wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March 22-23 OBS/Disco

nzucker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone lost their job last event, did anyone threaten to quit this time if someone saw 6 inches?

I believe earthlight and noreaster had a bet about 7-14......how much that guy ended up with idk.....reports seem like 5-6 out that way......we still have tonight also, so idk how the bet was worded. Also isotherms has a bet with zuckie that he will not see more then 3.5. I have 2.0 on the nose here....looks like the accumlating snow is over for now....light snow contiues.

Wow nice! You should make a foot between that and later today easily I would think.

I quite surprised by the overnight totals. I suspect areas in the 1000-1300' elevation range did and inch or two better. If part two produces 12" totals will verify though with compaction I highly doubt many will see 12" on the ground at any one point.

I believe earthlight and noreaster had a bet about 7-14......how much that guy ended up with idk.....reports seem like 5-6 out that way......we still have tonight also, so idk how the bet was worded. Also isotherms has a bet with zuckie that he will not see more then 3.5. I have 2.0 on the nose here....looks like the accumlating snow is over for now....light snow contiues.

Earthlight and Isotherm are in trouble with these bets.

Especially after tonights stuff.

Reports of 8-10 Inches in towns like far Rockaway, Lake Hopatcong. Can anybody confirm these totals? Preferably with a ruler lol?

Confirmed!!! 8.5 in Lake HOpatcong.

Amazing, it is right at 32. It must have really come down heavy earlier.

So, 8+ inches of snow and it is already falling off the cars naturally. Weird.

Earthlight and Isotherm are in trouble with these bets.

Especially after tonights stuff.

I thought it was longshot. But predicting snow in those high elevations are really tricky. I wouldn't bet against them.

I have a light mix of wet snow and rain falling now. Some coatings and dustings on the grass, car tops, roof tops, tree branches.

I thought it was longshot. But predicting snow in those high elevations are really tricky. I wouldn't bet against them.

I have a light mix of wet snow and rain falling now. Some coatings and dustings on the grass, car tops, roof tops, tree branches.

NYC 5 boroughs will have to wait until this evening and see if 6z nam and rgem verify with their cold and very wet coastal precip.

I'm posting the SREF maps below with the caveat that it is doing poorer than other guidance (6z NAM and RGEM, SPC WRF) on the ongoing overrunning snow this morning. In fact, it has less than an inch for the entire NYC area through 15z, with the exception of NE NJ where it has 1-2".

The main takeaway here from the SREF is that NW NJ, most of the lower Hudson Valley, all of southern CT, as well as the North Fork of LI are likely to receive warning criteria snow tonight. The SREF is likely a bit too warm on low-level temps so it's probably too low on snowfall on the southern fringe of the huge snowfall gradient it shows - i.e. Bergen County and Westchester County as well as much of LI away from the immediate South Shore.

Here's the SREF probability of reaching warning criteria (6"+ snow in a 12 hour period) for 9z tonight.

post-88-0-94226300-1300880725.gif

Here's the SREF mean snow accumulation.

post-88-0-04065300-1300880972.gif

That's an insane gradient. Pompton Plains is only 8 miles north of N. Caldwell, where a poster just reported 7".

Any idea of your elevation? The closest Weather Underground station (in Wayne, NJ) has an elevation of 56 feet. The closest station to N. Caldwell has an elevation of 369 ft.

Wow at some of those totals....so far I have less than an inch

Alex - how much snow do you have? Better take a measurement soon before melting starts :)

I think its a good sign that the confluence to our north is stronger than forecasted. We did well last night with similar conditions as temps dropped to 32. No reason why it should be different tonight.

That's an insane gradient. Pompton Plains is only 8 miles north of N. Caldwell, where a poster just reported 7".

Any idea of your elevation? The closest Weather Underground station (in Wayne, NJ) has an elevation of 56 feet. The closest station to N. Caldwell has an elevation of 369 ft.

I'm probably even closer to North Caldwell and at about 400'. It's insane.

Alex - how much snow do you have? Better take a measurement soon before melting starts :)

LOL I measured it at 7 AM but not going to report it since we dont know if this is it.... I had 0.7 inch as of then, but the snow had been over for an hour before that-- hopefully I didnt miss anything that melted.

Archived