Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Reactor meltdown possible in Japan.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This situation has becoming increasingly worse each day. The evacuation of 450000 people was done for a reason dude.people told to stay in their homes by the gov't, your statement here is just as bad as the worlds going to end folks.

I disagree Steve, but we shall see the truth in the end, my fear is this has strengthened the petroleum industry even further, and some of the literature and interviews that I have seen over the past two days only make this fear become more apparent.

From CBS.

Although communication with the workers inside the nuclear plant is nearly impossible, a CBS News consultant spoke to a Japanese official who made contact with one of the 50 inside the control center.

The official said that his friend, one of the Fukushima 50, told him that he was not afraid to die, that that was his job.

Those workers are seriously heroes-- in the truest sense. Like, wow. They should be completely honored by the state and somehow immortalized for their work after this. It's a real sacrifice these people are making.

There are 3 rapidly deteriorating nuclear meltdowns happening now. Nothing like this has happened before. It's worse than TMI, an event that had a polarizing effect on American society. No one is saying that everyone in the area is receiving deadly radiation. You are downplaying this in a similar way to those that are overestimating this, saying this will be the next Chernobyl. Everyone needs to keep a cool head and stick to facts and relevant info, not baseless predictions.

I am downplaying nothing. It is my opinion that time and human resources (outside the facilities) are being wasted on a threat that will never materialize. The human tragedy that is playing itself out under the cars, under the houses, under the towns, where people are buried alive and dying right now is far more important than speculating on what may or may not happen regarding the nuclear situation.

Time will tell, and the truth will be exposed.

Those workers are seriously heroes-- in the truest sense. Like, wow. They should be completely honored by the state and somehow immortalized for their work after this. It's a real sacrifice these people are making.

I keep thinking about that. I mean, who knows how serious the radiation is for these workers(I assume it's significant), but can you imagine how they must feel? Or their families??

There are 3 rapidly deteriorating nuclear meltdowns happening now. Nothing like this has happened before. It's worse than TMI, an event that had a polarizing effect on American society. No one is saying that everyone in the area is receiving deadly radiation. You are downplaying this in a similar way to those that are overestimating this, saying this will be the next Chernobyl. Everyone needs to keep a cool head and stick to facts and relevant info, not baseless predictions.

Agreed. I'm finding both extremes in this discussion to be equally irritating. The-sky-is-falling crowd is definitely annoying-- but I'm also kind of irked by people who are acting like this isn't a Code Red situation.

This situation has becoming increasingly worse each day. The evacuation of 450000 people was done for a reason dude.people told to stay in their homes by the gov't, your statement here is just as bad as the worlds going to end folks.

Agreed. Why would they expose 50 personnel to dangerous radiation levels if it weren't necessary to keep the situation under control? They're certainly not doing it to keep their insurance premiums low. Why not just pack their bags, leave the facility and let nature take its course, if there is no consequence?

Clearly the intention here is to keep control and if that control is lost -- which seems possible at this stage -- there are probably consequences that should be taken seriously.

I'd like to round up all these "pft... nothing to worry about" people here and on TV and drop them at the plant and see how long it takes for them to lose their fudge.

Moving on... the white smoke coming from the building now seems to dissipate pretty quickly... Maybe it's steam?

I keep thinking about that. I mean, who knows how serious the radiation is for these workers(I assume it's significant), but can you imagine how they must feel? Or their families??

Honored. 65 years later we are again getting an example of why the US did not want to invade Japan.

I would hope that they would use something like bullet-proof glass on that, and hopefully that would allow it to survive. It's not like they'd use standard glass or anything like that.

Who knows. We're also assuming that they haven't bent any rules.

It kind of breaks your heart thinking about it. Ugh. It's true martyrdom-- not the bullsh*t kind.

Yep. Heroes.

--

Steam or smoke I'm not sure it matters....probably not good in either case.

Agreed. Why would they expose 50 personnel to dangerous radiation levels if it weren't necessary to keep the situation under control? They're certainly not doing it to keep their insurance premiums low. Why not just pack their bags, leave the facility and let nature take its course, if there is no consequence?

Clearly the intention here is to keep control and if that control is lost -- which seems possible at this stage -- there are probably consequences that should be taken seriously.

I'd like to round up all these "pft... nothing to worry about" people here and on TV and drop them at the plant and see how long it takes for them to lose their fudge.

Moving on... the white smoke coming from the building now seems to dissipate pretty quickly... Maybe it's steam?

It was reported that the Prime Minister said the company would "100% fail" if they pulled everyone out.

To me its sad that this thread blows away the actual earthquake/tsunami thread, whats the death toll from any nuclear situation? Whats the death toll from the tsunami and earthquake?

This thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with our society. Tens of thousands of people are hurting, they are dying, they are dying inside after losing family members, there homes, there loved ones, yet most are concerned about a "possible" situation that in the end is not likely to amount to anything besides evacuations and energy problems down the road. In so many ways the global media and accessiblity of it have weakened us as a race. Its pathetic.

not sure but it looks like a decent amount what ever it is..not sure why it would be steam....

at first i thought maybe they are pouring water onto the very hot spent fuel rods....which would create steam...but they are supposed to be under water still

steam could be really really bad

To me its sad that this thread blows away the actual earthquake/tsunami thread, whats the death toll from any nuclear situation? Whats the death toll from the tsunami and earthquake?

This thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with our society. Tens of thousands of people are hurting, they are dying, they are dying inside after losing family members, there homes, there loved ones, yet most are concerned about a "possible" situation that in the end is not likely to amount to anything besides evacuations and energy problems down the road. In so many ways the global media and accessiblity of it have weakened us as a race. Its pathetic.

Give it a rest. if you don't like this thread, don't read it.

I am downplaying nothing. It is my opinion that time and human resources (outside the facilities) are being wasted on a threat that will never materialize. The human tragedy that is playing itself out under the cars, under the houses, under the towns, where people are buried alive and dying right now is far more important than speculating on what may or may not happen regarding the nuclear situation.

Time will tell, and the truth will be exposed.

I would think rescue crews are doing all they can (time is the biggest enemy). At the same time, the nuclear situation is happening live/now and is very difficult for someone like me (decently trained in rad. safety and sciences) to understand. I keep going to bed thinking, maybe it will be slightly better in the morning, only to wake up to find another reactor, or fuel rod pool, or something has caught fire, exploded, partially melted, or whatever...

Difficult to digest 10000 miles away...

Was just looking at the footage from the helicopter. The copter is 30KM away. To me it looks like steam. What are the outside temperatures, upper 30's to mid 40's? Cool enough for steam clouds but its hard to tell with the copter being so far away.

It was confirmed smoke, the smoke was coming out of all sides of that building, white smoke not oily. Again I ask what is burning.

I find it pretty irresponsible to claim this crisis is not that bad or it's nearly over. What happen to risk aversion?

I don't know either way to be quit honest as to what the hell is going to happen, and it's wearing me out.. I'm exhausted reading article after article, document after document day in and out. I'm no further ahead in understanding the catastrophic danger or nothing is going to happen. It's been day three, and they don't appear to be any farther ahead in putting this crisis to bed.

Maybe the only fission made is by us, when we exceed 100 folks in this thread. Every night it appears that something bad happens or something else caught on fire, or something exploded, or something is melting or boiling or dying.

Maybe we should all logoff and see if it stops.

The ongoing threat of a nuclear meltdown that could potentially poison thousands > an event that has already ended. All three disasters have been terrible so far, but this is ongoing, and it's pretty damn presumptuous of you to negate the impact of what's going on at the Fukushima plant.

Agreed. I'm finding both extremes in this discussion to be equally irritating. The-sky-is-falling crowd is definitely annoying-- but I'm also kind of irked by people who are acting like this isn't a Code Red situation.

it's clear, whether or not there are tons of experts, that it is more or less doing what it is doing and we can only stop so much from happening. i guess that's the root fear that many have with nuclear energy be it civil or military use... we can only harness it to a point, but there are often many surprises. a few days ago it was fear mongering to assume the worst imo. but since then things have progressively gotten worse and it seems the door is opening further for things to go even more in the wrong direction. with so many reactors and so much product it is a bit unnerving.

I find it pretty irresponsible to claim this crisis is not that bad or it's nearly over. What happen to risk aversion?

I don't know either way to be quit honest as to what the is going to happen, and it's wearing me out.. I'm exhausted reading article after article, document after document day in and out. I'm no further ahead in understanding the catastrophic danger or nothing is going to happen. It's been day three, and they don't appear to be any farther ahead in putting this crisis to bed.

Maybe the only fission made is by us, when we exceed 100 folks in this thread. Every night it appears that something bad happens or something else caught on fire, or something exploded, or something is melting or boiling or dying.

Maybe we should all logoff and see if it stops.

:lol:

I feel like you wrote exactly what I'm thinking. Bingo.

The ongoing threat of a nuclear meltdown that could potentially poison thousands > an event that has already ended. All three disasters have been terrible so far, but this is ongoing, and it's pretty damn presumptuous of you to negate the impact of what's going on at the Fukushima plant.

nuclear meltdown? link?

I sort of agree with you...

But is this tragedy (the tsunami and quake victims in Japan), of lesser importance than, say, the Haiti one where 200K people died, or Sumatra?

The numbers are not always what we focus on, for whatever reason.

There is also the quake thread...

nuclear meltdown? link?

Are you literate? I said there was an ongoing threat of a meltdown, which there most definitely is as we've already seen partial meltdowns in at least two of the reactors.

Part of the problem with this event is we have such limited data regarding past nuclear plant disasters--obviously TMI and Chernobyl are the two comparisons constantly being thrown around, as those are the only ones people really know about in the US, but there's such a huge spread between the event ranked below Chernobyl (ranked as a 6, in the 50s in Russia I believe?) and the next level up that there's no real comparison to be made here. Besides the fact that no-one seems to know what a partial meltdown looks like vs. a full meltdown, whether explosions are bad or terrible, etc etc. There's very limited data.

Archived