• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Reactor meltdown possible in Japan.

If this just turns out to be just a big scare this is going to have a huge impact on the future of nuclear energy in the US. That really bums me out. It's been since the 70s that a plant has been approved for construction in this country and it's going to be a long long time before it happens again.

But can you blame people for being spooked by this? I've never been enthused about nuclear energy, but now? Forget it. Living in a seismically-active region that is hit by violent earthquakes fairly regularly, I sure as hell would not be cool with a plant going up in Southern California-- not after seeing what's happening in Japan, a country that is on the forefront of earthquake preparedness.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I saw somewhere that they had 6-7 back up generators..all damaged in the tsunami

if that is indded the case then for now on gen sets should be positioned well above ground....perhaps on top of the buildings?

Well, bingo. That's what I'm getting at. Saying, "Well, the tsunamis damaged the generators" is a totally unacceptable excuse. Why would the generators even be vulnerable to rises in the sea level in an area that is prone to tsunamis? No one anticipated this possibility on Japan's NE Honshu coast? I mean, come on.

But this is a region prone to huge quakes and tsunamis-- it's not like these events are out of the blue. If they can't build to handle even 500-year-events, they shouldn't.

How would you supply energy to a region with such high population density?

Risk management. One does what one has to do.

Their gov't is smarter than ours--watch live Japanese TV. The head gov't dude speaks like a scientist as do the TV

commentators.

Nine people have been exposed. The Japanese are high functioning scientists, they do not need us to second guess them.

They also have nuclear reactors on barges. They are about 50 years ahead of the U S A.

But can you blame people for being spooked by this? I've never been enthused about nuclear energy, but now? Forget it. Living in a seismically-active region that is hit by violent earthquakes fairly regularly, I sure as hell would not be cool with a plant going up in Southern California-- not after seeing what's happening in Japan, a country that is on the forefront of earthquake preparedness.

I made a post similiar to this lastnight. How foolish we are to believe that we are capable of outdoing mother nature. We can build a ship and call it unsinkable and we can build a nuclear plant and say that its fully earthquake ready and could withstand a quake of up to a X strength but we never know what mother nature can throw at us. To put something that is so dangerous such as nuclear technology at the hands of mother nature is a dangerous move and we are seeing the effects of that now in Japan.

How would you supply energy to a region with such high population density?

Risk management. One does what one has to do.

Their gov't is smarter than ours--watch live Japanese TV. The head gov't dude speaks like a scientist as do the TV

commentators.

Nine people have been exposed. The Japanese are high functioning scientists, they do not need us to second guess them.

They also have nuclear reactors on barges. They are about 50 years ahead of the U S A.

As a major BP/oil-spill apologist, you have very little credibility when discussing the environmental impact of energy, so I don't take your comments about this topic too seriously. Sorry.

When we get the next violent quake in L.A., I'll rest assured I'm not going to be exposed to radiation. That's worth higher energy prices to me!

San Onofre? That is probably closer to LA than Fukushima is to Tokyo, or even Sendai. At the very least that is right across from the OC.

Japan knows what its doing - the area around Fukushima is not too densely populated, and it's located on the East Coast, where westerly prevailing winds would carry radioactive crap out to sea.

This is a disaster for sure, but so far, it seems very much contained to a small area and a very small number of people. It's very reactionary (and not a sign of critical thinking) to declare this a reason not to build nuclear... especially when it's one of the cheapest, cleanest forms of power out there. And for Japan, it's one of the only economically viable large-scale sources of power.

It's not like people don't get killed or injured with other types of power facilities, either. Radiation is just one of a long list of possible hazards that come with our industrial way of life... and, generally speaking, because of the danger it poses, it's handled in a way to make it as safe as (or safer than) other hazards.

As a major BP/oil-spill apologist, you have very little credibility when discussing the environmental impact of energy, so I don't take your comments about this topic too seriously. Sorry.

When we get the next violent quake in L.A., I'll rest assured I'm not going to be exposed to radiation. That's worth higher energy prices to me!

i guess it's a shame since everyone was moving back toward the idea of nuclear energy.. it's pretty damn safe on the whole regardless of anything that happens here.

San Onofre? That is probably closer to LA than Fukushima is to Tokyo, or even Sendai. At the very least that is right across from the OC.

Japan knows what its doing - the area around Fukushima is not too densely populated, and it's located on the East Coast, where westerly prevailing winds would carry radioactive crap out to sea.

I think that's Josh's point. Japan knows what they are doing and they are still having these problems. Ergo, it shouldn't be done in the first place.

Sorry, I should have clarified "L.A. Metro". San Onofre is in San Diego County.

