• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Tulip Trouncer Threat III - April Fool's Joke

Baroclinic Zone

At this point it's not as much an east/west shift that concerns me it's being able to develop a strong cold conveyorbelt as the mid level lows close and deepen. The models are jogging east a touch but they're also slower in wrapping the system up. For CT/SE NY/NYC that's a big deal and a huge problem... once you get to ORH/GAY it's not as much of a problem.

And those aren't my numbers that's just what the Euro tells me.

I agree.... we've seen this trend on the models since yesterday where it develops later.... as opposed to the runs the other day which had it deepening further south.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

about the 32F hang up ...

I've seen 6" fall in just 4 hours at 34F. It doesn't have to be ideal at the surface folks.

The models often don't cool the sfc enough anyway in these late season events. It will try and show it staying 34-35F but in reality when you have 1/8 +SN, it pretty much just goes to 32F pretty quickly.

We'll just have to agree to disagree you're making no sense to me.

I didn't understand that. He was essentially saying that NYC could get more snow than HFD - outside the heavier QPF and lift the temperatures were colder and there could be more snow farther SW? How is that possible in April unless it's a cf passage event? Don't get it.

I'd like the east movement to stop and maybe take a bit of a step back. I'm being greed. I admit it.

46.4/20.

Haha, me too. But its ok to be greedy this time of the year... never know when the next one will come along.

Plus, I'd really like to completely fill this creek bed behind our office at 1,500ft. Right now there's only 8 feet of snow on the right wall of the creek bed, it would look a lot better at 10 feet, haha.

IMG_4566_edited-2.jpg

This is what I was just arguing to DT on FB.

Obviously it's way too early to hand out congrats, but you never wavered, even when the GFS went to total crap. Heck, even Will was doubting it (who can blame him though.... everything lurched west yesterday.)

The models often don't cool the sfc enough anyway in these late season events. It will try and show it staying 34-35F but in reality when you have 1/8 +SN, it pretty much just goes to 32F pretty quickly.

I remember this in April 1996-- it was supposed to be around 33-34 and the heavy snow got it down to 31-32.

I didn't understand that. He was essentially saying that NYC could get more snow than HFD - outside the heavier QPF and lift the temperatures were colder and there could be more snow farther SW? How is that possible in April unless it's a cf passage event? Don't get it.

No I wasn't saying that NYC would get more snow than Hartford. I was just saying that you can't rip forecasts from eastern locales like CT and apply them to the same latitude in NJ or SE NY, since the 850 line has a sharp NE-SW orientation. For example Caldwell NJ (CDW) gets much more QPF as snow than White Plains NY (HPN) even though they are at the same latitude. Both do rip for a while though.

Obviously it's way too early to hand out congrats, but you never wavered, even when the GFS went to total crap. Heck, even Will was doubting it (who can blame him though.... everything lurched west yesterday.)

I was nervous, but I just stuck to the idea that these types of top-end winters don't end this quickly.

I had my last sig snowfall in 3rd week of Feb....I knew it couldn't be over, yet.

We'll see...not verified, yet.

Wow dude you're in full out troll mode. I made a coherent post that argued your point with facts and you reply with an incidental mis-statement which was obvious what I meant meaning that the NAO was becoming less negative to neutral which is a strong sign for an east coast storm.

Mods?

you blame me for your post that was an obvious weenie error? you can't be serious ..the irony is interesting considering the point I was making and you were responding to :D

Haha, me too. But its ok to be greedy this time of the year... never know when the next one will come along.

Plus, I'd really like to completely fill this creek bed behind our office at 1,500ft. Right now there's only 8 feet of snow on the right wall of the creek bed, it would look a lot better at 10 feet, haha.

Is that Pete hiding behind the trees?

No I wasn't saying that NYC would get more snow than Hartford. I was just saying that you can't rip forecasts from eastern locales like CT and apply them to the same latitude in NJ or SE NY, since the 850 line has a sharp NE-SW orientation. For example Caldwell NJ (CDW) gets much more QPF as snow than White Plains NY (HPN) even though they are at the same latitude. Both do rip for a while though.

I agree in principle with what you're saying but (as Im sure you realize), Hartford isn't in Coastal CT..... if you draw a latitudinal line straight east from the Bronx (for example) you'll end up somewhere on the North Shore of LI..... if you draw a line straight east from Peekskill, you'll be in Coastal Southern CT.

I was nervous, but I just stuck to the idea that these types of top-end winters don't end this quickly.

I had my last sig snowfall in 3rd week of Feb....I knew it couldn't be over, yet.

We'll see...not verified, yet.

My 80.1" will be knocking at you 89.5"'s backdoor after this

You might be getting 7"+ so I don't think I will catch you... but it might be close

I agree in principle with what you're saying but (as Im sure you realize), Hartford isn't in Coastal CT..... if you draw a latitudinal line straight east from the Bronx (for example) you'll end up somewhere on the North Shore of LI..... if you draw a line straight east from Peekskill, you'll be in Coastal Southern CT.

Yeah I don't think Hartford sees that much rain. I am just saying this storm could be a different story for someone in Middletown CT compared to someone in Peekskill NY (Westchester)....they're both at the same latitude but that surge of warmth at 850mb is really strong with the low centered south of CT.

I think with enough experience you can, and that is what you are missing....once you have been doing this for 15-20 years you know when the extrapolations make sense and then when there are warning flags not to..in general

Yeah I don't think Hartford sees that much rain. I am just saying this storm could be a different story for someone in Middletown CT compared to someone in Peekskill NY (Westchester)....they're both at the same latitude but that surge of warmth at 850mb is really strong with the low centered south of CT.

Dude we get it

Archived