• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Reactor meltdown possible in Japan.

Really, everything I'm hearing is old news. We all saw the explosion -- just no one telling us what it meant. If Japan has loosed a massive plume of radiation on the world, they sure are taking their sweet time telling anybody.

This is what makes me wonder if the reactor has been fully breached or indeed is melting down with the rods exposed.

Then again they could be still trying to assess the magnitude of the damage before releasing more info. Hard to imagine that they don't have a good handle on how dire the situation is though if in fact the core is melting down with an open release to atmosphere.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what makes me wonder if the reactor has been fully breached or indeed is melting down with the rods exposed.

Then again they could be still trying to assess the magnitude of the damage before releasing more info. Hard to imagine that they don't have a good handle on how dire the situation is though if in fact the core is melting down with an open release to atmosphere.

This is what I'm thinking

We don't know the full extent of what happened yet.. but the outer shell of a reactor is gone. I've never seen any kind of building explosion that takes the outer shell of it clean off and just leaving the skeleton, but looking at the video, the explosion happened from WITHIN the building, not adjacent to the building. Simple physics here. Something INSIDE the building exploded.

there are only 3 explainations for the delay.

1. There isn't enough information to convey to the public

2. The event isn't as bad as what the general public thinks and are not concerned

3. The situation is critical and don't want mass hysteria

I'm guessing option 1 is the most probable reason, though I could see number 2 being right also, as society likes to jump to conclusions especially when it comes to nuclear plants

How many times have you seen a video of an entire reactor exploding after a government has declared that there is a high risk of a meltdown and then have a government official admit that there is radiation leaking from the reactor and have tens of thousands of people evacuate immediately? No one's jumping to conclusions without evidence in this thread. We have facts and all we're doing is posting the facts. If you have a problem with the facts, I cannot help you. There have been at least 3 videos of the explosion posted in this thread. I suggest you watch them and then come back and tell me we're jumping to conclusions.

We don't know the full extent of what happened yet.. but the outer shell of a reactor is gone. I've never seen any kind of building explosion that takes the outer shell of it clean off and just leaving the skeleton, but looking at the video, the explosion happened from WITHIN the building, not adjacent to the building. Simple physics here. Something INSIDE the building exploded.

Well I can appreciate your theory for sure. But I think we all agree, once the meltdown is in progress, ther's not much the outisde world can do now...sadly

How many times have you seen a video of an entire reactor exploding after a government has declared that there is a high risk of a meltdown and then have a government official admit that there is radiation leaking from the reactor and have tens of thousands of people evacuate immediately? No one's jumping to conclusions without evidence in this thread. We have facts and all we're doing is posting the facts. If you have a problem with the facts, I cannot help you. There have been at least 3 videos of the explosion posted in this thread. I suggest you watch them and then come back and tell me we're jumping to conclusions.

We don't know this, the skeleton looks intact which is the containment part of the building, the building itself looks gone, lets wait to see whats going on

We don't know details, they are hush hush for some odd reason, try not to jump, although its very tempting :weight_lift:

Probably because they don't want everyone to panic and/or release inaccurate information without having all of the facts.

There is one fact we can confirm though. There was an explosion inside of reactor #1 of a nuclear power plant with a very high risk of a meltdown.

Here is the video once again. Skip to :45 to see the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVx2lpm1HBE&feature=youtu.be

I agree. I've seen enough.

Well I can appreciate your theory for sure. But I think we all agree, once the meltdown is in progress, ther's not much the outisde world can do now...sadly

We can stop building nuclear power plants and decomission the existing ones. Sorry, I've never heard of a Solar power plant exploding and causing any harm... or a windmill exploding and causing any harm... but this is probably a topic for another thread.

Probably because they don't want everyone to panic and/or release inaccurate information without having all of the facts.

There is one fact we can confirm though. There was an explosion inside of reactor #1 of a nuclear power plant with a very high risk of a meltdown.

Here is the video once again. Skip to :45 to see the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVx2lpm1HBE&feature=youtu.be

I have seen everything you guys have seen, but we don't know 100% that the reactor was blow up, I'm wating for confirmation from the media

BBC Live News Feed: 1009: “This is starting to look a lot like Chernobyl” Walt Patterson, an associate fellow with Chatham House, has told the BBC after seeing pictures of the explosion at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant. “The nuclear agency says that they have detected caesium and iodine outside the unit, which certainly indicates fuel melting at the very least,” he says. “Once you have melting fuel coming into contact with water, that would almost certainly be the cause of the explosion.”

