• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Reactor meltdown possible in Japan.

If the radiation is indeed 1sv then it's all over as far as saving the reactors. they will all meltdown as no one will risk saving them with such high radiation levels. might as well kiss that area good bye for a while. just hope there are no large explosions to disperse the radiation to tokyo or surrounding cities.

What about the thousands of spent rods, are we talking possible dirty bomb explosions?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said some needed to die, I said none of us know what they are facing and who among us would step up to face death. Step up is the wrong term, sacrifice everything, would be better, things like family, friends. This is movie stuff. I imagine most are scared sheet less and want to get the f out of there.

I think most folks here understood what I meant.

If the radiation is indeed 1sv then it's all over as far as saving the reactors. they will all meltdown as no one will risk saving them with such high radiation levels. might as well kiss that area good bye for a while. just hope there are no large explosions to disperse the radiation to tokyo or surrounding cities.

but it's not 1sv...it briefly hit 1 msv at the gate earlier according to the cabinet secretary and the NHK.

I remember watching video on chernobyl ( not saying this is it, but using a nuclear accident cleanup for example) and remember hearing about the suicide workers. They were put in lead suits, herded up to a fire tower( stair tower) behind a lead door. Then taking a minute interval time to run out to the roof and shovel debris on the roof back into the structure. it gave me the chills to think about being in that spot. I pray for the workers @ the plant and wish them the best of luck for their health and the sake of sanity.

Any info on the quake?

There's a lot of left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing between TEPCO, Edano, safety agency.

but it's not 1sv...it briefly hit 1 msv at the gate earlier according to the cabinet secretary and the NHK.

The press conference on NHK and MIT both are indicating the peak was 6.4msv in the control room....approaching 8msv.

Reuters now picking up the evacuation of workers as of a few minutes ago due to extremely high radiation levels. If correct something must have happened again in the last 20-30 mins.

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2

The wind will have to be monitored like a hawk. The highest impact from Chernobyl was in Belarus...we're talking about possibly millions needed to be evacuated.

The press conference on NHK and MIT both are indicating the peak was 6.4msv in the control room....approaching 8msv.

Reuters now picking up the evacuation of workers as of a few minutes ago due to extremely high radiation levels. If correct something must have happened again in the last 20-30 mins.

http://live.reuters....pan_earthquake2

right...certainly not suicide workers, at least yet.

A 9.0 earthquake, a 30-foot, tsunami, and facing a potential nuclear catastrophe involving six different reactors ....all at the same time.

Sort of hard to even comprehend that. I am hearing estimates of perhaps 10,000 dead from the quake and tsunamis. That alone is a huge catastrophe, especially for a first-world nation like Japan. The meltdown risk is adding insult to injury.

Just got home. Looks like this thread has seen a lot of posts since I left at 4pm.

Does anyone know if there is truth to the stories that reactor no 3 burns MOX fuel that contains a mix of plutonium and uranium?

Forecast winds look to be offshore for the short term. That would be good news for the population centers.

For you guys that are curious about what amounts of radiation the Chernobyl disaster got around the world to the US, the EPA has a write-up about the incident as well as some illustrations of monthly levels for the US in the several months immediately following the disaster part-way down the page. Found at this link here: http://www.epa.gov/r.../chernobyl.html

How did EPA monitor the plume from Chernobyl as it crossed the U.S.?

One source of monitoring data was daily samples from EPA's RadNet predecessor, the Environmental Radiation Ambient Monitoring System (ERAMS). The system first detected radiation from the accident at ground level on the West Coast one week after the accident. Although radioactivity levels were somewhat elevated, they were fortunately well below levels requiring protective actions. The animated illustration below shows the path and the timeframe for the passage of the Chernobyl plume across the United States.

So yes elevated radiation levels made it from the Chernobyl plants and came across the U.S but at really low levels. Those units in the illustrations are in pCi/m^3. Which I believe is pico-curie per cubic meter. Pico is 10^-12, or 0.000000000001. Thats the old standard in calculating radioactivity so not exactly sure how they tie into sieverts(micro, milli). But we're talking a very small number.

that's not the control room..have they updated those radiation numbers near the reactor?

I don't believe so. They can't get near it. That's more of a problem IMO. They need to be able to access the reactors. So while it's not spreading very far, it's hampering their efforts to try to control the situation. It's basically out of control right now. How are you going to cool them if you can't get near them?

Sort of hard to even comprehend that. I am hearing estimates of perhaps 10,000 dead from the quake and tsunamis. That alone is a huge catastrophe, especially for a first-world nation like Japan. The meltdown risk is adding insult to injury.

Not only insult to injury...the tsunami/earthquake could end up being the least of their problems.

Archived