Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9.0 Earthquake strikes Japan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it isn't a 50 foot wall of water penetrating a mile inland and destroying everything in its path it's considered a "fail" by people.

Even a small event can put people at danger of literally being swept away and crushed. The anchor who called this a "fail" should be written up or put on leave!

world nuclear news updating fairly regularly on the Japanese nukes

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS_Massive_earthquake_hits_Japan_1103111.html

So far so good with regards to any rediation leaking. Some coolant has leaked into the containment building (which is built specifically for this type of thing), but so far nothing into the atmosphere

how are random small quakes in the middle of the north american plate relevant?

we get this here every time there is a quake.. people try to make connections that arent there

I'm not sure how a 7-foot rise Kahului can equate into a #fail, but I guess if it's not in Honolulu under someone's nose, then....

In fact it was right on the forecast (+/- 1 foot). I think the problem is that everyone seems to expect images like Indonesia, with a huge wave crashing onshore and running inland. Most tsunamis don't act like that. Just like most snowstorms don't drop 3 feet, and most tornadoes aren't EF5s.

how are random small quakes in the middle of the north american plate relevant?

To the current quake in Japan? Not at all. To the folks living in the vicinity of the New Madrid fault.........still not relevant to the current quake, but always a good time to mention to those folks what a major quake there would mean to cities like St. Louis with construction codes nowhere near as quake proof as those in more active regions.

If LA gets an earthquake anywhere near the strength of this earthquake, the damage would be unimagineable. Japan is the most prepared country in world for earthquakes.

As far as I know, Japan is the only country that has any kind of developed early quake warning system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_8ZkBXVvMw

In fact it was right on the forecast (+/- 1 foot). I think the problem is that everyone seems to expect images like Indonesia, with a huge wave crashing onshore and running inland. Most tsunamis don't act like that. Just like most snowstorms don't drop 3 feet, and most tornadoes aren't EF5s.

Exactly , as others have said if its not a wall of death some people think its a 'letdown' or something mental like that.

Hope people aren't caught out by the wave, also hope the damage isn't as bad as feared in Japan, whilst they are well prepared in that country, 8.9 is still huge!

Archived