<BR clear=all>

That was a massive explosion. I wonder if they were using hydrogen in an attempt to cool the core and prevent cracking.

I would think if it was a hydrogen explosion, we'd have seen fire. I wonder if the container wasn't just highly pressurized (steam) and ready to blow. I have read repeatedly that one of the containers was pressurized beyond design specs. I've also read that the explosion happened at the same time an aftershock was occurring. That might have been what sent it over the edge. All speculation, though, as we all await word.

BBC Live News Feed: 1009: “This is starting to look a lot like Chernobyl” Walt Patterson, an associate fellow with Chatham House, has told the BBC after seeing pictures of the explosion at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant. “The nuclear agency says that they have detected caesium and iodine outside the unit, which certainly indicates fuel melting at the very least,” he says. “Once you have melting fuel coming into contact with water, that would almost certainly be the cause of the explosion.”

<BR clear=all>

I'm sold now :yikes:

I have seen everything you guys have seen, but we don't know 100% that the reactor was blow up, I'm wating for confirmation from the media

Explain to me why the reactor building is just a skeleton after that explosion and how it would be possible that it was not that building that exploded. Trying to remain optomistic is one thing... rejecting clear evidence is another. There are no reports of civilian casualties as a result of this... being optomistic means you hope it stays that way. I can easily assume I know we all do and we all pray for the Japanese people. Japan has such a rich culture and a very long, fascinating history. They will survive this...

We can stop building nuclear power plants and decomission the existing ones. Sorry, I've never heard of a Solar power plant exploding and causing any harm... or a windmill exploding and causing any harm... but this is probably a topic for another thread.

Na.....that wouldn't solve anything. We all gota live. What do you expect when you have nutcases in Washington that take away our oil, coal, and any other common sense energy means for mankind to survive on. I mean the energy means you have suggested will never materialize into large amounts of sufficent energy needs. We need nuclear power for the Western Civilization to survive if we are to continue living in our vanity filled lives. But this as you stated, is for another topic.

I would think if it was a hydrogen explosion, we'd have seen fire. I wonder if the container wasn't just highly pressurized (steam) and ready to blow. I have read repeatedly that one of the containers was pressurized beyond design specs. I've also read that the explosion happened at the same time an aftershock was occurring. That might have been what sent it over the edge. All speculation, though, as we all await word.

Ah, just posted on BBC.

1016: The BBC's environment correspondent Roger Harrabin says he understands the blast at the nuclear plant may have been caused by a hydrogen explosion - also one of the possibilities laid out by Walt Patterson of Chatham House. "If nuclear fuel rods overheat and then come into contact with water, this produces a large amount of highly-flammable hydrogen gas which can then ignite," our correspondent says.

Na.....that wouldn't solve anything. We all gota live. What do you expect when you have nutcases in Washington that take away our oil, coal, and any other common sense energy means for mankind to survive on. I mean the energy means you have suggested will never materialize into large amounts of sufficent energy needs. We need nuclear power for the Western Civilation to survive if we are to continue living in our vanity filled lives. But this as you stated, is for another topic.

When we stop quoting Spock and stop believing that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and realize that we should satisfy the needs of everyone including those who live near nuclear power plants, are all equal to each other, then we will have a society in which can thrive much further beyond our limited western society.

Explain to me why the reactor building is just a skeleton after that explosion and how it would be possible that it was not that building that exploded. Trying to remain optomistic is one thing... rejecting clear evidence is another. There are no reports of civilian casualties as a result of this... being optomistic means you hope it stays that way. I can easily assume I know we all do and we all pray for the Japanese people. Japan has such a rich culture and a very long, fascinating history. They will survive this...

Reports are coming in and things look worse, I don't want them to. If the containment area is breached then all hell breaks loose and radiation can flow where ever it wants to

Ah, just posted on BBC.

1016: The BBC's environment correspondent Roger Harrabin says he understands the blast at the nuclear plant may have been caused by a hydrogen explosion - also one of the possibilities laid out by Walt Patterson of Chatham House. "If nuclear fuel rods overheat and then come into contact with water, this produces a large amount of highly-flammable hydrogen gas which can then ignite," our correspondent says.

Well okay, maybe. Still it's weird there'd be not a lick of flame.

Archived