• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 2010

HWY316wx

Bradford pears, or whatever it is that grows on this tree, are just starting to soften and attracting animals. I have had the squirrels up in the tree feasting for the past week or so in the mornings, but never knew deer liked them. Grazing on the low branches ripe with fruit, better than my clovers though. This is also the sacrificial tree from last winter that I put a 1" plus glaze on with the sprinkler over a couple hour span one evening with temps crashing through the 20's. Did not realize, well kind of did, we would barely make it out of the 30's for a week after that. Branches now hang lower than they used to :thumbsup: . Thinking about cutting it down, as it looks fuggly, and is getting to close to the deck.

Is there an image? Bradford pears don't have fruit. They do, however, have a tendency to split and break easily so that the slightest wind or ice accumulation splits them apart.

By the way, in case I haven't mentioned it, I enjoy your posts!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

948 PM EST FRI DEC 3 2010

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE...THROUGH TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY.

AN UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE AND ASSOCIATED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL

TRACK SOUTHEAST FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST INTO THE TENNESSEE VALLEY ON

SATURDAY...AND THROUGH THE CAROLINAS SATURDAY NIGHT. LIGHT

PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED ACROSS CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA AS THE

LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKS SOUTH OF THE AREA. TEMPERATURES WILL BE

COLD ENOUGH TO SUPPORT SNOW OR A MIXTURE OF RAIN AND SNOW LATE

SATURDAY AFTERNOON INTO SATURDAY NIGHT...PRIMARILY NORTH OF HIGHWAY

64. SOME UNCERTAINTY REMAINS WITH REGARD TO THE TRACK OF THE LOW

PRESSURE SYSTEM AND PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS. A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY

FOR LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS MAY BE NEEDED LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON

INTO SATURDAY NIGHT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW--- (OT)Yes, Bradford Pears do have small fruit... pencil eraser sized pears.

Favorite winter food source for squirrels and mockingbirds

I stand corrected then. I had not noticed that before. I will have to be more observant.

I have two Bradford Pear tree's in my yard, their pretty in the spring with the blooms, but the break real easy in ice storms, I found that out in the big ice storm of Dec., 2002, here in the piedmont of N.C., Bradford Pear tree's down every where.

Is there an image? Bradford pears don't have fruit. They do, however, have a tendency to split and break easily so that the slightest wind or ice accumulation splits them apart.

By the way, in case I haven't mentioned it, I enjoy your posts!

Just snapped 2 for you, and found 1 archived... First is the area where the deer were at, as you can see, they stripped the bottom small branch and were working up the second. They have likely been doing this for a couple days, or week and I have not noticed, as I just did a little walk around and noticed most of the pears gone on the branches closest to the ground. Second image is a little higher up, with the aid of the maglite, showing how much fruit is on the tree. Last image is of this tree taken Dec 30, 2009, a couple days after a major ZR event via one sprinkler. We have two large ones now, there were four total on the lot years ago before we bought, but Flyod and Fran did sig damage to them and they had to be removed.

green thing in the background was one of 3, 40 cubic yard containers from last year, clearing out brush for my clover farm.

I have two Bradford Pear tree's in my yard, their pretty in the spring with the blooms, but the break real easy in ice storms, I found that out in the big ice storm of Dec., 2002, here in the piedmont of N.C., Bradford Pear tree's down every where.

One of the first signs of spring here in Eastern NC is the bradford pears blooming. Thousands of small white flowers, that stink!!! Sorry for the OT banter, 37/32 at the 11 o'clock hour, past morning. :thumbsup:

I literally couldn't watch this past 2:30 or so, being afraid of heights. My feet and palms are literally sweaty right now, more power to people who can do this stuff.

You need to watch it on out. I swear he gets above some of the building clouds in the distance.

I go climb Whiteside Mtn. near Cashiers from time to time, and the trail works pretty close to the edge as you near the top. Knowing there is only some scrub mtn. laurel between me and maybe 1000 foot space gets my heart pumping pretty good, and I get as far from the edge as possible :) And at the top, where the fenced overlook is I'll sit down just so I won't be doing any sliding and crash through that chainlink fence, lol. I wouldn't climb it in the ice, or snow very comfortably, but I'd love to do it sometimel. Have to be a great sight!!

I hope the gfs is right and I'll maybe get a little rain chance coming. My second round of seed needs a rain boost. At least the goofy was right about bringing down the cold, it would seem, but that beautiful omega block from days past is a memory. T

Just snapped 2 for you, and found 1 archived... First is the area where the deer were at, as you can see, they stripped the bottom small branch and were working up the second. They have likely been doing this for a couple days, or week and I have not noticed, as I just did a little walk around and noticed most of the pears gone on the branches closest to the ground. Second image is a little higher up, with the aid of the maglite, showing how much fruit is on the tree. Last image is of this tree taken Dec 30, 2009, a couple days after a major ZR event via one sprinkler. We have two large ones now, there were four total on the lot years ago before we bought, but Flyod and Fran did sig damage to them and they had to be removed.

