deal tomorrow then essentially nothing for the remainder of the run.

Yup, plants, trees, and grasses are just sucking up all the moisture right now.

yeah it happens fast from this point forward. only takes one good soaking to help things out and long-term trends are OK but you don't want weeks on end of dry weather this time of year when we know that the summer is so often hit or miss.

I think BDL is something like +7 or 8 inches in the rainfall surplus this year so far

+5 inches...but you need good rain this time of year during leaf out or the surplus will get sucked right out of the soil...even if reservoirs remain fine.

Hopefully we get a good solid drought this summer. It is basically the most interesting wx topic until next fall. dead grass, brush fires and crop damage.

SE CT and Westerly, RI are still damp from the March 2010 floods. No drought concerns there.

Archived