Total Members
    Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
May

LithiaWx

*OUCH* The truck looks pretty bad :yikes:

I'm sorry to hear about your tree Lookout :wub: I had a favorite Cottonwood tree, not sure how old it was, but it was larger than any tree I had seen before, that was blown down from a nasty storm that produced a tornado on the south side of Phoenix after passing over Catalina. We played at the river almost every day on that tree. Laying on the huge branches that were spread out near the ground, swinging/jumping from the rope when the snow melted on Mt. Lemmon and would fill the bowl with crystal clear, ice cold water. Later in the summer when the water was only a couple of inches across we would sit inbetween the roots and enjoy our oasis in the desert :wub:

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't had much chance to post but we had a hell of a lot of wind damage from the storms the other day...yet amazingly didn't get much of any rain. I was driving home from gainesville and got caught in that line and it was quite incredible, as I was moving in such a manner as to stay in the line as it was moving east. Winds easily in the 60mph range most of the way from pendagrass to athens, including some pea size hail right before athens.

Sorry about the tree and truck! If it is any consolation, it will probably be sprouting out from the stump before the summer is over. What gets me is all that wind and energy and no rain, yet Atl. north got buckets. I have 1.4 for the month, so far. and I don't see any more coming. You know it is bad when the grass crackles when you walk on it less than a day after rain. T

I feel pretty stupid to be saddened by a tree being taken down when you consider all the damage and destruction so many people have suffered this year from storms though. Still, I grew up playing around that tree (plus it had a creek run over it's roots which attracted me and my cousins even more), so it seems pretty surreal to see and know it's gone.

I feel the same way as you, about trees. If you grow up with one, and pay special attention to it and care for it esp, like pruning, watering in droughts, etc (dont' know if you did that), plus just to have special memories of you, your friends, your pets climbing in them, etc, then its perfectly legit to be a concern when its destroyed. I've watched nature destroy quite a few trees here the last few years..and some my dad planted when I was young, so I can feel a sense of pain when nature rips them out with an ice storm or drought, or Tstorm winds. I've got a few pics from last 2 months of tree damage, some old ones I've rode by for 40 years on the highway are gone, and its almost every where now you see major damage. I'm a tree hugger though :)A lot of people could care less and see just a tree, without giving it another thought.

My thoughts on this weekend's weather and the upcoming heat wave... with the potential for some MCS action later in the week.

http://www.avlweatherblog.com/

Yep, it had a fairly large area of rot on the inside. Still it survived many large wind storms in recent years. But I guess because it was probably at least 120 feet tall (it was taller by a wide margin than all the other surrounding trees including a very large and old pine), the wind must of caught those huge limbs and it was enough to finally take it down.

I feel pretty stupid to be saddened by a tree being taken down when you consider all the damage and destruction so many people have suffered this year from storms though. Still, I grew up playing around that tree (plus it had a creek run over it's roots which attracted me and my cousins even more), so it seems pretty surreal to see and know it's gone.

I had a ton of limbs down in my yard (far more than the squall line) but I'm fortunate to have very healthy oaks (despite being large). So considering how strong the winds must have been, I was lucky.

Although the ride home was really fun, I regret not being here at the time. It had to be a hell of a scene.

I feel the same way as you, about trees. If you grow up with one, and pay special attention to it and care for it esp, like pruning, watering in droughts, etc (dont' know if you did that), plus just to have special memories of you, your friends, your pets climbing in them, etc, then its perfectly legit to be a concern when its destroyed. I've watched nature destroy quite a few trees here the last few years..and some my dad planted when I was young, so I can feel a sense of pain when nature rips them out with an ice storm or drought, or Tstorm winds. I've got a few pics from last 2 months of tree damage, some old ones I've rode by for 40 years on the highway are gone, and its almost every where now you see major damage. I'm a tree hugger though :)A lot of people could care less and see just a tree, without giving it another thought.

Yea its been a rough year for everyone, severe weather wise. Lookout, you talked about how you got little rain but the wind was horrible. I'm wondering if you got slammed really bad from the gust front that developed on Thursday afternoon from the squall line that got organized but slipped by further to the north. Do you happen to know what direction the winds were coming from when you received the damage?

Nothing wrong with being a tree hugger I'd say weight_lift.gif. We have quite a few trees that are decaying and dieing right now on our property, and we are concerned about a few of em because they are pretty close to the house. We got lucky earlier with the massive march wind outbreak, because the trees that fell were away from the direction of the house. We might not get so lucky next time!

