12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's likely some thundersnow right now in Allegan County, Michigan (it could be some sleet mixed in there too).

Quite the impressive surprise event, it should produce a quick 1-3". Well not necessarily a surprise, but it's overachieving so far.

Interestingly enough the latest NAM and GFS shows a narrow stripe of .10"-25" over to Detroit and the NAM even has a .25-.50" bullseye over michsnowfreak.

Via Harry it's the heaviest snow he's seen in a long time (heavier than the blizzard), and he's not even in the highest returns.

Wow, according to Wunderground's radar, there were some 60+ DBZ returns for a few frames near Allegan, MI! That's the kind of returns you see in juicy summertime thunderstorms!

Has been some of the most intense snowfall i have seen in a long time here and have only ( Cant believe i am saying only but compared to that yeah ) had some 40dbz stuff pass through. Cant imagine what it must be like under those reds as i am near certain it is all snow. WOW..

Has been some of the most intense snowfall i have seen in a long time here and have only ( Cant believe i am saying only but compared to that yeah ) had some 40dbz stuff pass through. Cant imagine what it must be like under those reds as i am near certain it is all snow. WOW..

Yep, assuming it's not sleet that's easily 3-4" per hour rates up there.

I'm thinking 2-3" for the QC. We are riding the far northern edge of the best precip here. It looks like the area from Quincy to Peoria/Springfield, through northern Indiana and northwest Ohio are in the best areas. Gonna be a close call for LAF, but I think they'll do pretty good after maybe starting out as rain/mix.

I'm thinking 2-3" for the QC. We are riding the far northern edge of the best precip here. It looks like the area from Quincy to Peoria/Springfield, through northern Indiana and northwest Ohio are in the best areas. Gonna be a close call for LAF, but I think they'll do pretty good after maybe starting out as rain/mix.

Yeah, going to have to be careful on the northern side of the precip up here. NAM, etc BUFKIT soundings have been showing a pretty stout dry layer that needs to be overcome. Probably going to be some heartbreak on the north side for a while. But, the good thing is, there's a prolonged period of 20 microbar or better lift bullseyed across the DGZ, so it may not take too long to overwhelm it in some spots.

Yeah, going to have to be careful on the northern side of the precip up here. NAM, etc BUFKIT soundings have been showing a pretty stout dry layer that needs to be overcome. Probably going to be some heartbreak on the north side for a while. But, the good thing is, there's a prolonged period of 20 microbar or better lift bullseyed across the DGZ, so it may not take too long to overwhelm it in some spots.

Yeah it's going to be interesting. I'm hoping for a late northward bump, but chances are the new 00z models have this thing nailed down pretty good. I'd definitely feel better about things from PIA to LAF and DTW.

I think we have a good chance to pick up several inches but I'd still rather be just north of here. I always hate being on the southern edge.

I think we have a good chance to pick up several inches but I'd still rather be just north of here. I always hate being on the southern edge.

Yeah I think a touch north of you guys would be the place to be, but it's going to be close. Any last minute bump south puts you in prime position. At the least you should get a period of very heavy snow following the changeover later tomorrow night. As much as I want another snow, it'd be nice for you guys to cash in on a 10"+ storm this season. :snowman:

Archived