Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Reactor meltdown possible in Japan.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0850: Japan's Kyodo news agency reporting that four people have been injured in an explosion at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant.

0847: NHK TV carrying advice to people to protect themselves against radiation. Experts say people should cover their mouths and noses with wet towels. Exposed skin should also be covered and people should wash after coming indoors. People should also avoid vegetables and other fresh food, as well as tap water, until authorities give the all-clear.

0841: Malcolm Grimston, a nuclear energy expert from Imperial College London, has told the BBC that as long as any nuclear meltdown is small-scale, it can be contained: "For example, there was one in the Chapel Cross plant in south-west Scotland in the 1960s, and at the end of that it only affected two of what they call the fuel channels, the long tubes where the fuel is put. They simply sealed those off, there was no release of radioactivity offsite and the plant continued to operate for 30 years."

I can't understand a word that the guy in the press conference on NHK world is saying, but he sure seems nervous or frightened...

during the first few minutes of the conference, the guy was listing the areas that would get 3m tsunamis: fukushima prefecture, aomori prefecture, etc... the succeeding parts, i still have no idea...

tsunami warnings live from that NHK link????

Don't want to get far from the nuclear issue; but, my understanding is JMA wants to keep the tsunami warnings going as long as the aftershocks continue, so the public is deterred from going near the coast.

during the first few minutes of the conference, the guy was listing the areas that would get 3m tsunamis: fukushima prefecture, aomori prefecture, etc... the succeeding parts, i still have no idea...

The English language audio of NHK isn't actually broadcasting atm. They keep the video; but, are switching to the warning loop b/t shows.

I'm absolutely speechless over watching that building just explode like that.

Its pretty crazy... like in sci-fi movies where they blow up a ship, but just suddenly superimpose an explosion where the ship was instead of blowing up the model of the ship... except in this case it was really just that fast.

What we may not be able to see is a secondary shell... Have seen a schematic so I'm just reaching for positives.

but why wouldn't the 1st shell be damaged too(the one that holds the reactor) what could cause such an explsosion between the 1st and 2nd shell that huge?

fox news live

nuclear expert: very concerned...saying this is the worst case siutation..says he wouldn;t want to be within 50 miles of the plant

0857: The BBC's Nick Ravenscroft was on his way towards Fukushima, but about 60km from the plant was stopped by the police and told it was too dangerous to proceed. He says there is lots of traffic coming in the other direction. Authorities in vehicles with sirens are making public announcements to the crowds.

Archived