Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Our first torch of 2011 April 11-12th

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Ray has any piles left in his backyard swamp. At Megan's place in N Chelmsford, she still had a decent pile in the back of her place.

I saw the last weenie patch of snow (non pile) melt last week in Wilmington. It was in a really protected area off of 93.

I saw the last weenie patch of snow (non pile) melt last week in Wilmington. It was in a really protected area off of 93.

There's a steep depression off the road about 1/2 miles from Megan's place when I'm driving back south toward Rt 3...and it had non-pile snow pack still in the woods yesterday, but it was barely holding on, I bet today will finish it off. But it was impressive to see that considering a lot of the big piles have already melted too. And the elevation there is like 150 feet.

My snowbanks and existing drifts are getting gashed this afternoon. It was a good winter, but it's over. Time for it all to go.

I'm going to make a snowball soon and put it in the freezer to save as a tribute to this winter. I probably have about a week to do it with the existing woods snow on the back of winter hill.

OMG hotdog.gif

This was a great winter but sort of went out on a sour note...Epic Dec/Jan however.

I would have been more pissed if we didn't get nearly 7" on Mar31-Apr 1....but it was definitely a lousy March. Getting nearly 5 feet of snow in 3 weeks will be the highlight of this winter for me though. It was during the heart of winter too...not in March or something where it would melt fairly quickly. Seeing the remnants of that snowpack still hanging on in the woods is a tribute to how great that period was.

I'm going to make a snowball soon and put it in the freezer to save as a tribute to this winter. I probably have about a week to do it with the existing woods snow on the back of winter hill.

LOL, I did that after the April '96 snow. I took it out in July, but it was a ball of ice when I took it out of the freezer due to the wet nature of the snow.

I would have been more pissed if we didn't get nearly 7" on Mar31-Apr 1....but it was definitely a lousy March. Getting nearly 5 feet of snow in 3 weeks will be the highlight of this winter for me though. It was during the heart of winter too...not in March or something where it would melt fairly quickly. Seeing the remnants of that snowpack still hanging on in the woods is a tribute to how great that period was.

Yeah that 3/31 Nor'easter was an epic disappointment down here, got my hopes up when the GFS/ECM came to conclude at 12z that NYC would see another significant snowfall, and then they backed off rapidly as the low never really developed the way it was originally supposed to. That third piece of energy hung back too much and acted as a kicker. We only had 3.75" snowfall all of March here, very disappointing after we saw less than 2" fall in March 2010. It's been a while since we've had a great late-season like 1996. To be honest, though, it was better to have the big snows during the heart of winter when we could maintain a big snowpack...it got to 25" here in my yard, pretty impressive for Westchester. Definitely the best winter of my lifetime here...95-96, 02-03, and 09-10 are just a bit behind, the one thing that was missing this year for me was a HECS, I had 3 MECS at 13", 14", and 14.5"...nothing really huge like the 2/25 Snowicane unfortunately.

I remember when I saved my first hailstones I ever saw before in the freezer. I think they sublimated to practically nothing a few months later. :(

Well sorry if folks don't believe me. I was in Westbrook and at 3:00 it was foggy and 56 when i left there. Hit sun about Cromwell. mid 60's in HFD and it got warmer and warmer as i headed NE on 84.. One of the few times it was warmer here than anywhere else. Dew into the upper 50;s

Oh I'm sure they believe you - they're just ribbing you because you tend to be the last to pick up on an obvious and blatant disappointing trend on anything that is failing, instead posting as though it were not actually failing? Like, when a snow storm is clearly winding down on radar prematurely, that's when one can count on Kevin posting: "Hours of heavy heavy snow to go, too".

Oh I'm sure they believe you - they're just ribbing you because you tend to be the last to pick up on an obvious and blatant disappointing trend on anything that is failing, instead posting as though it were not actually failing? Like, when a snow storm is clearly winding down on radar prematurely, that's when one can count on Kevin posting: "Hours of heavy heavy snow to go, too".

My favorite is when all models show snow over by 12z on Tuesday and Kevin posts "looks like snow all day Tuesday".

Man, some of those south coastal communities really got their rumps pumped by that cold ocean. I'm sitting here in Westborough at 77F, not 30 miles as the crow flies from PVD, which is stuck at 60. Westerly RI appear to have slipped into the upper 40s?

Archived