• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Reactor meltdown possible in Japan.

I'd have designed the plant with passive cooling, ie, natural circulation, as well as redundant systems, if I was building one in an area known for strong quakes.

As soon as a reactor is scrammed, it continues producing about 7% of the average power production of the previous several days of operation because of radioactive decay of unstable isotopes produced by fission. This decay heat then declines.

http://www.rertr.anl...EV1/TDHEAT.html

(Former NEC 3383, surface ship reactor operator, ET2/E-5 before I went to college)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/12_38.html

The operation at Fukushima No.1 plant to lower pressure of the containment vessel has been suspended due to high radiation levels at the site.

Pressure of the reactor container is rising as its cooling system became dysfunctional due to a blackout and power generator breakdown. This has raised concern about possible damage to the container.

The power station's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company, began to vent air from the reactor container at 9AM on Saturday.

Under the plan, 2 valves close to the container would be opened manually, but radiation level on the second valve was found higher than expected.

The operation has been suspended because of the possibility that workers could be exposed to radiation. The utility is reportedly studying how to open the valve by replacing workers at a short interval, or using electric remote control.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says if radioactive substance is released in the air, safety of residents evacuated beyond a 10-kilometer radius from the No.1 reactor will be ensured.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 13:09 +0900 (JST)

I'd have designed the plant with passive cooling, ie, natural circulation, as well as redundant systems, if I was building one in an area known for strong quakes.

As soon as a reactor is scrammed, it continues producing about 7% of the average power production of the previous several days of operation because of radioactive decay of unstable isotopes produced by fission. This decay heat then declines.

(Former NEC 3383, surface ship reactor operator, ET2/E-5 before I went to college)

Thread merge?

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/15243-possible-partial-or-full-nuclear-meltdown-as-a-result-of-89-earthquake-in-japan/

I'm pretty sure the Japanese know more about building nuclear power plants in earthquake-prone areas than you do... just hazarding a guess...

It's too bad you weren't around to help out with Chernobyl either because that *totes* wouldn't have melted down if the Soviets had followed your advice.

http://www.chron.com...ll/7469065.html

A nuclear power plant affected by a massive earthquake is facing a possible meltdown, an official with Japan's nuclear safety commission said Saturday. Ryohei Shiomi said that officials were checking whether a meltdown had taken place at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant's Unit 1, which had lost cooling ability in the aftermath of Friday's powerful earthquake.

Shiomi said that even if there was a meltdown, it wouldn't affect humans beyond a six-mile (10-kilometer) radius.

http://www.chron.com...ll/7469065.html

A nuclear power plant affected by a massive earthquake is facing a possible meltdown, an official with Japan's nuclear safety commission said Saturday. Ryohei Shiomi said that officials were checking whether a meltdown had taken place at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant's Unit 1, which had lost cooling ability in the aftermath of Friday's powerful earthquake.

Shiomi said that even if there was a meltdown, it wouldn't affect humans beyond a six-mile (10-kilometer) radius.

How do they calculate that?

I'm pretty sure the Japanese know more about building nuclear power plants in earthquake-prone areas than you do... just hazarding a guess...

It's too bad you weren't around to help out with Chernobyl either because that *totes* wouldn't have melted down if the Soviets had followed your advice.

The nuclear power plants at risk were built in the 1940s and are first generation, old power plants. They may know more now, as in 2011, but I highly doubt they knew more then.

IF the containment building is breached, then we will need to know the wind patterns around the plant. if the worse case happens then we will have what is called a China Syndrome. where the reactor core melts through the bottom of the reactor vessel and hits the water that is under ground. the water then flashes to steam and that pushes through the top of the reactor. this will spread radiation and radioactive particles for hundreds of miles. this is what happened in Chernobyl.

this isn't something that can be cleaned up.

You'd hope they would.

Chernobyl, my understanding was it was a poorly planned and perhaps not authorized experiment, in a style of reactor plant perhaps not used in the US since the Manhattan Project itself.

I didn't design passive cooling/natural circulation of course, but I've know about it since I was at the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory in New York about twenty five years ago. And I'd think every civilian nuclear reactor should be designed to maintain coolant flow in case of loss of power.

Your experience with nuclear power?

Chernobyl happened because they didn't have the proper containment buildings setup in case of an emergency. The Japanese plants are like the US plants in that they have a containment building to hold in the radiation if they have a meltdown. This Japanese plant would be similar to Three Mile Island, not Chernobyl.