I lost a favorite tree during Opal...a beautiful dogwood that I specifically asked the builder to save when he graded the lot to build our house....bulider left it on a hill in the back yard....Opal got it before we moved into the house in November....fortunaltely my 3 favorite hardwoods in the front are still there....not sure what kind they are but they have acorns on them...and have lots of shade!

Got a question on tornados and their ratings. I was discussing this with some folks and wanted some opinions on it. Back on Mar 28th 1984 the tornado that hit this area was rated a F4 with winds exceeding 207 mph so does this mean that one could say based on the new scale that NC has been hit by a EF5 in the past or would we still refer to it as a F4?

Sorry to hear about the tree Lookout. There is a sweetgum of similar size up the road from me at Allatoona Pass Battlefield. Its an absolute monster and if I had to guess has plenty of bullets in it. The worst part of loosing a sweetgum is they are a monster pain in the butt to cut and split. Thats why the loggers spared them and we see huge ones. Im sure you know that living in the country though.

Here are some pics of the tree damage to the family room in my sis' house in Atlanta (Buckhead) from tstorm of three days ago (5/26/11). Most importantly, there were no injuries as there was nobody in that room at the time. It is hard to tell what kind of tree this is. It was so big that it also took down a second tree that didn't hit the house.

From inside:

post-882-0-41789500-1306674788.jpeg

From inside:

post-882-0-76792800-1306674840.jpeg

From outside:

post-882-0-79724900-1306674864.jpeg

Here are some pics of the tree damage to the family room in my sis' house in Atlanta (Buckhead) from tstorm of three days ago (5/26/11). Most importantly, there were no injuries as there was nobody in that room at the time. It is hard to tell what kind of tree this is. It was so big that it also took down a second tree that didn't hit the house.

Wow :yikes::( ..........................glad to hear nobody was hurt :thumbsup:

Wow :yikes::( ..........................glad to hear nobody was hurt :thumbsup:

Thanks, that's easily the most important thing. Hopefully they, especially my eight year old nephew, will be able to handle this down the road psychologically as this was a very scarey moment since that they were not too far away (near the front door) when the tree fell. I'm worried that they're going to have trouble handling thunderstorms, in general, in the future especially when they're at that house.

:arrowhead:

BREAKING NEWS... Summer has arrived, details at 6. :devilsmiley:

HAHA! That's old news... I broke that story Friday :weight_lift:

Seriously though, I'm hoping we don't hit 100 here in Columbus tomorrow... If we did, that would break the earlest we've ever touched the century mark by 5 days!

We've already tied or broken 6 high temeperatures with one more record low maximum temperature this month, with the possibility of breaking record highs today and tomorrow.... :arrowhead:

Time to get a tan! :sizzle:

Temp 87, heat index of 93 at 2 pm. Not much hope of rain with the high centered right over the App . chain both surface and aloft. And it looks like it will basically stay put for a very long time now, maybe easing west a little which allows a little bit of moisture and slightly lower height field into the Carolinas and part of GA and TN late week, but that still won't be much for most areas outside the mtns themselves. The GFS re-builds 594 height /heat dome in the exact same spot for basically 10 days, so we in the Southeast are in for mostly dry /hot times. Unfortunately the humidity will remain high, too bad we can't tap all that low level moisture thanks to the capped atmosphere, outside the few seabreeze storms and mtn. storms. Also the GFS has a few runs where it develops a trop. system in about 9 or 10 days..it would be nice to have the atmospheric flow setup in a way to slide it inland to the Southeast and stall out. Just seen the Euro and its just about the same, nothing but closed high sprawled out in the Southeast, so virtually zero hope of rain , except the isolated variety through 10 days. This makes me grateful to have got such a good start in April and May with the rains here, sorry that eastern Alabama , parts of GA and the CAE to RDU(except recent) and east areas missed out.

:( This pattern looks like a repeat of last summer unfortunately with more humidity involved.

I really hope it doesn't last long.

Generally the hotter it is, the less humid it is right ? I've always thought that humidity tended to keep temps from getting extremely hot (100+). The summer of 2007 was very hot, but it wasn't too humid. I really don't see how it could possibly be any more humid than last summer.

just got back from about a week at amelia island. returning from vacation sucks! looks like missed the best storm in years here the other night. of course - but the wx was great in florida. one day/evening with awesome lightning, otherwise upper 80s and a nice sea breeze.

looks like about 2" of rain fell in the storm

I think the heat would be a lot easier to handle if we were near a large body of water. It sucks being so far away from the ocean.

