Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Reactor meltdown possible in Japan.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful situation at the plant... Im lost for words on this whole disaster. Now seems the question is if it can be contained from the remaining reactors... People most likely no food, clean water, clothes etc... heartbreaking. I guess this thread needs some nuclear techs at this point. alot of times things get blown out of proportion in disasters. I was hoping this was the case here, but it does not appear that way.

This should make us feel foolish for thinking we can contain the forces of nature. Such a sad situation that we have now added a man made disaster to what was already such a devastating natural one. Goes to show with all the technology we have we still can't touch the power of mother nature.

If one of the reactors is exposed, aren't they going to need a suicide crew to hang around and do battle with the others?

Yes but I think only two of the four reactors at this plant were running at the time....or that could be the other plant they are having issues with i am thinking of

also I heard a report on CNN that the winds are supossed to turn NE monday......there must be a low forecast east of them or something

Guess who is down wind of Japan................:( I would expected all U.S. resources are about to be activated..

I doubt it.

First off, we don't know what the status is as far as a breach down to the core. Secondly, theres alot of mileage for the plume to make it, assuming there is one, and assuming it makes it to the jet stream. I can see maybe some increased monitoring possibly, but a full scale deployment of anything? No.

If one of the reactors is exposed, aren't they going to need a suicide crew to hang around and do battle with the others?

This is what happened at Chernobyl. There is a reason to compare this to both TMI and Chernobyl. both had meltdowns and both were handled differently.

Chernobyl exploded while TMI was contained.

This is the third disaster for Japan. Expect the country to suffer economic collapse.

now i'm reading that the explosion that we saw was an intentional one... can anyone chime on this??

Originally they were going to try and vent some nuclear steam... a trace amount of it, but then they suspended that. This is NOT intentional. This is an entire reactor going boom.

I might would say otherwise; Japan gov't has now confirmed a radioactive leak at the plant and now has issued the following...

Japan declares emergencies at 5 nuclear units

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20110312/NEWS0805/103120313/1020/news0805/Japan-declares-emergencies-5-nuclear-units

That info is like 12hrs old.

This is what happened at Chernobyl. There is a reason to compare this to both TMI and Chernobyl. both had meltdowns and both were handled differently.

Chernobyl exploded while TMI was contained.

This is the third disaster for Japan. Expect the country to suffer economic collapse.

This is so much worse than the Kobe earthquake which nearly destroyed Japan's economy. Not to in any way take away from the loss of life, but this is going to weigh heavily on our markets next week.

Old news. Not true.

Really, everything I'm hearing is old news. We all saw the explosion -- just no one telling us what it meant. If Japan has loosed a massive plume of radiation on the world, they sure are taking their sweet time telling anybody.

Wouldn't the fallout zone within the area say 6 miles be enough to deter radiation experts and crews from maintaining the other reactors, so if there was any more problems, it would be hard to battle the other atomic plants?

The several-mile thing assumed the container kept integrity. New rules now.

Really, everything I'm hearing is old news. We all saw the explosion -- just no one telling us what it meant. If Japan has loosed a massive plume of radiation on the world, they sure are taking their sweet time telling anybody.

I agree, NHK was all over the explosion earlier and now they went into silent mode. The gov officials are just saying they need more information.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/

NEWS ADVISORY: Radiation level falls after briefly surging following blast: agency

I agree. Lots of nuclear experts on here arn't they?:rolleyes: Now it's what they are not telling the world or are afraid to

there are only 3 explainations for the delay.

1. There isn't enough information to convey to the public

2. The event isn't as bad as what the general public thinks and are not concerned

3. The situation is critical and don't want mass hysteria

I'm guessing option 1 is the most probable reason, though I could see number 2 being right also, as society likes to jump to conclusions especially when it comes to nuclear plants

Archived