Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV : (Not During Storms) OBS Discussion/Banter Thread

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine took this down in Delaware this morning and was wondering what kind of cloud this was. He thought it was some type of funnel. Anyone know? Thanks!

I highly doubt it was a funnel. Sometimes a dying rain shower can have odd-looking cloud formations when the the last bits of moisture are condensed out, i don't really know though

Mike Gorse- How can Mt. Holly issue 70 to 80% chances of t storms today when less than 25% of the area has had any amount of precip? At 70-80%, one would at least expect some training thunderstorms. This is like the third time in the past couple of weeks this has happened to the forecast. I am not one to nick pick but the forecast is not a little off but way off. Is it because the short waves are dying before reaching our area? The fall line separated the severe weather today and portions of the eastern LV are just in a severe dry and heat patch. That is why the temps forecasted are way off too because I was in the lower to mid 90's again and I know my thermometer is not broken. Thanks for the explanation.

Mike Gorse- How can Mt. Holly issue 70 to 80% chances of t storms today when less than 25% of the area has had any amount of precip? At 70-80%, one would at least expect some training thunderstorms. This is like the third time in the past couple of weeks this has happened to the forecast. I am not one to nick pick but the forecast is not a little off but way off. Is it because the short waves are dying before reaching our area? The fall line separated the severe weather today and portions of the eastern LV are just in a severe dry and heat patch. That is why the temps forecasted are way off too because I was in the lower to mid 90's again and I know my thermometer is not broken. Thanks for the explanation.

I think it was a bit more than 25%, unless you are only looking at the Lehigh Valley itself.

post-39-0-57224800-1308779706.png

I think it was a bit more than 25%, unless you are only looking at the Lehigh Valley itself.

Sorry Ray, but I absolutely disagree with this radar shot. Most of the precip shown on that radar shot did not even make it to the ground. This has been desert type precip pattern with much of the precip being held aloft. The proof is in the pudding with the other observers indicating small amounts of rainfall in their gauges this afternoon and temps in the 90's. Again, Is this La Nina pattern rearing its ugly head and is it because Mt. Holly is not accustom to this type of precip pattern?

Sorry Ray, but I absolutely disagree with this radar shot. Most of the precip shown on that radar shot did not even make it to the ground. This has been desert type precip pattern with much of the precip being held aloft. The proof is in the pudding with the other observers indicating small amounts of rainfall in their gauges this afternoon and temps in the 90's. Again, Is this La Nina pattern rearing its ugly head and is it because Mt. Holly is not accustom to this type of precip pattern?

Mike Gorse- How can Mt. Holly issue 70 to 80% chances of t storms today when less than 25% of the area has had any amount of precip?

Because 70-80% chance of thunderstorms has nothing to do with the areal coverage of precipitation? You can't verify probabilities from a single event.

I'm in the shading for T to 0.3" and got 0.15" today...seems accurate for me.

Maybe they weren't heavy-duty thunderstorms but I know I watched all of Bucks County, almost all over Chester County, and basically every part of NJ get rain today (except far southern NJ)

dude I don't know if you need to move to Florida to be happy or what but stop complaining and don't bash the Mount Holly crew

Jesus, it's either mega flood, or mega drought, there's no in between with you. Just because it didn't rain in your backyard, doesn't mean Mt. Holly was wrong. You also said you've been in the 90's the last 4 days, and then Ray posted the obs around you, and not one location around you even hit 90 in the last 4 days. Come on man.

I'm in the shading for T to 0.3" and got 0.15" today...seems accurate for me.

Maybe they weren't heavy-duty thunderstorms but I know I watched all of Bucks County, almost all over Chester County, and basically every part of NJ get rain today (except far southern NJ)

dude I don't know if you need to move to Florida to be happy or what but stop complaining and don't bash the Mount Holly crew

Maybe you need to read my post again, it was a simple question and not bashing. I know that Mt. Holly has the ability for forecast accuracy which is impeccable. I am a trained spotter, have a BS degree in physical geography, previous FAA licensed air traffic controller and lived in the Lehigh Valley for 20 years. I have no desire to live in Florida. My question to you sir is how can you be in all of those places at one time this afternoon for your observations?

Jesus, it's either mega flood, or mega drought, there's no in between with you. Just because it didn't rain in your backyard, doesn't mean Mt. Holly was wrong. You also said you've been in the 90's the last 4 days, and then Ray posted the obs around you, and not one location around you even hit 90 in the last 4 days. Come on man.

I did not mention a drought. Where did you come up with flooding? Frankly, I do not give a rats rear end about temp observations around me- just my own area. My thermometers say over 90 degrees, then it is. You must remember that if it is raining everywhere like some are saying, then of course the temps will be lower at the adjacent observation stations

I cross-checked all the ASOS's in the area and the radar estimate is fairly close to ground-truth. Yes, the Lehigh Valley was a desert today, but the radar shows that. There were definitely plenty of storms elsewhere.

I did not mention a drought. Where did you come up with flooding? Frankly, I do not give a rats rear end about temp observations around me- just my own area. My thermometers say over 90 degrees, then it is. You must remember that if it is raining everywhere like some are saying, then of course the temps will be lower at the adjacent observation stations

You really can't make that determination. The thermometer could be malfunctioning or the siting could be influencing it. You should investigate the siting and do a cross check with another instrument.

For what its worth, I've hit 90 or 91 the past few days....I'm in a location that had received less than 1.5" of rain in the past 30 days (today I got almost 1/2" inch).

I have several digital therometers and sensors in different parts of the yard, so I think some spots sneaking up to 90 or 91 is legit.Trust me, I'm not one to hype my numbers be it temperatures or snow totals.

Checking the MesoWest data other locations that hit 90 or higher in the area were:

-Macungie (as stated above)

-Phoenixville

-Lafayette Hill

The location closest to my house (DW1310) hit 89, I had 90.3.......so very believable.

Highs around 90 today are certainly believable.

Checking the MesoWest data other locations that hit 90 or higher in the area were:

-Macungie (as stated above)

-Phoenixville

-Lafayette Hill

The location closest to my house (DW1310) hit 89, I had 90.3.......so very believable.

I don't think anyone is discrediting 90 today...even I hit 89.1 before a little bit of rain. It's the past 3 days, which were much cooler, that causes some doubt to arise

Well, PTW had 88 yesterday and 89 today, I think spots in the area flirted with 90 both days. With that said, NWS forecasts in the mid to upper 80s were accurate.

Thanks to all of you. I finally brought the board alive tonight with my controversial posts. I thought I was never going see a post again tonight in this region. Posts were going longer than 6-8 hours between posts. Thanks Ray for your determination to find the true temps for our area.

I cross-checked all the ASOS's in the area and the radar estimate is fairly close to ground-truth. Yes, the Lehigh Valley was a desert today, but the radar shows that. There were definitely plenty of storms elsewhere.

To be fair, OKX also had very high POPs and coverage in our area was lower.

Archived