• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV : (Not During Storms) OBS Discussion/Banter Thread

I didn't say he pissed me off. If that is how its coming across, then I apologize. I'm just saying that when your ob says one thing, and everything around you suggests something else, *all the time*, then maybe your ob is not quite correct.

Fair enough. Enjoy the holiday. I'm expecting 90+ again here today with a current temperature at 78 just before 9am.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough. Enjoy the holiday. I'm expecting 90+ again here today with a current temperature at 78 just before 9am.

To be fair, thank you Parsley for your defense. Yes Ray it has been dryer around here by evidence of cracks in the clay soils in my yard. I am assuming weather observations are taken in the Borough of Macungie. I live closer to Mertztown than Macungie but my mailing address is Macungie. If you did not know, the Macungie zip code extends all the way to Bear Creek Ski resort, so there can be a wide range of temperatures and precipitation under the Macungie zipcode, mainly because of elevation. I have seen many winter days where it has snowed at Bear Creek and rained here at my house. Living near near farm fields and in a flatter area with more urbanization surrounding us (by the way, I live in the fastest growing municipality in Pa), my temps seem to reflect observations closer to Reading more than Allentown or even Macungie observations. Yes, granted my thermometer maybe a degree off but like Parsley stated - I am not the weather service. All I am reiterating is the fact that it is been hot and dry in our area, including down into Montgomery County and eastern Berks County For the umpteenth time this year, storms have gone to the east and north of us. I have had only one good rain event in over a month and half and that has been only slightly over an inch. Most observation areas surrounding us are wet, thus the cooler temps. Again thanks Parsley for your help

To be fair, thank you Parsley for your defense. Yes Ray it has been dryer around here by evidence of cracks in the clay soils in my yard. I am assuming weather observations are taken in the Borough of Macungie. I live closer to Mertztown than Macungie but my mailing address is Macungie. If you did not know, the Macungie zip code extends all the way to Bear Creek Ski resort, so there can be a wide range of temperatures and precipitation under the Macungie zipcode, mainly because of elevation. I have seen many winter days where it has snowed at Bear Creek and rained here at my house. Living near near farm fields and in a flatter area with more urbanization surrounding us (by the way, I live in the fastest growing municipality in Pa), my temps seem to reflect observations closer to Reading more than Allentown or even Macungie observations. Yes, granted my thermometer maybe a degree off but like Parsley stated - I am not the weather service. All I am reiterating is the fact that it is been hot and dry in our area, including down into Montgomery County and eastern Berks County For the umpteenth time this year, storms have gone to the east and north of us. I have had only one good rain event in over a month and half and that has been only slightly over an inch. Most observation areas surrounding us are wet, thus the cooler temps. Again thanks Parsley for your help

+1.

Its all about microclimates. Especially in the summer when most rain is hit and miss in nature.

Have a good 4th!

I know its late replying to this, funny you should say that. My daughter drove through there late yesterday afternoon and asked me if they did get a tornado. Corn was flattened. I wonder if that was the same part of the storm that dropped hail in Bethlehem and moved east into P'burg. I'm about 8-10 miles north of there and just received some minor wind damage and 1.28" of rain.

I saw a tree that looked like it was snapped in two different directions at the top and bottom, signs twisted and fallen, and one telephone pole dropped.

Yes, granted my thermometer maybe a degree off

I would suggest its 3-5 degrees off, at least during the day.

All I am reiterating is the fact that it is been hot and dry in our area, including down into Montgomery County and eastern Berks County For the umpteenth time this year, storms have gone to the east and north of us. I have had only one good rain event in over a month and half and that has been only slightly over an inch. Most observation areas surrounding us are wet, thus the cooler temps. Again thanks Parsley for your help

No disputing its been dry. PTW only recorded an inch of rain in June. That was on par with June 2010 back home and I saw what that resulted in by month's end.

That being said, its unlikely that the difference would result in more than 1-3 degrees difference.

Here are the reported coordinates for the other Macungie site. How close is that to you?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.54099,-75.57580%28D6615%20-%20%20DW6615%20Macungie%20%29&t=p

Can't you just ignore him if it pisses you off so much? It doesn't bother me. Let him report or state what he wants. Its not like this thread is sent to NWS for official record keeping.