I totally disagree...the added low level moisture along the coastline can be IMO very dangerous if not deadly in the heart of summer....I've spent too many vacations as a young kid down on either the Grand Strand or in Charleston. When the humidity is at its highest, you literally cannot cool your body naturally through evaporation.

The sea breeze may limit the official numbers in terms of temperature but it's a moot point when the humidity is out of control. And if you ever get the rare situation where a high pressure forces the wind to west, then to me it's impossible to be outside. The worst I have ever witnessed was a Myrtle Beach trip in August, high pressure was centered just south which blocked the sea breeze from kicking in. The result was a 99/81 DP and a 129 heat index. Sitting on the beach that day, there was literally no breeze off the water...I was inside by noon.

I totally disagree...the added low level moisture along the coastline can be IMO very dangerous if not deadly in the heart of summer....I've spent too many vacations as a young kid down on either the Grand Strand or in Charleston. When the humidity is at its highest, you literally cannot cool your body naturally through evaporation.

The sea breeze may limit the official numbers in terms of temperature but it's a moot point when the humidity is out of control. And if you ever get the rare situation where a high pressure forces the wind to west, then to me it's impossible to be outside. The worst I have ever witnessed was a Myrtle Beach trip in August, high pressure was centered just south which blocked the sea breeze from kicking in. The result was a 99/81 DP and a 129 heat index. Sitting on the beach that day, there was literally no breeze off the water...I was inside by noon.

I guess I should have said it would be nice to live near the Pacific coast. Why can't the GOM and Atlantic oceans be as cool as the Pacific coast ?

Could not agree more about the humidity down here. This is now my 3rd summer living at the Grand Strand and it really gets ubareable at time. There will be many days from July through early September when the Td hovers between 75° and 80°. That's also the time the seabreeze starts to loose its cooling influence as the ocean temps warm. And YEA, those days with west winds are hard to take. Not to mention the many nights that we see lows only around 80°...no releif even from the dark.

On a side note...been a while since we've had a good rain here at the beach. Grass is getting mighty brown in many areas. I still find it wierd to see dry grass like that in an area with so much water just lying around. Hoping for some good sea breeze boomers soon.

I guess maybe I should be thankful that I don't live near the coast then. Although last summer really felt like it usually does on the coast. Humidity was the worst i've ever experienced. Constant dp's in the 70's without any relief. My sister who lives in North FL came here to visit and actually said it was hotter and more humid here last summer.

I personally like the hot and humid weather but given the fact that I have lived here inland my entire life, I do notice and enjoy the relative lack of humidity compared to those towns on the costal plain. Much like Jaydog said...the overnight's can be as bad as the daytime and once you get past mid-June, the contrast in air mass between ocean and land becomes less and less...

Its going to be close to a record here, with around 96. The WRF actually has pretty good Tstorm's firing this afternoon and again Wednesday evening in parts of the Carolinas and GA. The RUC has the foothills of NC getting it today. Both are probably overdone though, like yesterday. But the GFS does have rain chances in many of its panels starting late Wed. for the Carolinas and GA as the ridge weakens just slightly and retrogrades just a little which allows weak vorts to drop down the east side of it.

meh, I guess humidity doesnt bother me so much, I just go float in the water or find a pool. 9 times out of 10 its cooler here right at the beach than inland in the summer. I'll take my chances. Being around water increases your likelihood of finding something to cool off in. Beach life is an art form down this way...

Could not agree more about the humidity down here. This is now my 3rd summer living at the Grand Strand and it really gets ubareable at time. There will be many days from July through early September when the Td hovers between 75° and 80°. That's also the time the seabreeze starts to loose its cooling influence as the ocean temps warm. And YEA, those days with west winds are hard to take. Not to mention the many nights that we see lows only around 80°...no releif even from the dark.

On a side note...been a while since we've had a good rain here at the beach. Grass is getting mighty brown in many areas. I still find it wierd to see dry grass like that in an area with so much water just lying around. Hoping for some good sea breeze boomers soon.

I guess its all relative Jaydog, when you have been around this most of your life you just kinda get use to it and find creative ways of dealing with the "muggies"

Archived