Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Reactor meltdown possible in Japan.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't really blame the workers for finally leaving, they have done a heroic job just staying that long in the first place.

Sorta get the feeling they are battling against something that is unwinnable right now.

I think the translation may have been bad. It sounded more to me like they had to pull them BACK but not out. IE they cannot go figure out what's happening because protocol says the radiation is way too high near the reactors.

I think they pulled back to a safe location but haven't left the area?

apparently the 50 are no longer there???

I agree....this could become a global response gig.....

just heard him state they are preparing water pumping.......which would require a crew on the site.....so perhaps the 50 are still there and rotating time in the control room????

CNN has new alert govt official....workers have suspended operations

geez info coming form there is a mess.....

Chernobyl required some deaths to get it under control. Same may have to happen here, unfortunately.

You can't force help on people. If Japan/TEPCO wants outside help in the form of man power, I'm sure they'll ask and the world will respond.

Actually, as the crisis may have broader implications outside of Japan, I'm not sure it's only Japan's decision to make at this point. This is not a strictly internal matter-- it imperils other nations.

Some perspective:

Of the 2,044 nuclear weapons tests worldwide, there have been 711 in the atmosphere or underwater: 215 by the U.S., 207 by the Soviet Union, 21 by Britain, 45 by France and, 23 by China.

The last atmospheric nuclear weapons test occurred on 16 October 1980 in China. The first was on 16 July 1945 in the U.S.

It is estimated that the total yield of all the atmospheric nuclear weapons tests conducted is 438 megatons. That's equivalent to 29,200 Hiroshima size bombs. In the 36 years between 1945 and 1980 when atmospheric testing was being conducted this would have been equivalent to exploding a Hiroshima size bomb in the atmosphere every 11 hour

Being an old fart I was around for almost all of them and I'm still here. Not trying to minimize what is happening at all but this is not a doomsday scenario. Even if the worst happens it will be a mere speck compared to what we purposefully dumped into our atmosphere during those years.

C'mon now. I'm 60 but these tests were conducted in remote land sites, underground, or in oceanic areas. Honshu is highly populated.

C'mon now. I'm 60 but these tests were conducted in remote land sites, underground, or in oceanic areas. Honshu is highly populated.

A very tragic local and possibly regional event, but my point is that things like the US Surgeon General telling Americans to get iodine pills are a total overreaction to an event 5000 miles from the west coast.

This reminds me a bit of the Gulf oil spill-- another situation that neither technology nor manpower nor the world's best minds could remedy-- but of course this is way more serious.

The majority of the oil was cleaned up. The government and BP did a remarkable job with cleanup.

There is no way to clean up radiation, as we know.

I really doubt all employees are leaving.

How can that be?

If true, then they are basically giving up and will allow all 6 units to collapse and this will become a historic disaster.

We all know that assuming makes an ass out of you and me, but... gah, this is looking awful...

I am likely wrong but perhaps the workers were withdrawn because they can't really do anything at this point anymore, and there's no sense in letting them all die if disaster is inevitable... their actions have been heroic regardless, but it doesn't make sense that they've been risking their lives up till now and suddenly they can't work anymore? As people have said, it's practically a suicide mission anyways... very confusing/disturbing.

It's also crazy that, if this gets worse, the world may see two of the worst ecological disasters known in the span of two years (Bastar* Petroleum Gulf Oil Spill being the other). It's very sad. :(

This reminds me a bit of the Gulf oil spill-- another situation that neither technology nor manpower nor the world's best minds could remedy-- but of course this is way more serious.

I thought the same thing. There is a bit of difference in that this plant was by all accounts safe and well-run. It was just subjected to a very, very rare event. The BP spill was a result of human negligence and greed, really.

Archived