• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
May 2011 general discussion/obs thread

Powerball

Going into May it does look a brief dry period, hopefully we can eek out about 5 or 6 days and get the farms planted but the wet pattern should remain locked in. Intersting though, once the nina effects are gone, I would not be surprised if the summer went on to be slightly drier, no drought, but drier overall. Have to admit though with all the rain, the foliage looks absoloutly breathtaking, especially when the sun shines on it and it's still wet...pretty sight, makes the air smell nice.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

where? why?

Not sure yet.. looks like maybe a upper Plains threat May 3-4? Depends on if sys right before is worth hitting.. if not we may just drive to OK/KS to stage. Going chasing through mid-mo.

No end in site yet to the near constant stream of waves. Does look like a bit of a shift up in storm track -- headed out to the Plains/midwest on Sunday. :D

The thing is I thought that a major system would break this pattern for a bit, how much more significant of a system can we get beyond what just happened yesterday.

No end in site yet to the near constant stream of waves. Does look like a bit of a shift up in storm track -- headed out to the Plains/midwest on Sunday. :D

Saturday/Sunday's system could finally provide first decent opportunity of severe weather for those who haven't had any this year (Southern Great Lakes/Northern Ohio Valley).

The only 2 questions are will the Gulf of Mexico have recovered for ideal moisture return and will the dynamics be ideal with the low occluding well up into Canada with time.

Climo in the region of question says no.

The thing is I thought that a major system would break this pattern for a bit, how much more significant of a system can we get beyond what just happened yesterday.

I'm not totally thrilled with the pattern, though the one we've had in April isnt that great for chasing -- plus I don't really want to see cities destroyed.. but it does look like there is still a lot of energy around. Getting amplification might be tough with a -NAO and an east coast trough. I guess it'll make a good story that I went storm chasing during one of the worst years ever during a time when there were no tornadoes.

I'm not totally thrilled with the pattern, though the one we've had in April isnt that great for chasing -- plus I don't really want to see cities destroyed.. but it does look like there is still a lot of energy around. Getting amplification might be tough with a -NAO and an east coast trough. I guess it'll make a good story that I went storm chasing during one of the worst years ever during a time when there were no tornadoes.

I think that things just get shunted to the Front Range and Great Plains for bit. So you still have a good shot at seeing stuff, if anything a better shot as most of those places have unobstructed visibility of well over 15 miles.

I think that things just get shunted to the Front Range and Great Plains for bit. So you still have a good shot at seeing stuff, if anything a better shot as most of those places have unobstructed visibility of well over 15 miles.

That's my general impression. Questions are how much the gulf can stay open etc. I'd be fine with several slight risks that produce photogenic storms. GFS has advertised a bigger event off and on around next weekend but I'm not sure how much faith I have in that.

That's my general impression. Questions are how much the gulf can stay open etc. I'd be fine with several slight risks that produce photogenic storms. GFS has advertised a bigger event off and on around next weekend but I'm not sure how much faith I have in that.

Yeah I think there is decent chance of some slight risk action out there. When do you leave?

Yeah I think there is decent chance of some slight risk action out there. When do you leave?

Planning on heading out early Sunday morning.. try to get out to OK or maybe north depending on outlooks by late Mon. I guess we might still shift it up a bit if there is reason.

Planning on heading out early Sunday morning.. try to get out to OK or maybe north depending on outlooks by late Mon. I guess we might still shift it up a bit if there is reason.

Yeah I am thinking it might be north of OK, though the dryline could always light up too down there. Of course probably best to get closer before making any sort of distinction on location

Could have a really boring start to May..Not even seeing a reason to complain about much..Temps near normal and near normal precip..LOL I'm starting to think that April and May will be worlds apart..

My hunch is the active pattern shifts north a little. We still have all the same ingredients for the hyper pattern to continue into May. Thus take note of the very unusual cold in Canada ( cant recall the last time i saw such cold coming into May up there? ) that is still had which is good for firing things up when it decides to wanna meet up with all the juice from the GOM and keep in mind it is May now and thus even better dynamics ( via heating/sun angle ) to work with too. The euro weeklies keep it below to much below normal ( first week of this month ) all the way till May 30th for the region. Ofcourse they can be wrong as well but all the wetness in and near the region suggests warmth/heat will have a harder time making it this far north and thus some support for them weeklies. We'll see anyways.

My hunch is the active pattern shifts north a little. We still have all the same ingredients for the hyper pattern to continue into May. Thus take note of the very unusual cold in Canada ( cant recall the last time i saw such cold coming into May up there? ) that is still had which is good for firing things up when it decides to wanna meet up with all the juice from the GOM and keep in mind it is May now and thus even better dynamics ( via heating/sun angle ) to work with too. The euro weeklies keep it below to much below normal ( first week of this month ) all the way till May 30th for the region. Ofcourse they can be wrong as well but all the wetness in and near the region suggests warmth/heat will have a harder time making it this far north and thus some support for them weeklies. We'll see anyways.

I agree about things shifting north with time as you'd expect. The pattern over the next week to 10 days doesn't look as favorable for big severe outbreaks but that only takes us through the first part of May.

I agree about things shifting north with time as you'd expect. The pattern over the next week to 10 days doesn't look as favorable for big severe outbreaks but that only takes us through the first part of May.

As i always say anything beyond day 3 is a crap shot with models so i won't rule anything out yet. But yeah for now it looks a little quieter on the severe wx front. We'll see anyways. Thankfully this area can deal with tons of rain so it wont hurt my feelings any if what they have had south of here makes it here. Ofcourse as i saw driving back from Ohio a few days ago i doubt those in N.OH feel the same with a number of the creeks and rivers nearing or just getting over the top down that way.

Wow, if you're looking for a spring/summer-like pattern, then forget it.

Most of the indices suggests the same crap we've had for the past 3 weeks will continue for a while.

Not great if you live down south of course, because the active pattern will likely continue.

Most of the indices suggests the same crap we've had for the past 3 weeks will continue for a while.

Not great if you live down south of course, because the active pattern will likely continue.

The next 7-10 days look pretty damn nice.

Really doesn't look as bad as you said.

Really doesn't look as bad as you said.

Quad Cities NWS mentioned the possible development of an omega block and continued general below normal temps through at least mid May. While I and my garden would love a nice stretch of 70s and and a few 80s, at least now we are getting to the point where temps a little below normal are still pleasant(as long as there's not a chilly wind like today).

I agree, certainly dont see any big breaks in this ongoing parade of storms for the past 4 months lol. La-Nina is the problem. I'm just hoping this year does not end up like 2009 (summer)...Last year at this time I was at the beach' it was a El-Nino year tho, make a big difference.

Archived