Newest Member
    12bet1 net
9.0 Earthquake strikes Japan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any updates on the nuclear emergency?

BBC News reports

The Tokyo Electric Power Company has said the pressure inside the No. 1 reactor at its Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant has been rising, with the risk of a radiation leak, according to the Jiji Press news agency. Tepco planned to take measures to release the pressure, the report added. The reactor's cooling system began to malfunction after the earthquake. People living close to the plant were later evacuated as a precaution.

Nuclear physicist Dr Walt Patterson tells the BBC it sounds like there is a "serious problem" at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. "It's the sort of thing that nuclear engineers have nightmares about," he says. "If it is not resolved in the next few hours it will get serious. If the core is uncovered, then those rods at the top may get hot enough to melt themselves."

I've heard that the US is delivering much needed coolant to the plant

Lets hope that Nuclear sitaution is sorte dout soon, that would be all we need for there to be that added complication thrown into the mix!

Wicked video there Eyewall, the coverage of this has been very good in that sort of respect.

I hate how the news stations sensationalize the number of deaths.

It's always "BREAKING NEWS: 3 confirmed dead." Then they just keep adding numbers and keep "breaking" the news.

I think it's fairly obvious from these videos that Japan will be lucky if the death toll is not in the thousands.

Sadly, I would be amazed if the final toll is less than 25,000 dead and probably a lot more. Lots of elderly, children and others that can not get away when something of this magnitude strikes any urban area without warning. Remember they only had minutes from the time of the quake until the first wave hit.

Well said. People saying that the tsunami warnings in Hawaii are "crying wolf" are clueless. The science isn't there to "know" the impact and since the impacts have, historically, been catastrophic in somewhat similar situations, to not issue the warnings would be grossly negligent. Also, some people have been spouting silliness about there never having been big impacts in the past; they need to do a little research or can just read the excerpt, below. Smaller quakes than this one have led to significant numbers of deaths in Hawaii and the West Coast and by the time one would know what the actual impact is, it would be too late to issue warnings and catastrophe would ensue if the impacts were greater than predicted. This isn't the minor impact of predicting 4" of snow and getting 10" of snow.

"The worst big wave to strike the U.S. was a 1946 tsunami caused by a magnitude of 8.1 earthquake near Unimak Islands, Alaska, that killed 165 people, mostly in Hawaii. In 1960, a magnitude 9.5 earthquake in southern Chile caused a tsunami that killed at least 1,716 people, including 61 people in Hilo. It also destroyed most of that city's downtown. On the U.S. mainland, a 1964 tsunami from a 9.2 magnitude earthquake in Prince William Sound, Alaska, struck Washington State, Oregon and California. It killed 128 people, including 11 in Crescent City, Calif."

Yeah I don't get it either. A days worth of "inconvenience" for something that happens less than once a year is likely going to be appreciated a lot by the folks who live in the prone areas. Trying to compare this to ones experience in TV weather in the states is plain silly.

Thankfully he made this comment here--pretty much invalidating his entire pointless argument.

"Has there ever been an instance where an earthquake that far away from HI has caused major problems in HI? And tsunami warnings for the west coast of the US? Really".

DAMAGING WAVES HAVE BEEN OBSERVED ACROSS HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. WAVES

HAVE ARRIVED AT CRESCENT CITY CAUSING DAMAGE TO HARBOR STRUCTURES

AND BOATS. WAVES HAVE BROKEN OVER THE SPIT AT STONE LAGOON AND HAVE

BEEN OBSERVED IN HUMBOLDT BAY. A 2-4 FOOT FLOOD WAVE WAS REPORTED

MOVING UP THE MAD RIVER AT 8:45 AM PST. DAMAGING WAVES WILL CONTINUE

FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

922 AM PST FRI MAR 11 2011

BASED ON THE LATEST TELECONFERENCE AND PRELIMINARY MODEL

INFORMATION...THERE IS NO CHANGE TO THE EXPECTED FORECAST TSUNAMI

AMPLITUDES ALONG THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA COAST. COASTAL AREAS NORTH

OF POINT CONCEPTION WILL EXPERIENCE A TSUNAMI INUNDATION BETWEEN 3.5

TO 7 FEET. CURRENTLY...THE TIDE GAGE AT PORT SAN LUIS HAS REPORTED

AN INITIAL TSUNAMI SURGE HEIGHT OF JUST OVER 2 FEET. THROUGH THE

MORNING...HIGHER TSUNAMI SURGES ARE EXPECTED...POSSIBLY PEAKING TO 7

FEET. FOR AREAS SOUTH OF POINT CONCEPTION...EXPECTED TSUNAMI SURGE

HEIGHTS OF 2 TO 3.5 FEET CAN BE EXPECTED FROM SANTA BARBARA TO

LONG BEACH.

THE INITIAL TSUNAMI SURGE IS CURRENTLY ARRIVING ALONG THE COAST OF

SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA....INCLUDING INITIAL DETECTIONS ON THE TIDE

GAGE IN SANTA MONICA HARBOR. THROUGH THE DAY...TSUNAMI SURGES WILL

CONTINUE.

It appears that Cresent City has seen the worst (as it usually does due to it's "ideal coastline.") The gauge residual hit 7.26ft and they have received 5 waves so far.

In 2005 I stayed at a tiny motel on the beach in Crescent City...I wonder how it fared. I remember thinking at the time that it was going to be toast in any major tsunami.

In 2005 I stayed at a tiny motel on the beach in Crescent City...I wonder how it fared. I remember thinking at the time that it was going to be toast in any major tsunami.

Crescent City hit 21 ft during the 1964 Alaska earthquake/tsunami. It's one of those "perfect" coastlines. They would get some crazy storm surges if there were hurricanes over there lol.

Don't know if already posted but here is great video of the tsunami rolling across Japan dragging buildings, vehicles, everything along with it. fires everywhere too. Incredible video must see!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8375389/Massive-tsunami-hits-Japan-after-earthquake.html

Crescent City hit 21 ft during the 1964 Alaska earthquake/tsunami. It's one of those "perfect" coastlines. They would get some crazy storm surges if there were hurricanes over there lol.

Oh yeah...they have all sorts of places in town where there are markers noting the '64 waterline. It's a beautiful area...that whole coastline from SF north to the mouth of the Columbia is amazing.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MEDFORD OR

1000 AM PST FRI MAR 11 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0957 AM SEICHE PISTOL RIVER 42.28N 124.39W

03/11/2011 CURRY OR EMERGENCY MNGR

TWO MEN WERE SWEPT OFF ROCKS IN THE PISTOL RIVER AND

PUSHED 50 YARDS OFFSHORE. A RESCUE WAS BEING ATTEMPTED.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MEDFORD OR

950 AM PST FRI MAR 11 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0947 AM SEICHE BROOKINGS 42.06N 124.29W

03/11/2011 CURRY OR TRAINED SPOTTER

WEATHER SPOTTER 1/4 MILE MILE UPSTREAM OF THE MOUTH OF

THE CHETCO RIVER REPORTS 2 TO 4 FOOT RISES ON THE RIVER.

SPOTTER CAN ALSO SEE THE PORT OF BROOKINGS AND HAS

OBSERVED THAT A SMALL DOCK BROKE LOOSE, OTHERWISE NO

DAMAGE IN THE HARBOR SEEN.

Don't know if already posted but here is great video of the tsunami rolling across Japan dragging buildings, vehicles, everything along with it. fires everywhere too. Incredible video must see!!!

http://www.telegraph...earthquake.html

5 minute version of the wave going over the farmland and homes/buildings with debris on fire(this was live on CNN at the time i think)

Archived