joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 9-10 Event

Ji

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....and my car that can carry the Kayak is out-of-service.

Kinda looking forward to filming some flooding, but also not really. From watching the TV mets (not much time to watch the models myself), but there seems to be some question as to whether it's going to be west of I-270 or east. But generally they seem to stick with Fairfax, Loudoun, Montgomery, Frederick being at least partly touching the bulls eye.

I'm kinda doubtful on the 3" + they are talking about though. I'd have to re-read the threads here, but seems the TV (and NWS) tend to overdo the rainfall calls, or at least my perception is that.

I'll be watching for a dry slot just before the cold front... looking to see a separate line of storms form behind the big batch of precipitation. VA could be under the gun for some quick afternoon heating followed by strong/severe storms.

SPC seems to be putting their money on the front line of storms:

day2probotlk_20110309_0700_any_prt.gif

Only problem is it wasn't warm nor wet.

Maybe your enhanced elevation out there in the wilds of suburban DC made a difference, but I seem to recall several rainstorms this winter followed by long cold dry stretches. I guess when you are Ji and you have redefined all sorts of terms and concepts to fit your odd pathology, it might make sense to call a driving rain at 43 degrees a "cold/dry" storm.

The fact seems to remain that we didn't get much precip when it was cold and when it warmed up it started to rain.

Maybe your enhanced elevation out there in the wilds of suburban DC made a difference, but I seem to recall several rainstorms this winter followed by long cold dry stretches. I guess when you are Ji and you have redefined all sorts of terms and concepts to fit your odd pathology, it might make sense to call a driving rain at 43 degrees a "cold/dry" storm.

The fact seems to remain that we didn't get much precip when it was cold and when it warmed up it started to rain.

wrong like usual

January. We had 1.87 of QPF.at IAD. We were almost 2 inches below normal in qpf

99% of it was frozen including 1.31 in the Jan 27 storm

December

We had 1.47 QPF at IAD...waaaaaaaaay below average

.74 of it was on Dec 1 where its not suppose to snow anyway. We had .18 of qpf on Dec 16 which was all snow and then there wasnt any qpf the rest of the month

Basically from Dec 16 to the end of January, we saw no rain. All the precip was snow or frozen

I would have to fall on the side of the problem this winter being precip. We lost very little precip to warm temps.

The last storm, Sunday, would have been a huge hit for me with the path the low took had it come in January. It wouldn't have been good for those to my east, but it was very close to being a good snow for me in March.

Anyway, this storm, in the models, is now starting to take on the appearance of Sunday's event. This one might be too far west for me, but it looks like somebody to the west of the low is going to get snow, and not that far from us.

wrong like usual

January. We had 1.87 of QPF.at IAD. We were almost 2 inches below normal in qpf

99% of it was frozen including 1.31 in the Jan 27 storm

December

We had 1.47 QPF at IAD...waaaaaaaaay below average

.74 of it was on Dec 1 where its not suppose to snow anyway. We had .18 of qpf on Dec 16 which was all snow and then there wasnt any qpf the rest of the month

Basically from Dec 16 to the end of January, we saw no rain. All the precip was snow or frozen

:lol:

You don't seem to understand the concept here, Ji. Your post just made my point well.

:lol:

You don't seem to understand the concept here, Ji. Your post just made my point well.

I think I see what you are saying. When the weather turned warm in mid Feb, our dry pattern ended as well? With that, I would agree.

I can also see what Ji is saying. From Dec to early Feb, there were really no warm periods. The period around New Years is the only one I can think of. We did get rain, but not very much. So in summary, I think we can say that our lack of snowfall this year was mainly due to lack of precip and not temps.

1630z SPC update is nearly identical to this morning. However, they have included text to talk about the cold front threat I mentioned earlier (which mostly just impacts central/southern VA people):

...FAR NERN SC...ERN NC/VA...

SURFACE COLD FRONT IS FORECAST TO REACH FAR NERN SC BY MID

AFTERNOON...AND THEN ERN NC/VA BY LATE AFTERNOON/EVENING...BEFORE

MOVING OFFSHORE LATE IN THE PERIOD. CLOUD COVER...ACCOMPANIED BY

SHOWERS...WILL LIKELY BE PRESENT AHEAD OF THE FRONT DURING MOST OF

THE AFTERNOON...WHICH WILL LIMIT BOUNDARY LAYER DESTABILIZATION.

HOWEVER...MULTI-MODEL CONSENSUS SHOWS AN AXIS OF WEAK CAPE

DEVELOPING ALONG THE FRONT BY MID AFTERNOON...AND REMAINS JUXTAPOSED

WITH THE BOUNDARY AS IT MOVES TOWARD THE COAST. THIS INSTABILITY

COMBINED WITH STRONG FORCING FOR ASCENT ACCOMPANYING THE APPROACHING

TROUGH/SURFACE COLD FRONT WILL FAVOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF LINE

SEGMENTS. AFTER INITIATION...THIS ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED TO MOVE

QUICKLY DOWNSTREAM ACROSS ERN NC/VA...WITH DAMAGING WINDS

POSSIBLE...PARTICULARLY WITH ANY BOWING STRUCTURES. STRONG LOW-LEVEL

SHEAR WILL ALSO BE IN PLACE ACROSS THE WARM SECTOR...CHARACTERIZED

BY 0-1 KM BULK SHEAR VALUES FROM 30-45 KT...WHICH COULD AID IN

TORNADO DEVELOPMENT.

Archived