Actually a lot of times Mike and Tony do use obs from in here, they've done it with me multiple times. So being wrong again and again with your obs multiple times, isn't a good thing.

Also to add a more soils approach to this. Just because your soil is cracked doesn't mean its drought or bone dry. Some soils drain faster than others. Locations and different type of soil affect it also. For instance, we have a a natural grass area that we stripped down to soil and seeded over, its gets cooked all day. The soil is straight clay with rocks and everything in it. We would get 2 inches of rain and 3 days later it would have cracks in it, do to the amount of sunlight it gets. That does not mean its dry nor its a drought when the other areas are moist surrounding it. Look at new jersey, they have a sandy soil. Their soil does not hold water at all do to the amount of pore space. Droughts and dryness are calculated by the ground table and water level of resvoirs not soil cracks.

Actually a lot of times Mike and Tony do use obs from in here, they've done it with me multiple times. So being wrong again and again with your obs multiple times, isn't a good thing.

And I'm sure Mike and Tony are good mets and are smart enough to know if an ob is incorrect, so what is your point?

Also to add a more soils approach to this. Just because your soil is cracked doesn't mean its drought or bone dry. Some soils drain faster than others. Locations and different type of soil affect it also. For instance, we have a a natural grass area that we stripped down to soil and seeded over, its gets cooked all day. The soil is straight clay with rocks and everything in it. We would get 2 inches of rain and 3 days later it would have cracks in it, do to the amount of sunlight it gets. That does not mean its dry nor its a drought when the other areas are moist surrounding it. Look at new jersey, they have a sandy soil. Their soil does not hold water at all do to the amount of pore space. Droughts and dryness are calculated by the ground table and water level of resvoirs not soil cracks.

SOUTH Jersey has a sandy soil, not North Jersey.

And I'm sure Mike and Tony are good mets and are smart enough to know if an ob is incorrect, so what is your point?

Well, it saves time if we know the obs/reports are correct. If we have to spend lots of time to figure out if they are correct and this is occurring more with certain obs/reports, then we would lean away from using them.

So posting incorrect obs constantly is a good thing? :lmao: And yes, they have nothing better to do then double and triple check the obs to make sure they are correct. In the end this doesn't affect me, it only affects Grothar. There's a lot of people that inflate totals on this board, not saying Grothar is doing it, but being wrong more often than not, isn't good either. None of this was meant to be malicious either, was just informing him of obs around him.

Nobody is making THAT big of a deal about it. It obviously is a big deal to you since you came into another area subforum to tell us it's not a big deal.

NWS has had far worse in the past, that's all I'm saying. This thread isn't a direct NWS obs thread. It's an IMBY thread. Obviously, everyone in it will not have perfect equipment. NWS has had people calling in false observations of tornadoes and hail INTENTIONALLY. People like that should be prosecuted.

Tombo, yes I do understand that cracks in the soil do not necessarily mean a drought. That is why I did not mention drought in my post. I worked with the Dept of Natural Resources and I am a certified wetland delineator. To calm Ray and Smokeater, I will have my thermometers moved to a different location in my yard. It was 90 degrees again today and Mertztown observation station appears to be closer to my observation readings. Thanks Ray for providing this information. Mike Gorse, I hope this thread does not burn any further for your sake. I must repeat, I am an official spotter but I do not normally supply daily temp observations to Mt. Holly. They have enough on their hands already.

Tombo, yes I do understand that cracks in the soil do not necessarily mean a drought. That is why I did not mention drought in my post. I worked with the Dept of Natural Resources and I am a certified wetland delineator. To calm Ray and Smokeater, I will have my thermometers moved to a different location in my yard. It was 90 degrees again today and Mertztown observation station appears to be closer to my observation readings. Thanks Ray for providing this information. Mike Gorse, I hope this thread does not burn any further for your sake. I must repeat, I am an official spotter but I do not normally supply daily temp observations to Mt. Holly. They have enough on their hands already.

this is how threads get when your outside of winter and snow lol, things are boring.

Archived