IF the containment building is breached, then we will need to know the wind patterns around the plant. if the worse case happens then we will have what is called a China Syndrome. where the reactor core melts through the bottom of the reactor vessel and hits the water that is under ground. the water then flashes to steam and that pushes through the top of the reactor. this will spread radiation and radioactive particles for hundreds of miles. this is what happened in Chernobyl.

this isn't something that can be cleaned up.

Being blown to the east would be the best case scenario.

Chernobyl happened because they didn't have the proper containment buildings setup in case of an emergency. The Japanese plants are like the US plants in that they have a containment building to hold in the radiation if they have a meltdown. This Japanese plant would be similar to Three Mile Island, not Chernobyl.

Except there are numerous reports that the containment buildings may be damaged from the earthquake.

This can end up being a much bigger deal than what happened at 3 Mile.

If these reactors are from the 1950s and 1960s, I'm surprised they hadn't been decommissioned. After about 30 years operating at full power, the containment vessel experiences something called neutron embrittlement. I know the A4W/A1G reactors on the CVN-68 (Nimitz) class were expected to last about 40 years, or be refueled a single time. They last a little longer because the reactors are almost never at full power, and are usually shut down in port.

If I'm not mistaken, the Enterprise (CVN-65) which has an older design power plant, will soon be retired, mainly because its reactor plants are nearing the end of useful service life.

Everything I'm seeing says there's a meltdown about to occur..

Another link..

http://english.aljaz...4353222667.html

There could still be a 'meltdown' and containment at the same time.

Don't equate this to Chernobyl which many folks will probably initially think when they see the word 'meltdown. A better equation at this state is TMI.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Asia/Story/STIStory_644342.html

TOKYO - JAPANESE quake-hit nuclear plant Fukushima No. 1, located about 250km north-east of Tokyo, 'may be experiencing a nuclear meltdown', Kyodo and Jiji news reported on Saturday.

Parts of the reactor's nuclear fuel rods were briefly exposed to the air after cooling water levels dropped through evaporation, and a fire engine was pumping water into the reactor, Jiji Press reported. The water levels are recovering, said operator Tokyo Electric Power, according to Jiji.

http://www.straitsti...ory_644342.html

TOKYO - JAPANESE quake-hit nuclear plant Fukushima No. 1, located about 250km north-east of Tokyo, 'may be experiencing a nuclear meltdown', Kyodo and Jiji news reported on Saturday.

Parts of the reactor's nuclear fuel rods were briefly exposed to the air after cooling water levels dropped through evaporation, and a fire engine was pumping water into the reactor, Jiji Press reported. The water levels are recovering, said operator Tokyo Electric Power, according to Jiji.

The plants are not fixable if that is true. Exposure to air, which doesn't transfer heat readily, will almost certainly lead to swelling of the matrix (usually niobium) the uranium fuel is contained in, and possible blistering or even rupturing of the cladding of the fuel rods.

Obviously. And we've got about a sh*t-pile of mets on here. Can ONE of them tell us what the winds are doing, and are forecast to do?

i'm not a met but looking at JMA, there's a high pressure area in the region and the winds look like variable at 5-10mph...

look at this map for Fukushima:

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/amedas/205.html?elementCode=1

Except there are numerous reports that the containment buildings may be damaged from the earthquake.

This can end up being a much bigger deal than what happened at 3 Mile.

From the Science Media Centre of Canada:

John Luxat, Professor and Industrial Research Chair in Nuclear Safety Analysis, McMaster University says:

What seems to have happened at the Fukushima nuclear plant?

“It’s very difficult to make definite conclusions at this point because information is coming in bits and pieces. What we do know is that when the quake hit the reactors at Fukushima, there were three of the reactors up and running – the other three were shut down for regular inspection. The three that were up and running immediately shut down, as they are designed to do when the ground shakes above a certain level.

“The emergency backup diesel generators that provides electricity to the shutdown cooling system operated as designed for about an hour, and then they failed for some reason that’s not clear. They lost power to the pumps providing cooling water. Reports are that they have brought in backup generators and hooked them up.

“One reactor is reported to have a slightly greater problem with cooling, which is not fully clear.

“At this stage, they need to reestablish the electrical power supply to the cooling system.

“The other thing is that the containment buildings haven’t suffered any reported damage. The plants are designed to strict seismic requirements because they’re in an earthquake region in Japan, and there’s no reported damage to these structures. The function of a containment building is to contain any radioactive material released from the reactor and limit any subsequent release outside the plant.”

http://www.scienceme...christchurch-2/

why on earth would someone build one of these plants so close to the ocean where something like this can happen!! STUPID! :arrowhead:

The ocean is a big heat sink needed to cool the steam that has passed through the turbines back to feed water.

Almost every big reactor is built near a lake, river or ocean.

Archived