wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March 22-23 OBS/Disco

nzucker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it does include what's falling now. My forecast for JFK reflects the fact that it's a mini heat island surrounded by jet exhaust where snow has a lot of trouble sticking. Your area, though only about 5 miles from JFK, is suburban and thus will likely see more than JFK - probably about 2-5". Out of curiosity, how much did you get in the April Fools 1997 storm? JFK had only 1.7" and LGA only 0.4".

About 2 inches so not that much-- we were in the dry screw zone with that storm, with more north and south of us. Here is a sampling of some of our late season events (that I remember lol.)

March 21, 1994 .... 4"

April 9-10, 1996 .... 5"

March 2001 .... 5"

April 7, 2003 .... 8"

April 4, 2006 .... 2"

Woke up to a nice surprise: snowing moderately with 1.8" of snow already on the ground, including even about an inch or so on the asphalt street in front of my house. Temps are about 32-33F according to the various Weatherbug stations around me (32.8F at my house). So we've already achieved our storm forecast, lol. Radar looks very healthy - I could see 3-4" if this rate holds up before the sun starts to do any damage, i.e., before about 8 am. Haven't read the thread to know if everyone else is seeing the same. Snowfall maps from the NWS don't look any different. Hmmmm.....

It looks like 4-7 when all over for the entire area on all surfaces with moderate to heavy snow from 6 PM till 3 AM, except the immediate coast with 3-5 on all surfaces. Temps will be 28-30 region wide from this evening on with NE winds. This should very confident at this point. Slop event during daylight today and full fledged snow storm this evening and tonight. I bet NE Queens, north Nassau and North shore Suffolk will get some 8" totals.

The flow is backing so it's got to. I'm not sure how the intensity will hold up though it's already become pretty spotty over north Jersey. that stuff back west in Central PA/southern tier NY looks beastly though..buffalo reported 1/8 mile vis

When does that get here?

Well, you can estimate just as well as I can I guess off the radar. i dont think any model has the timing nailed down with this stuff so I can't really go off that..Id guess by 8AM its in here

By the way. 7.5" at Scranton already!! they sat in that band. Wilkesbarre might have 2-3"

Wow, the Poconos might get a foot total out of this storm.

We have 5 inches in Blairstown already. The liquid equivalent is already twice what all the models showed.

Well, you can estimate just as well as I can I guess off the radar. i dont think any model has the timing nailed down with this stuff so I can't really go off that..Id guess by 8AM its in here

By the way. 7.5" at Scranton already!! they sat in that band. Wilkesbarre might have 2-3"

They just upgrade Warren and Morris Counties to Winter Storm Warnings.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

502 AM EDT WED MAR 23 2011

NJZ007-008-PAZ062-231700-

/O.UPG.KPHI.WW.Y.0017.000000T0000Z-110324T1000Z/

/O.EXA.KPHI.WS.W.0008.000000T0000Z-110324T1000Z/

WARREN-MORRIS-NORTHAMPTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...BETHLEHEM...

EASTON

502 AM EDT WED MAR 23 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EDT THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR SNOW AND SLEET...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM

EDT THURSDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHAMPTON COUNTY IN PENNSYLVANIA AND WARREN AND

MORRIS COUNTIES IN NEW JERSEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND SLEET...PERHAPS SOME RAIN MIXING IN AT

TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS...THE MORNING COMMUTE WILL BE DEGRADED BY SNOW AND SOME

SLEET. SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS WILL INCREASE THROUGH THIS

MORNING AND CONTINUE AT TIMES THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH

TONIGHT...BEFORE TAPERING OFF THURSDAY MORNING. SOME RAIN MAY

MIX AT TIMES WITH THE SNOW...ESPECIALLY DURING THE LATE MORNING

AND AFTERNOON. THE GREATEST IMPACTS WILL BE IN THE HIGHEST

ELEVATIONS...AS WELL AS ON UNTREATED AND SECONDARY ROADS.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES...

ESPECIALLY THIS MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...

SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO

POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

510 AM EDT WED MAR 23 2011

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 6 HOURS

FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED

TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS

AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR

HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/PHI

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW JERSEY

...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...

EDISON 1.7 505 AM 3/23

...MORRIS COUNTY...

ROCKAWAY 4.5 430 AM 3/23

LONG VALLEY 4.0 448 AM 3/23

STIRLING 1.0 413 AM 3/23

...WARREN COUNTY...

BLAIRSTOWN 5.0 500 AM 3/23

PENNSYLVANIA

...MONROE COUNTY...

TOBYHANNA 4.0 329 AM 3/23

Woke up to a nice surprise: snowing moderately with 1.8" of snow already on the ground, including even about an inch or so on the asphalt street in front of my house. Temps are about 32-33F according to the various Weatherbug stations around me (32.8F at my house). So we've already achieved our storm forecast, lol. Radar looks very healthy - I could see 3-4" if this rate holds up before the sun starts to do any damage, i.e., before about 8 am. Haven't read the thread to know if everyone else is seeing the same. Snowfall maps from the NWS don't look any different. Hmmmm.....

NWS just expanded the WSWarnings to Northampton, Warren and Morris counties, yet still not even a WWAdvisory for Middlesex, where I already have 2" and many folks sound like they're seeing similar amounts and given the radar, there's more on the way at least until sunrise. A friend just told me he has over an inch in West Windsor in southern Middlesex County. Traffic cams look like even 80/78 are a bit snow covered and I'm sure secondary roads are slick in most places. I think the NWS needs to wake up on this one.

Just took a nice long walk around Cook Campus. Some of the roadways were white, especially when the snow was coming down at its heaviest. The snow slowly went from heavy, to moderate, to light over the course of my walk. I didn't measure anything, but I don't see any grass blades...I'd say I probably have around 1.5" of snow on the grass or so...maybe a little more. Based on OBS, I'd guess I'd have slightly less than Edison and Metuchen anyway, so 1.5" or slightly more on the grass probably makes sense.

Certainly a nice surprise so far. The trees look great.

Archived