• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Reactor meltdown possible in Japan.

You lived there as a child. Children don't sit around thinking of the consequences of these things.

strongly disagree -- earthquakes and my fear of them got me interested in science to begin with -- but believe what you must.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One hail mary pass is a miracle. They've got 5 reactors with problems down there. The odds don't look too good. Conflicting reports mention that #1 had a partial meltdown alla TMI. Again, the problem with this is we're not talking about 1 reactor at 1 site. We're talking about 5 reactors in 2 different sites where the plants have been heavily damaged by a biblically historic earthquake and tsunami... this is like fighting a Dark Sith Lord blindfolded with your hands tied behind your back with a concussion.

the reactors at the the 2nd site are all fine now..downgraded to sub critical

Between the Japanese government's desire not to spread panic (and probably save some face) and every expert commenting on the situation seemingly being fueled by some political agenda it's really hard to figure out what the hell is happening. Hopefully this place remains somewhere we can try to do that....

Also, the verbage of that breaking news report on CNN was exactly the same as the one that prompted the start of this thread. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they just saw that interview and thought it was more recent. CNN's coverage of the whole event has been pretty much awful aside from allowing me to watch video in HD, I've gone to just using the BBC for updates.

Wish the 24 hour news channels actually did their job and cover this historic event instead of showing us what life inside of a maximum security prison is like or some police sting on TV to catch pedophiles. I was barely even old enough to say goo goo gah gah when TMI happened... so I'd appreciate more detailed coverage of this historic event. The next few days could impact billions of human beings as we as a people decide whether or not nuclear power is a safe alternative to coal and oil power plants.

Things are not going well, back of my facility manager mind thinks things are out of control now, desperate measures are backfiring it seems. Lots of opinions here about impact to populations if it does melt down, where is poster Syracuse Max when you need him. Not good fellas not good.

how many nuke plants have failed in 6.5-6.9 quakes though? who even codes to a mega quake in this range anyway? they are a once in multi-generation events.. and most know that if a 9 happens in SoCal you're all really fooked regardless of nuclear plants.

A 9.0 would cause the same level of shaking that we had in Northridge-- it would just last longer and cover a wider area. (The reason: in our region, only the San Andreas can produce something that big, and it wouldn't be centered any closer than 25 mi from Downtown, as that's as close as the San Andreas passes near the city.) It would be bad but we'd get through it.

A bigger risk for us are the faults right under the city that can produce events well over 7.0.

This should be for the #3 reactor.... No idea if it means that they have decided to apply saltwater like the #1 reactor.

Japan's Edano says water supply and pressure release being used to try to control Fukushima nuclear reactor. Edano also adds that radiation leakage from nuclear reactor unlikely to affect people's health

And as a child you were concerned about the potential consequences of nuclear-energy accidents caused by quakes? A precocious child you must have been!

im not sure i was concerned about that specifically but i have enough knowledge of both quakes and nuclear energy to make an informed decision even though i dont live in hollywood currently.. and yes on the second, thanks for inquiring.

im not sure i was concerned about that specifically but i have enough knowledge of both quakes and nuclear energy to make an informed decision even though i dont live in hollywood currently.. and yes on the second, thanks for inquiring.

Again, it's just really easy to dispassionately say that, since it's not a decision you need to make.

How bad the convo would be in PR has no bearing on whether the politics should be discussed here.

What politics are being discussed? Did someone mention politics?

We're discussing whether nuclear reactors are safe in seismically active regions-- in a thread about nuclear reactors in a seismically active region.

This PR says something happned to number one just after the quake..first i have heard about that..I though all this trouble was lack of cooling only

Unit 1(Shut down)

- Reactor has been shut down. However, the unit is under inspection due to

the explosive sound and white smoke that was confirmed after the big

quake occurred at 3:36PM.

- We have been injecting sea water and boric acid which absorbs neutron

into the reactor core.

Unit 2(Shut down)

- Reactor and Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System have been shut down.

Current reactor water level is lower than normal level, but the water

level is steady. After fully securing safety, we are preparing to

implement a measure to reduce the pressure of the reactor containment

vessels under the instruction of the national government.

Unit 3(Shut down)

- Reactor has been shut down and we continue injecting water by High

Pressure Core Injection System. After fully securing safety, we are

preparing to implement a measure to reduce the pressure of the reactor

containment vessels under the instruction of the national government.

- Currently, we do not believe there is any reactor coolant leakage

inside the reactor containment vessel.

http://www.tepco.co....11031301-e.html

Again, it's just really easy to dispassionately say that, since it's not a decision you need to make.

We're discussing whether nuclear reactors are safe in seismically active regions-- in a thread about nuclear reactors in a seismically active region.

Start a separate thread please, would be good but I think most would like to see discussion about the possible nuclear accident underway.

Wish the 24 hour news channels actually did their job and cover this historic event instead of showing us what life inside of a maximum security prison is like or some police sting on TV to catch pedophiles. I was barely even old enough to say goo goo gah gah when TMI happened... so I'd appreciate more detailed coverage of this historic event. The next few days could impact billions of human beings as we as a people decide whether or not nuclear power is a safe alternative to coal and oil power plants.

Don't watch MSNBC.

Damn hippies don't know how to run a news channel.

If this thread was about a hurricane and we discussed how safe it is to build near hurricane prone areas, would you still be this open to the discussion?

I'm still unsure as to why your opinion on nuclear energy holds more weight than someone elses because you live an an active area.

This PR says something happned to number one just after the quake..first i have heard about that..I though all this trouble was lack of cooling only

Unit 1(Shut down)

- Reactor has been shut down. However, the unit is under inspection due to

the explosive sound and white smoke that was confirmed after the big

quake occurred at 3:36PM.

- We have been injecting sea water and boric acid which absorbs neutron

into the reactor core.

The explosion yesterday was initially attributed to an aftershock. Some of the reports from TEPCO are dated.

If this thread was about a hurricane and we discussed how safe it is to build near hurricane prone areas, would you still be this open to the discussion?

I'm still unsure as to why your opinion on nuclear energy holds more weight than someone elses because you live an an active area.

Why are you continuing to drag this thread off topic?

I thought you were against that, and yet you perpetuate the problem. Seems hypocritical. To be polite to everyone, I won't respond.

Why are you continuing to drag this thread off topic?

I thought you were against that, and yet you perpetuate the problem. Seems hypocritical. To be polite to everyone, I won't respond.

Cool. Back to the real discussion about THIS nuclear disaster.

Archived