Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Another winter storm March 28-30?

Hoosier

No, I just saw the NARR for that one. :yikes:

I'll take a wetter 2/22/2010 or 12/19/2008 please.

IIRC, there was a gradient across the Detroit metro area. Northern suburbs did well, but the city itself and south was mostly mixed precip. Although, I noticed Windsor picked up 8" of snow/sleet so maybe it wasn't as bad for you guys as I thought.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC, there was a gradient across the Detroit metro area. Northern suburbs did well, but the city itself and south was mostly mixed precip. Although, I noticed Windsor picked up 8" of snow/sleet so maybe it wasn't as bad for you guys as I thought.

Amounts were 10"+ (with some sleet) from personal recollection 2 miles north of Detroit...DTW had 6" of snow/sleet and FRZR.

Looking good, but the one negative I see is the timing. It is bringing the precip into eastern Iowa during the afternoon hours.

Yeah I remember back in the April '97 storm that we had heavy snow falling much of the day. The official total (around 10-11" IIRC) was almost twice what actually accumulated on the ground due to compaction/melting. Of course temps were marginal, and the snow was VERY wet too. At this point I'm way more concerned about the track than anything. We've seen several snow systems advertised around this time frame go on to vanish into non-events for this area over the last 7+ weeks. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I wouldn't worry about that too much, considering how nicely the GFS amped up. If it was tamer, it'd be a nice hit here too like the 18Z GFS for example....but I'm liking the set-up overall.

Well we usually don't do well with lows that eject out of ok/Tex panhandle because of the amplification and NW trends.

Yeah I remember back in the April '97 storm that we had heavy snow falling much of the day. The official total (around 10-11" IIRC) was almost twice what actually accumulated on the ground due to compaction/melting. Of course temps were marginal, and the snow was VERY wet too. At this point I'm way more concerned about the track than anything. We've seen several snow systems advertised around this time frame go on to vanish into non-events for this area over the last 7+ weeks. I guess we'll see how it goes.

One thing this one might have going for it is that it has been unseasonably cold the past few day and will be the next few days..

Yeah I remember back in the April '97 storm that we had heavy snow falling much of the day. The official total (around 10-11" IIRC) was almost twice what actually accumulated on the ground due to compaction/melting. Of course temps were marginal, and the snow was VERY wet too. At this point I'm way more concerned about the track than anything. We've seen several snow systems advertised around this time frame go on to vanish into non-events for this area over the 7+ weeks. I guess we'll see how it goes.

had to go and figure out what office it was who was throwing out ratios already but DVN was already saying 15:1 ratios, I dont know about that, we'll see, although 850mb temps stay a good deal below freezing.

had to go and figure out what office it was who was throwing out ratios already but DVN was already saying 15:1 ratios, I dont know about that, we'll see, although 850mb temps stay a good deal below freezing.

Yeah it does look like the mid level temps will be seasonally cold, which could bode well for accumulations. It's just a bit hard for me to get too excited about things though given the horrible job by the models lately. Just a few days ago the GEM was forecasting several inches of snow for us for earlier today. It was completely sunny all day today LMFAO!

Yeah, too close for comfort for my taste.

Archived