• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 22-23 OBS/Disco

nzucker

You'll go over to snow quickly as the echoes intensify. You and I are always much colder than JFK/NYC.

Precip type is a function of intensity.... as long as you get good rates it will snow. Temp dropped like 10 degrees in an hour.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

INTESITY is KEY, especially after sunup folks. I dont care what the colder NAM has

You think this might be like Jan 26-27? Strong early hit which was a surprise, then a lull in the middle when it mixes, then another strong hit tonight? Im wondering if we can get convective snow out of this -- lots of reports of thundersnow and thundersleet to our west.

You think this might be like Jan 26-27? Strong early hit which was a surprise, then a lull in the middle when it mixes, then another strong hit tonight? Im wondering if we can get convective snow out of this -- lots of reports of thundersnow and thundersleet to our west.

it's possible. the air mass to our W is very unstable. If that runs into our area, we could see TSSN

The early precip. start makes this a very tricky forecast. I still think temps will warm enough once the initial precip. band moves past to change to a light rain/snow mix or non-accumulating snow in most of NYC and the South Shore of Nassau and western Suffolk.

Then the main show associated with the coastal low arrives between 5 and 8PM tonight from west to east and exits between 2 and 5AM. Most of this should be snow, but areas like JFK and EWR will likely see a mix with sleet or rain for a few hours at the beginning.

Here are my forecast accumulations:

BDR: 4-7"

HVN: 3-6"

GON: 3-6"

DXR: 5-8"

MMK: 4-8"

EWR: 1-3"

TEB: 3-5"

West Milford, NJ: 6-9"

SWF: 6-9"

HPN: 4-7"

NYC: 1-3"

LGA: 1-3"

JFK: 0-2"

FRG: 2-4"

ISP: 2-4"

FOK: 3-5"

OKX: 3-6"

Port Jefferson, NY: 3-6"

Orient Point, NY: 4-7"

The early precip. start makes this a very tricky forecast. I still think temps will warm enough once the initial precip. band moves past to change to a light rain/snow mix or non-accumulating snow in most of NYC and the South Shore of Nassau and western Suffolk.

Then the main show associated with the coastal low arrives between 5 and 8PM tonight from west to east and exits between 2 and 5AM. Most of this should be snow, but areas like JFK and EWR will likely see a mix with sleet or rain for a few hours at the beginning.

Here are my forecast accumulations:

BDR: 4-7"

HVN: 3-6"

GON: 3-6"

DXR: 5-8"

MMK: 4-8"

EWR: 1-3"

TEB: 3-5"

West Milford, NJ: 6-9"

SWF: 6-9"

HPN: 4-7"

NYC: 1-3"

LGA: 1-3"

JFK: 0-2"

FRG: 2-4"

ISP: 2-4"

FOK: 3-5"

OKX: 3-6"

Port Jefferson, NY: 3-6"

Orient Point, NY: 4-7"

This really does sound somewhat like Jan 26-27. Im hoping any mix with that second band doesnt last more than two hours like last time and the high snowfall rates make up for it.

It's been ripping here for the past half hour or so! Grass is covered, cars are white, and the parking lots are starting to get slushy. This is awesome!!!

33/32 here.

New Brunswick? Nice...drove through the area about 45 mins ago and it was just changing to snow it seemed. grass coverings started once I got to Peapack/Gladstone on 206..

Yes, it does have some similarities - I am expecting the main show to be tonight, with at least 2/3 of the QPF from the entire storm falling between 5PM Wed and 7AM Thu.

This system isn't as dynamic as 1/26-27, but thundersnow isn't out of the question given the elevated instability and ongoing convection to our west. However, unlike 1/26-27, I don't expect snowfall rates more than 1" per hour in NYC and most of LI. For NYC/LI, tonight could be one of those situations where 0.10 to 0.15" of liquid per hour is falling but visibility is only around 1 mile and only about 1/2" per hour of snow accumulates.

I could see >1" per hour for a few hours where the best snow growth will be - in elevated areas from around Passaic County through lower Hudson Valley into interior SW CT, and perhaps extending to the North Fork of LI.

