Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
May 2011 general discussion/obs thread

Powerball

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring it on! May is one of my favorite months. Its the final transition month before Summer. You get warm days followed by cool nights..This making for No AC ,open windows and perfect sleeping weather..Its a toss up between May and September for the most pleasant months of the year!

Bring it on! May is one of my favorite months. Its the final transition month before Summer. You get warm days followed by cool nights..This making for No AC ,open windows and perfect sleeping weather..Its a toss up between May and September for the most pleasant months of the year!

Not this year you won't. Expect mild nights and cool afternoons with tons of rain and thunderstorms.

Not this year you won't. Expect mild nights and cool afternoons with tons of rain and thunderstorms.

We shall see about that.!! Even the worst of past May's Always feature pleasant days like I mentioned. Even May 2009 as rainy as it was still had its fair share of beautiful days.

Well for one, STL met Dave Murray said yesterday that by mid May the pattern may break....even if it's normal then 70's are a good bet but around our area, I still think with the Nina holding it's own, look at how positive the SOI is and the northern jet running a bit south of normal, I can see a continuation of the stormy and colder pattern well into if not the entire month of May sadly. I would have liked to see the SOI plummet but that may not occur until late Jun or July. Gonna be a tough road to spring, the battle zone should continue over us with severe weather likely as the month goes by. I think the big headlines will be the flooding more than the temps though. I hope I'm wrong, but these patterns can stay locked in for months at a time...

In honor of Deedler Im gonna post the Spring 2008 write up for DTX.

Allot has been said and many comparisons about this Spring to the Spring of 2008..In fact the Juice Head (JB) :weight_lift: wrote on WeatherBell and referenced the Spring of 2008 many times.

Here is the Spring 2008 write up from DTX.

Spring started out cold and snowy with temperatures below normal in March, after, well above normal temperatures came in April only to reverse again to significantly below in May. With this sine-wave temperature pattern, the entire spring averaged just slightly below normal /-0.2/ over Southeast Lower Michigan. What was more noteworthy below normal was the precipitation with a 2½ - 3.0 inch deficit and coming at the worst time to boot, mainly mid to late spring.

NAO heading towards 0 and AO is gonna go negative. Something has to change in this pattern if that happens, right? Can't flip the indices around and keep the same pattern.

And actually this site shows the NAO going negative too.

http://www.esrl.noaa.../compare.pn.png

Intersting post, last summer featured a neg NAO/AO pattern but I can'r remember if a trough over Alaska kept it warmer here or what. My concern is the wetter soils if they don't in fact shove the ridge in summer further west and stick us in a predominetly trough"e" pattern....Be nice to see a positive NAO summer to at least bring some heat this way....only time will tell. I think by May 15th-20th we may get a better handle on summer, at least some more clues.

Man long range GFS shows meh..slightly below temps, no torch at all and more of the same sh*t midwest weather great for making already obese people around here even fatter. Love going to the Chicago lakefront and seeing all them beached whales with no tans sitting out there. May looks like sh*t like the past 2 months. Hopefully the drought in TX and OK can dig in more thus perhaps possibly impacting how many winter storms cut up this way in winter, to at least make up for this cesspool of crap weather that we are having.

Man long range GFS shows meh..slightly below temps, no torch at all and more of the same sh*t midwest weather great for making already obese people around here even fatter. Love going to the Chicago lakefront and seeing all them beached whales with no tans sitting out there. May looks like sh*t like the past 2 months. Hopefully the drought in TX and OK can dig in more thus perhaps possibly impacting how many winter storms cut up this way in winter, to at least make up for this cesspool of crap weather that we are having.

May has not started yet..I wouldn't put much faith in the Long Range guidance!

Stop posting.

FWIW, the local met is predicting a rapid warmup as we get into May with some 90 degree days and possibly 100 (his words not mine!). He also thinks a ring of fire type pattern.

Hoosier,

Have you set on any analog for this summer yet? On the general boards I keep hearing 2008 tossed around, but was wondering what you and say alek and Chicago storm are seeing as far as analogs go...thanks.

Hoosier,

Have you set on any analog for this summer yet? On the general boards I keep hearing 2008 tossed around, but was wondering what you and say alek and Chicago storm are seeing as far as analogs go...thanks.

I'm not doing a summer outlook so no analogs from me. I do think that if this wet pattern continues, it's going to make it more difficult to expand any heat ridge north and east toward our area at least on a consistent basis.

Thanks,

And agreed about the moist soil theory and the ridging difficlties, I haven't seen many summer forecasts out there so we shall see. I did read Brett Anderson sho said la nina is la nada by end of May but the strong easterlies and it's effects will linger through the summer as we head into nuetral. One thing of interest was the warm pool growing in the east pacific. I know a nasa big wig commented on el nino conditions....it's an intersting read, here is the link.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/anderson/story/48877/update-on-la-nina-and-the-upcoming-summer.asp

Thanks,

And agreed about the moist soil theory and the ridging difficlties, I haven't seen many summer forecasts out there so we shall see. I did read Brett Anderson sho said la nina is la nada by end of May but the strong easterlies and it's effects will linger through the summer as we head into nuetral. One thing of interest was the warm pool growing in the east pacific. I know a nasa big wig commented on el nino conditions....it's an intersting read, here is the link.

http://www.accuweath...ming-summer.asp

Summer will come! It always does. Give it 2 months and we all will be in the 80s & 90s. Its happened for the last Million years.

Archived