Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Another winter storm March 28-30?

Hoosier

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow/weekend storm look like they'll have plenty of arctic air to work with, but by the time this storm rolls around, the airmass is going to be a bit stale. That, and the fact that'll be almost April, makes me think thermal issues will be bigger than with the first two.

Maybe, but let me enjoy this run

f174.gif

lol, I love this..I just have the feeling I am going to see my latest good accumulating snowfall since 1997 April 10th.

From the NWS:

1997: A spring snowstorm caught many residents of central, northeast and east central Missouri by surprise when 2 to 4 inches of snow fell from central to northeast Missouri while a band of 4 to 6 inches fell across east central Missouri. The snow cancelled many outdoor activities, including the St. Louis Cardinals baseball game. It was the first time since April 17, 1983 that a Cardinals home game was snowed out.

I was 15 then. I remember it started snowing early in the AM and we had 5-6 inches by 10-11am and it stopped and all melted by evening!

then there is this:

1890: Between the 30th and 31st, 20.4 inches of snow fell at St. Louis. This was the single greatest 24-hour snowfall total on record for this location.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1997/us0410.php

this was the UL's that day, as you can all see the mid level temps were barely cold enough.

either way, that worked for snow here. And that looks pretty damn similar to what is coming.

mostly we just need cold air, it doesn't matter how strong the sun is if its cold enough to snow...maybe it wont stick well but that is irrelevant to it snowing at all.

It is hard to believe it was April 10th looking at those 850s.

barely below zero and we had near half a foot that morning!

lol, I love this..I just have the feeling I am going to see my latest good accumulating snowfall since 1997 April 10th.

Yeah I remember that April '97 storm. We officially had over 10" of snow from the storm, but it never accumulated more than 5-6" on the ground due to melting/compaction.

It would be interesting to see you guys get a big snow after several 70 and 80 degree days already this spring.

Yeah I remember that April '97 storm. We officially had over 10" of snow from the storm, but it never accumulated more than 5-6" on the ground due to melting/compaction.

It would be interesting to see you guys get a big snow after several 70 and 80 degree days already this spring.

thanks.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1994/us0405.php

they say my area had ice and sleet with that.

well clearly the low level temps were very cold coming in with that front.

while the timing really is key. March 28th to 30th can easily provide the right conditions for heavy snow in the air at least.

Pretty big difference from the 0z wrt the storm. Gets flattened like a pancake.

Yes,

12_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_120.jpg

12_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_144.jpg

Look at the 500/1000mb thickness holy crap. I know we can get snow this time of yer with 546 or so because the collumn is can be cooled from dynamics and evaporational cooling.

but when thickness are wide spread under 534. that is crazy!

Archived