Nice!! :weenie:

mcd0254.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0254

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0232 AM CDT WED MAR 23 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...WRN NY/N CENTRAL AND ERN PA/NRN NJ

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 230732Z - 231130Z

WIDESPREAD SNOWFALL RATES OF ONE INCH PER HOUR -- AND LOCALLY

NEARING OR EXCEEDING TWO INCHES PER HOUR AT TIMES -- CAN BE EXPECTED

OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS ACROSS THE DISCUSSION AREA.

LOW-LEVEL WARM ADVECTION CONTINUES TO INCREASE ACROSS THE CENTRAL

APPALACHIANS/LOWER GREAT LAKES/UPPER OH VALLEY REGION ATTM...AS SWLY

LOW-LEVEL JET TRANSLATES EWD INTO THE AREA. A STEADY BAND OF HEAVY

SNOW CONTINUES TO SET UP FROM SRN ONTARIO ESEWD INTO NRN NJ...AND

WILL LIKELY REMAIN IN PLACE OVER THESE AREAS OVER THE NEXT FEW

HOURS.

WHILE WARMING FROM THE WEST SHOULD ALLOW A TRANSITION TO FREEZING

RAIN -- AND THEN TO RAIN -- ALONG AND W OF THE WRN PERIPHERY OF THE

DISCUSSION AREA...A BELOW-FREEZING ATMOSPHERIC COLUMN COMBINED WITH

VERY STRONG ASCENT WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT A BAND OF HEAVY SNOW

THROUGH THE EARLY MORNING AND INTO DAYBREAK.

..GOSS.. 03/23/2011

ATTN...WFO...OKX...PHI...BGM...BUF...CTP...

LAT...LON 41517766 42057919 42607992 43297936 43307885 42067580

41087403 40497422 40517497 40597581 41517766

Nice!! :weenie:

mcd0254.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0254

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0232 AM CDT WED MAR 23 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...WRN NY/N CENTRAL AND ERN PA/NRN NJ

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 230732Z - 231130Z

WIDESPREAD SNOWFALL RATES OF ONE INCH PER HOUR -- AND LOCALLY

NEARING OR EXCEEDING TWO INCHES PER HOUR AT TIMES -- CAN BE EXPECTED

OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS ACROSS THE DISCUSSION AREA.

LOW-LEVEL WARM ADVECTION CONTINUES TO INCREASE ACROSS THE CENTRAL

APPALACHIANS/LOWER GREAT LAKES/UPPER OH VALLEY REGION ATTM...AS SWLY

LOW-LEVEL JET TRANSLATES EWD INTO THE AREA. A STEADY BAND OF HEAVY

SNOW CONTINUES TO SET UP FROM SRN ONTARIO ESEWD INTO NRN NJ...AND

WILL LIKELY REMAIN IN PLACE OVER THESE AREAS OVER THE NEXT FEW

HOURS.

WHILE WARMING FROM THE WEST SHOULD ALLOW A TRANSITION TO FREEZING

RAIN -- AND THEN TO RAIN -- ALONG AND W OF THE WRN PERIPHERY OF THE

DISCUSSION AREA...A BELOW-FREEZING ATMOSPHERIC COLUMN COMBINED WITH

VERY STRONG ASCENT WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT A BAND OF HEAVY SNOW

THROUGH THE EARLY MORNING AND INTO DAYBREAK.

..GOSS.. 03/23/2011

ATTN...WFO...OKX...PHI...BGM...BUF...CTP...

LAT...LON 41517766 42057919 42607992 43297936 43307885 42067580

41087403 40497422 40517497 40597581 41517766

looka good. it is ripping here in NW NJ now. Cant think that MD is wrong

Yes, it does have some similarities - I am expecting the main show to be tonight, with at least 2/3 of the QPF from the entire storm falling between 5PM Wed and 7AM Thu.

This system isn't as dynamic as 1/26-27, but thundersnow isn't out of the question given the elevated instability and ongoing convection to our west. However, unlike 1/26-27, I don't expect snowfall rates more than 1" per hour in NYC and most of LI. For NYC/LI, tonight could be one of those situations where 0.10 to 0.15" of liquid per hour is falling but visibility is only around 1 mile and only about 1/2" per hour of snow accumulates.

I could see >1" per hour for a few hours where the best snow growth will be - in elevated areas from around Passaic County through lower Hudson Valley into interior SW CT, and perhaps extending to the North Fork of LI.

This indeed.

Archived