mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
May 2011 general discussion/obs thread

Powerball

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it up to 89 here...lots of sun with warming only briefly halted as a quick shower passed over.

Regarding summer, the local met is predicting a deathly hot one...like, as warm or warmer than the 1930's. Seems like a stretch but if we dry the soils out and get a pattern like today in place with some frequency, then we're gonna have some really hot days.

Don't see this too often...

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK

755 AM CDT TUE MAY 10 2011

...RECORD WARMEST HIGH AND LOW TEMPERATURES SET AT OKLAHOMA CITY...

YESTERDAY AT WILL ROGERS WORLD AIRPORT... THE LOW TEMPERATURE WAS 71

DEGREES... WHICH HAD BROKEN THE RECORD FOR THE WARMEST LOW

TEMPERATURE FOR MAY 9. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 70 DEGREES... WHICH

OCCURRED BACK IN 1963.

YESTERDAY AT WILL ROGERS WORLD AIRPORT... THE HIGH TEMPERATURE WAS

94 DEGREES... WHICH HAD BROKEN THE RECORD FOR THE WARMEST HIGH

TEMPERATURE FOR MAY 9. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 93 DEGREES... WHICH

OCCURRED BACK IN 1895.

FOR TODAYS DATE... THE RECORD WARMEST LOW TEMPERATURE FOR OKLAHOMA

CITY IS 71 DEGREES... WHICH OCCURRED BACK IN 1963. SO FAR TODAY...

THE LOW TEMPERATURE AT WILL ROGERS WORLD AIRPORT HAS BEEN 73

DEGREES... WHICH WILL LIKELY ALSO BREAK THE RECORD FOR THE WARMEST

LOW TEMPERATURE FOR MAY 10. THE RECORD WILL OFFICIALLY BE SET AT

MIDNIGHT CST.

TEMPERATURE RECORDS FOR OKLAHOMA CITY DATE BACK TO 1890.

51 out.. loving this spring.

Lake MI. saved the day up here yesterday.. gorgeous 60's and dry air. wont be quite so lucky today & tomorrow but come friday afternoon it looks like we all will enjoy a good week of mostly below normal temps if the euro is right :thumbsup:

At what point don't you mind summer temps? June?

At what point don't you mind summer temps? June?

I could take days like yesterday all summer.. 60's for me and 80's where it matters in Lake Country 20 miles west. I have no pool at the house so no need for summer temps.. I love farmers markets..no need for garden heat.. Later I can go without having to live behind the AC the better.. Just got done living in a closed up house for 4+months.. why rush in to another 4 months of living in a windows boarded up house.

Kind of agree with Bow here. I do enjoy the 80s and maybe a few days in 90s (for Lake activities). But nothing beats open windows and a pleasant Summer breeze. 75-82 with blue skies , low humidity and a very light breeze is just perfect. Love when over night temps dip into the upper 50s..

Kind of agree with Bow here. I do enjoy the 80s and maybe a few days in 90s (for Lake activities). But nothing beats open windows and a pleasant Summer breeze. 75-82 with blue skies , low humidity and a very light breeze is just perfect. Love when over night temps dip into the upper 50s..

I totally agree, but Bow seems to like 50s and 60s, and while 60s are nice, 50s in May and June are a little chilly.

I totally agree, but Bow seems to like 50s and 60s, and while 60s are nice, 50s in May and June are a little chilly.

50's is shorts weather in May if you grew up in WI. Now 50's in june is ridiculous but prob happens 1or 2 times 75% of Junes.

Was just starting to warm up in the house and bam..in a farts time itdropped from 67 to 53.

Unfortunately, the Euro has gotten much cooler through 10 days with the latest run. It even has sub-zero temps at 850mb parked over the upper midwest/great lakes for a few days. Both the GFS and Euro suggest that after Thursday we may not hit 70 degrees again until sometime in the day 11-13 period. I guess this is what it's going to be around here. We got teased with some warmth in early April and again this week, but the cold pattern just sets back in.

Unfortunately, the Euro has gotten much cooler through 10 days with the latest run. It even has sub-zero temps at 850mb parked over the upper midwest/great lakes for a few days. Both the GFS and Euro suggest that after Thursday we may not hit 70 degrees again until sometime in the day 11-13 period. I guess this is what it's going to be around here. We got teased with some warmth in early April and again this week, but the cold pattern just sets back in.

Normal high here is still in the 60s...so it's really not that unusual to go a week without 70s. I wouldn't call it a "cold pattern".

If it were late May, that's a different story...

After this recent warmth this will feel cold. Brrrr...

BowMe Approves

ecmwfNA_850_temp_144.gif

50's FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really overachieved on temps here today. Made it back up to 92. Was only supposed to make it into the mid to upper 80s. The QC set another record with 92 in Moline, and 93 at DVN.

Temps have really cooled off here over the last hour, as a dying blob of light showers is moving through. We missed out on the storm action today, but wasn't expecting anything anyway.

Made it to at least 89. Have to wait and see if there's an intrahour bump.

Must be nice. Probably warmer than I'll see all summer. Have yet to see anything higher than 66 here besides that dumb 80 degree day on April 10th.

Archived