joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV : (Not During Storms) OBS Discussion/Banter Thread

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://forecast.weat...d2=-75.4389&e=0

Looks like they have snow (and rain) in the forecast for late this afternoon. :whistle:

yet, they changed their forecast for tonight to eliminate any mention of snow...which is silly, considering there's a better chance of snow tonight..

Tonight: Rain. Low around 36. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

yet, they changed their forecast for tonight to eliminate any mention of snow...which is silly, considering there's a better chance of snow tonight..

Not sure why the snow was removed tonight for your area. Soundings support it and from your post, that is indeed what is occurring. I had up to an inch for the higher elevations of the Poconos tonight in the early morning forecast issuance. Our forecast updates are done every 3 hours, so feel free to send in a report to the office. Not sure if Tony is there this evening checking this forum.

Not sure why the snow was removed tonight for your area. Soundings support it and from your post, that is indeed what is occurring. I had up to an inch for the higher elevations of the Poconos tonight in the early morning forecast issuance. Our forecast updates are done every 3 hours, so feel free to send in a report to the office. Not sure if Tony is there this evening checking this forum.

I noticed that.

Hats off to you for that forecast...because 24 hours ago, I never expected this myself.

I noticed that.

Hats off to you for that forecast...because 24 hours ago, I never expected this myself.

Thanks, although the snow/rain came in faster than I was thinking. I should have known though given the strengthening WAA. Enjoy your snow. ;)

Not to bad...KMPO 061958Z AUTO 24004KT 3/4SM -SN BR OVC003 01/01 A2989 RMK AO2 CIG 002V007 P0001

Wow....it just doesn't want to end. :lightning:

Today: Rain, possibly mixed with snow, mainly after 11am. High near 45. Calm wind becoming east between 4 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight: Rain, possibly mixed with snow before 10pm, then a chance of rain between 10pm and 2am, then a chance of drizzle and snow after 2am. Low around 33. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

I'm scheduled to play tennis in Collegeville at 6 PM on Monday. Given the track record when I play this guy from past years, Expect a squall line to rip through Montgomery County by 6:30 PM. It seems we always hope the storms will slide to our north or south, so we decide not to cancel, but then we get blasted around 30 minutes into the match.

I'm scheduled to play tennis in Collegeville at 6 PM on Monday. Given the track record when I play this guy from past years, Expect a squall line to rip through Montgomery County by 6:30 PM. It seems we always hope the storms will slide to our north or south, so we decide not to cancel, but then we get blasted around 30 minutes into the match.

Could almost say you wanna bet on that?

the radar must be picking up on melting snow flakes in the atmosphere with the high reflectivities but rainfall not supporting this. Also is causing the total precip to be to high.

yep ... saw some "splashers" on the windshield around 7pm at 40 degrees. Good call

the radar must be picking up on melting snow flakes in the atmosphere with the high reflectivities but rainfall not supporting this. Also is causing the total precip to be to high.

Yup, major bright banding going on throughout the day today. Check out some of the higher tilts... took a screenshot of the 4.3° scan which clearly shows the "ring".

40353024.png

Large, watery snowflakes making the higher reflectivity show up between 3,000 and 5,000 feet. Here's a cross section...

gfdgd.png

Going to be a close call for the record on Monday

April Daily Records for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (Avoca), PA

Period of Record: 1955-Present

MAX TEMPS         	MIN TEMPS     	PRECIPITATION  SNOWFALL
DAY HI YEAR   LO YEAR   HI YEAR    LO YEAR   MAX  YEAR    MAX  YEAR

11  79 (1955) 38 (1958) 50 (1981) 22 (1989) 0.64 (1958)  1.0 (1986)

KAVP   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE   4/09/2011  1200 UTC                       
FHR  24  36| 48  60| 72  84| 96 108|120 132|144 156|168 180|192      
     SUN 10| MON 11| TUE 12| WED 13| THU 14| FRI 15| SAT 16|SUN CLIMO
N/X  41  61| 54  80| 51  61| 35  67| 38  64| 40  65| 44  62| 40 34 56

Archived