"Japan knows what it's doing"? OK, cool. So then why are all these reactors having serious problems at the same time?

I hope you're right, but saying, "Don't worry-- the winds will blow the stuff offshore" is a pretty thin defense for the possible consequences.

I'm happy y'all are so into nuclear energy.

Suck it, Portland!

"Japan knows what it's going"? OK, cool. So then why are all these reactors having serious problems at the same time?

could be that biggest earthquake in 1,000 yrs that happened there..

How would Japan generate the needed electricity? Solar, not enough. Geothermal, not enough. Coal and petroleum yield 60 to 70% and so the

remainder must come from nuclear. Nuclear plants must have continuous sources of flowing water. The nuclear plants are the best solution

and so far, the only complication is nine people that can be cleaned up and given anti-radiation antidotes.

The Japanese nuclear generation program for their domestic energy needs is standing the test of time. They will re-commission the reactors and keep going.

China are undergoing a historic increase in their domestic generation of electrical energy via nuclear powered generators. The US is allowing itself to be left

in the dust.

Most Americans do not hate BP. Connect the dots. Economies go on. Energy delivery is a big part of every day around the World.

i guess it's a shame since everyone was moving back toward the idea of nuclear energy.. it's pretty damn safe on the whole regardless of anything that happens here.

occasional nuclear accident>>>>>>a bunch of coal plants spewing out pollution everyday

This is a disaster for sure, but so far, it seems very much contained to a small area and a very small number of people. It's very reactionary (and not a sign of critical thinking) to declare this a reason not to build nuclear... especially when it's one of the cheapest, cleanest forms of power out there. And for Japan, it's one of the only economically viable large-scale sources of power.

It's not like people don't get killed or injured with other types of power facilities, either. Radiation is just one of a long list of possible hazards that come with our industrial way of life... and, generally speaking, because of the danger it poses, it's handled in a way to make it as safe as (or safer than) other hazards.

Call it what you want. Go live near a nuclear reactor, then-- since you're a "critical thinker", presumably.

Regardless of what happens? :lol: If a meltdown does occur, we'll see how that trend toward nuclear power continues.

Let's hope we don't have to see that.

I think that's Josh's point. Japan knows what they are doing and they are still having these problems. Ergo, it shouldn't be done in the first place.

Thank you. It's like no one was understanding. My whole point was that the Japanese are the most capable in this area-- so if they can't even keep it under control, I hardly trust anyone else to.

I'd like to say I'm surprised at Josh for being so reactionary about this, but I have to remember that his generation had the Cold War scare and all that jazz to worry about.

They're having problems that are all being handled as well as could be expected, it seems. This is not going to be a Chernobyl-scale incident. The impacts so far are minor, especially compared to the rest of the 'quake's impacts (tsunami, etc).

I saw a ratings system earlier for nuclear accidents-- Im trying to remember the source-- but basically, Chernobyl was rated a 7, Three Mile Island was rated a 4 and this disaster was rated a 3 on that scale.

occasional nuclear accident>>>>>>a bunch of coal plants spewing out pollution everyday

most likely. i mean, if you end up with 4 chernobyls from an event like this then that's a huge problem. i dont think that's happening though. putting them near population centers in CA might be worrisome should the big one hit, ill agree to that. but engineers usually learn from these things so hopefully future designs will be even more hardened/ready for similar issues.

I'm not a "critical thinker" because I find it unacceptable that multiple reactors were not designed to handle earthquakes and tsunamis in a region prone to earthquakes and tsunamis.

:lol:

I suppose if you think it's already a Chernobyl in the making.

It's pretty clear to me that, though there are some serious problems, the backups they had in place as a contingency for natural disasters have been doing a pretty good job preventing a full-scale disaster so far.

I'd like to say I'm surprised at Josh for being so reactionary about this, but I have to remember that his generation had the Cold War scare and all that jazz to worry about.

They're having problems that are all being handled as well as could be expected, it seems. This is not going to be a Chernobyl-scale incident. The impacts so far are minor, especially compared to the rest of the 'quake's impacts (tsunami, etc).

Well Josh also has his roots on Long Island and Im sure he remembers Three Mile Island (1979) and we also had a reactor right in our own backyard (Shoreham) which was shut down a few years ago, but it was found that the ground water had higher than "normal" amounts of tritium. Granted, this generation of nuclear reactors is MUCH safer than the last, but I find some concern to be understandable.

Having added protection in earthquake/tsunami prone areas-- well that just makes a lot of common sense-- as does having added protection in regions prone to flash flooding, hurricanes and tornadoes.

Archived