I'm so glad you put this pic up. Let me ask you something, are your bradfords just totally overloaded with berries this year? My two in the front yard have more berries than ever. I had branches dragging the ground this year. And those little boogers are NASTY once they start to rot. Thank goodness for the occasional flock of birds. Takes them two days to clean the tree bare. Wonder if all those berries are a signal for snow on December 4th at 8pm? :whistle:

I'm so glad you put this pic up. Let me ask you something, are your bradfords just totally overloaded with berries this year? My two in the front yard have more berries than ever. I had branches dragging the ground this year. And those little boogers are NASTY once they start to rot. Thank goodness for the occasional flock of birds. Takes them two days to clean the tree bare. Wonder if all those berries are a signal for snow on December 4th at 8pm? :whistle:

yeah, they are overloaded this year, which I attribute to a very wet winter, and spring, which allowed for a excellent fruit set going into early summer

Current Conditions: Mostly Clear

Temp: 29.8 degrees

Dewpoint: 23 degrees

It looks like high clouds should be streaming in from the west soon. Thus far the radar doesn't look too bad, although from the observations I'm seeing, most of the heaviest snowfall is confined to a very potent but very narrow band. I get the feeling that this will also likely happen across the southeast as the impulse moves across. Could be a case where some areas will get lucky under a band while other people won't be as fortunate.

Current Conditions: Mostly Clear

Temp: 29.8 degrees

Dewpoint: 23 degrees

It looks like high clouds should be streaming in from the west soon. Thus far the radar doesn't look too bad, although from the observations I'm seeing, most of the heaviest snowfall is confined to a very potent but very narrow band. I get the feeling that this will also likely happen across the southeast as the impulse moves across. Could be a case where some areas will get lucky under a band while other people won't be as fortunate.

When I lived in Hurricane, WV, I happened to get lucky once under one of those bands. I think it was 2006 (or 2007?) and we were under no advisories whatsoever with forecasts for a dusting to an inch of snow as a lake-enhanced clipper was moving through (which seemed like happened every other day up there at times during the winter). Generally, these clippers bring a quick dusting of snow before the snow stops and the sun comes back out. Then we may see another quick dusting and so on.

But this time, we got stuck under a training band of heavy snow and within a few hours, we had 6" of snow. Places just 15-30 miles north and south of us saw nearly nothing. The band stretched right along I-64 from Huntington to Charleston, if I remember right. The roads got really bad after 5 PM when the snow was falling hard and the sun began setting. The snow finally stopped around 8 PM or so.

I think those are some of my favorite snowstorms where you get fortunate to get stuck under a lucky band or a storm builds up out of seemingly nowhere or changes course, ala January 25th, 2000 (I lived in NC then).

When I lived in Hurricane, WV, I happened to get lucky once under one of those bands. I think it was 2006 (or 2007?) and we were under no advisories whatsoever with forecasts for a dusting to an inch of snow as a lake-enhanced clipper was moving through (which seemed like happened every other day up there at times during the winter). Generally, these clippers bring a quick dusting of snow before the snow stops and the sun comes back out. Then we may see another quick dusting and so on.

But this time, we got stuck under a training band of heavy snow and within a few hours, we had 6" of snow. Places just 15-30 miles north and south of us saw nearly nothing. The band stretched right along I-64 from Huntington to Charleston, if I remember right. The roads got really bad after 5 PM when the snow was falling hard and the sun began setting. The snow finally stopped around 8 PM or so.

I think those are some of my favorite snowstorms where you get fortunate to get stuck under a lucky band or a storm builds up out of seemingly nowhere or changes course, ala January 25th, 2000 (I lived in NC then).

Yea its the storms that unexpectedly intensify out of nowhere that really capture my attention. The January 25th, 2000 storm was a great case of how deep convective precipitation provided enough latent heat to rapidly intensify the surface cyclone beyond what was expected in the modeling. In fact, that's still a big problem with computer models today. We can't accurately forecast the intensity of hurricanes because of those internal dynamical processes within convection that affect the surface pressure and intensity of the storm. While its obviously not quite the same in baroclinic lows, whenever deep convection adds latent heat release as added energy to a baroclinc system, there is always a greater degree of uncertainty than systems that don't contain such features.

Back to the topic at hand... I've been trying to identify reasoning on why the models have become more bullish with precipitation expectations across NC today. Looking at the RUC, I think we might have a potential answer. The 300mb analysis shows a nice jet streak in the mid-west that is a little stronger than progged by the nam earlier today. In addition, we see a secondary weak jet max located over Virgina. Is is this secondary jet max that might be helping to enhance the divergence further over NC/TN in the next 12-18 hours. In fact while most clippers seem to lose moisture as they duck southward, this system should be able to hold on to is precipitation shield and perhaps expand it over the next 12 hours as virga/precipitation slides into the Carolinas.

27xqo2g.png

green thing in the background was one of 3, 40 cubic yard containers from last year, clearing out brush for my clover farm.

Awesome! Thanks man. I have never seen that fruit on a BP tree. Granted, I don't have any in my yard, but there are a ton in my neighborhood. The smell like crap in the spring. Cool pics!

BTW I know it's 7 days but Euro had a system moving in next Saturday if you split the GFS cold with the Euro moisture that would be a pretty good storm for us....doubt it does anything but it might be something to watch.

ha, and I'll take a McDonalds biscuit, a Bojangle's sausage patty, a Waffle House hashbrowns, and a Dunkin Donuts coffee. We can have one but not both.:pepsi:

Archived