Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
9.0 Earthquake strikes Japan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd probably crap my pants if I was on a hill watching that happen.

Yeah but i'm glad those people were able to get out. Imagine if this had been at 3am instead and everyone was disoriented after the quake they may not have gotten up to high ground in time.

I just read a story where 3 or 4 of Japan's nuke plants are having trouble right now. One is on fire, also.

Can the radioactive steam harm humans?

The fire is out. It isn't the healthiest thing, but they have evacuated the area around it.

One would assume the East coast is an aftershock - while the West cost is a totally different quake.

The definition of an aftershock isn't completely cut-and-dried; usually it's an aftershock if it's in the rupture zone of the mainshock.

It's possible that something outside the rupture zone (the western Honshu one) is a triggered quake.

subject now says 9.1. DId they upgrade the magnitude?

9.1? We're closing in on 2004 territory.

I was watching a seismologist talking about how megaquakes (8+) are cyclic in nature and how we were in a lull for decades and now we're in a period of higher megaquake activity-- sort of like what happens with hurricanes. He said that analyzing the data from the recent uptick in activity will help in better predict megaquakes, how long these megaquake cycles last and what causes their cyclic nature.

subject now says 9.1. DId they upgrade the magnitude?

USGS site still has 8.9, but still has "This is a computer-generated message -- this event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist."

For quakes this big it can take MONTHS to figure out the actual Moment Magnitude. One problem is it saturates basically all sensors.

It's sort of like Tornadoes and the EF scale - it's not just reading a number off an instrument.

I was watching a seismologist talking about how megaquakes (8+) are cyclic in nature and how we were in a lull for decades and now we're in a period of higher megaquake activity-- sort of like what happens with hurricanes. He said that analyzing the data from the recent uptick in activity will help in better predict megaquakes, how long these megaquake cycles last and what causes their cyclic nature.

Yeah, there was an article in the Journal of the Seismological Society of America about 3 years ago, I think, speculating on a worldwide decadal cycle of large subduction earthquakes.

So it's legitimate - I only say that because there's SO much idiotic kookism trying to link quakes together or to other phenomena out there on the internet. And I'm not even talking about the End Times Apocalyptikook nutters.

The definition of an aftershock isn't completely cut-and-dried; usually it's an aftershock if it's in the rupture zone of the mainshock.

It's possible that something outside the rupture zone (the western Honshu one) is a triggered quake.

Yeah... I'm just assuming that since the 6.2 occurred on the other side of the country, it would be seperate from all the others.

As long as nobody starts taking about the apocalypse :) With the interwebz these days--fear spreads fast.

Archived